Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

South African tobacco nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Yeah sorry. .it wasn't very civil of me...I thought you were born and bred in southern America.lol

Hey what's that supposed to mean you #@$%&* and put it %$#@!()&. I was born in the southern US. What kind of #$$%^ are you trying to start here you $#$@^^&? Other than that, we're cool. :eek:

jekylnz

You know im only given yous shit...we are all from places that have some questionable pasts..n.z being one of the worst. .I know you guys can take a joke. ..can't you?
There's no point pretending the past didnt happen..the best we can do is joke about it now..we are all past that narrow minded shit...the sooner we're all x bred mongrels the better. .I have about 6 different breeds in me..french.english.welsh.irish.scottish..etc..

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have no particular issue with foul language. Racial slurs and other permutations of hate speech are not permitted on the forum.

Bob

jekylnz

Hey what's that supposed to mean you #@$%&* and put it %$#@!()&. I was born in the southern US. What kind of #$$%^ are you trying to start here you $#$@^^&? Other than that, we're cool. :eek:

Hahahahaaa.rolmao..that one got you going knucks...yous are all good. .I don't mean any offence bro..

And sorry to everyone else to...too many bourbons today. .

squeezyjohn

Going back to the original question which I assume is about nasal snuff ... the process of making it is really quite different from that of making oral tobacco apart from the fact that it has to be finely ground up in to flour first.

For a good snuff - you need nicely aged tobacco lamina (discarding the stems) ground up to the consistency you want - and for a strong one you need to either use a naturally strong variety of tobacco or incorporate some alkali like sodium bicarbonate/sodium carbonate and allow it to react with the tobacco in semi moist conditions. Flavourings are traditionally added by storing the tobacco packed tightly with flowers, herbs etc. - but more modern recipes use small quantities of essential oils and artificial flavouring compounds mixed fully with the snuff.

jekylnz

Do they not use ground stalks as well John? I always thought it was a way to use them up? Also do they mix mullein with it? Or is that just chew etc.?

Not that im in a position to judge..never having tried it..but personally I couldn't think of anything worse than snorting baccy up my nose. .especially with b.s..I thought the reason you don't cut coke with baking soda is so you don't have scones coming out your nose.lol..

squeezyjohn

I'm sure that some nasal snuff makers use stalks to make up bulk - but the best and hardest kicking snuff won't use the stalks because they contain less nicotine than the leaf. Getting tough old stalks ground finely enough for sniffing would take some pretty serious machinery - I speak with experience! However stalks are normally used in snus (moist oral tobacco) - so I can see where the confusion might lie.

The reason for the sodium carbonate is that in it's natural form tobacco leaf is quite acidic and as such most of the nicotine in the leaves is in a form that is not readily absorbed by the mucous membranes of the nose. If you react the tobacco with a small amount of alkali - it raises the pH towards 7 and this makes more of the nicotine available for uptake. If you make it too alkaline it will sting like hell and give you a crazy rush! By the way sodium carbonate is massively more alkaline than baking soda and would normally be used.

If you just mixed tobacco flour and soda together hardly any of it would react together meaning you would just be sniffing up a mix of raw soda and tobacco which would indeed be unpleasant. However - if you dissolve the soda in a little water - spray it on to the tobacco flour, mix well and allow it to dry out again then everything will react together and there will be no remaining soda in the mixture - but the tobacco will have become more alkaline - and it will then have more of a kick to it.

Hope that helps!

jekylnz

I'm sure that some nasal snuff makers use stalks to make up bulk - but the best and hardest kicking snuff won't use the stalks because they contain less nicotine than the leaf. Getting tough old stalks ground finely enough for sniffing would take some pretty serious machinery - I speak with experience! However stalks are normally used in snus (moist oral tobacco) - so I can see where the confusion might lie.

The reason for the sodium carbonate is that in it's natural form tobacco leaf is quite acidic and as such most of the nicotine in the leaves is in a form that is not readily absorbed by the mucous membranes of the nose. If you react the tobacco with a small amount of alkali - it raises the pH towards 7 and this makes more of the nicotine available for uptake. If you make it too alkaline it will sting like hell and give you a crazy rush! By the way sodium carbonate is massively more alkaline than baking soda and would normally be used.

If you just mixed tobacco flour and soda together hardly any of it would react together meaning you would just be sniffing up a mix of raw soda and tobacco which would indeed be unpleasant. However - if you dissolve the soda in a little water - spray it on to the tobacco flour, mix well and allow it to dry out again then everything will react together and there will be no remaining soda in the mixture - but the tobacco will have become more alkaline - and it will then have more of a kick to it.

Hope that helps!

Thanks john .im gonna give it a go. .I no what you mean about the old stalks..After putting some hard old burley stalk in the food processor and watching it go round for ten minutes. I had a look..still in big chunks..with dust everywhere. .decided to use a coffee bean grinder I have laying around. .I used for other stuff. .not coffee. .and out in small amounts at a time. .and it turned into flour ok..not sure if im gunna do snuss.dip.or snuff..may try a bit of them all..can't kick it till I try it.lol

Celsen

I use ammonium bicarbonate, because I love a ammonia kick with my snuff, I have great dark leaves and they are very potent, but I can't seem to preserve the ammonia, if anyone ever had a fresh batch of Ntsu up their nose they would know what I'm speaking about, does anyone have some advice for me, I want to make nasal snuff with a high amount of ammonia in it?

Ben Brand

Never used snuff, but the ammonia sounds a bit rough. That can't be good for you or is it what gives the kick? Will rather stick to cigars, sounds safer than ammonia up my nose.
See one of my worlers are using Nstu, maybe I'll give it a go.

cotillion

I always thought the ammonia was a byproduct of fermentation and not added to the snuff. I've had Ntsu Black and it had the strongest ammonia smell of any snuffs I've tried. It was a little off-putting at first but I soon grew used to it - strong stuff!

Celsen

Ok, I took my first batch of homemade snuff out of my fermentation chamber today, I am happy!!! I got the kick I wanted, high levels of ammonia and a healthy dose of nicotine, I know ammonia is the result of fermentation, but adding the ammonia bicarbonate speeds the fermentation because, ammonia is made of one part nitrogen and three parts hydrogen and that is essential for fermentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.