Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

My homemade tobacco knife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I was little bored the other day due to another snowstorm that came up the coast. I've been thinking of making a tobacco knife for awhile and this downtime gave me a chance. My only real requirement was that it had to be free and functional. I had some left over metal from a project that I was working on so I took a scrap piece of metal and cut out the blade on my chop saw. I didn't measure any angles, just eyed it up and cut. The hickory handle I've had laying around the basement since the last ice age.

DSCN1579.jpg

After I cut the metal I stuck it into my forge to harden, then temper. My forge is actually a Charmaster multi-fuel furnace. I waited for the metal to become cherry red then cooled it in a bucket of used transmission oil.

DSCN1580.jpg

I had intended to use some Corby bolts ( they are kind of like rivets) to attach the blade but didn't have any so I went out to the garage and found some 1/4 inch Grade 8 bolts... and here it is..

DSCN1581.jpg DSCN1582.jpg

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
The Chavetta I made. It is secured with a wing nut to the Sassafrass wood block so that I can hang the thing up on the wall. I screwed in a threaded brass insert into the wood so the wing nut would not loosen up over time. The Tuck cutter was an Ebay purchase.

BigBonner

Founding Member
The best piece of steel to make them out of is old hand saws .
I would hate to have to swing a heavy knife all day long . But small crops it will work just fine and you did a good job .

Here is a picture of the ones I use
2NgJKbq.jpg

Dean

Nice, I have made a few knives and axes from rail way pegs over the years, I have also played with Damascus. A lot of work and two blokes slugging away to fold it. I love metallurgy it's a good hobby. I have even made hunting heads for my longbow. Next on my list is a baccy knife and chevita.

BarG

Founding Member
For the few I have to whack I use a old army surplus machete. Nice looking tool there ,Boredom is a wonderful thing.
Gets you to thinking.

rustycase

That is a nice chopper you made, JBD !
Medieval looking, for sure!

I've been digging them up, letting 'em lay for 3 or 4 days, then using a lopper on 'em.

25wb1.jpg

Not as much fun as a tool like yours.
:)
rc

Brown Thumb

I missed this post, Nice Cutter you got their. My boy would love to have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.