Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

DonH's 2014 Grow Log

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Tobaccoman

I heard on the radio today that there's an infestation of some kind of unusual fruit fly in New England destroying berry crops. I think I may have them on my tobacco, but no need to worry, they all die after their first taste. There are zillions of little fly corpses on my leaves. I've never seen that particular type. They're not very smart in any case.

Have not seen what you describe (yet) on the Cape. There are sure a lot of very odd looking bugs and swarms of no-see-ums. Once my seedlings took root they have not been bothered by any bugs. A number of little toads and Daddy Longlegs spiders have taken up residence among my tobacco plants, and I guess they will eat bugs, so I have left off spraying.

CT

DonH

Long overdue for an update. Lots of good and bad things for my 2014 grow, but more good than bad. I've been traveling constantly for work for the last 10 weeks, sometimes getting home well after midnight Friday and leaving again on Sunday. Which was a problem for keeping up with the weeds and, lately, harvesting and curing. Luckily we haven't had a frost and have had a nice warm, dry fall. Which is huge because I couldn't put the plants I the ground until late June since that's when we moved to the new place. So I still haven't primed more than 1/3 of my leaves. But I'll be home on Wednesday night so I'll pick the rest this week. But if the weather holds out I should get seed, too, which I didn't expect.

The big change from my old place is the curing space. I used to cure in an unattached garage, which would start getting cold at night around now, but the variation in humidity kept the leaves from drying green, and I also used the pile color curing method, but the stems took a long time to dry. Our new place has a large dry basement (a great thing to have in general, esp. in New England!) But for the first priming I had some green drying. I wasn't home long enough to pile color cure for that batch. I then opened some windows in the basement to bring in more humidity and cooler air. The nice thing is once everything's color cured, I can dry the stems quickly- there's even a wood stove in the basement.

The only other negatives: the plants are only half as tall as they would be if I got them in the ground a month early, but I have a lot of plants, so that should be OK. Next year I'm going to find a spot with more sun and let my wife grow vegetables in the existing plot.

On the plus side, hardly any pests! Only one application or Thuricide all season.

Brown Thumb

For all the give and take, sounds like you will finish well.
I have to agree, Good to see you are settled in and working out you air drying conditions. I am amazed at your dedication of saving the starts!

DonH

Some pics.
IMG_0728sm.jpg

Reams 158. Awesome plant, huge leaves.
IMG_0729sm.jpg

New England fall color.
IMG_0730sm.jpg

Close spaced Orientals.
IMG_0731sm.jpg

Flue Cured.
IMG_0732sm.jpg

Basement curing area. I attached some 8ft 2x4s to the 2x4's in the ceiling.
IMG_0734sm.jpg

Brown Thumb

Very nice, Looks like you got Black Gold Soil thrown in with the deal also.

Rickey60

Reams 158 is one I was thinking about growing next year. Do you think it would be a good cigarette choice?

DonH

Reams 158 is one I was thinking about growing next year. Do you think it would be a good cigarette choice?
Yes, I smoked some today, totally unaged and I'm sure it will be great for cigarettes. Knucks grew it last year and liked it a lot.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Yes, I smoked some today, totally unaged and I'm sure it will be great for cigarettes. Knucks grew it last year and liked it a lot.

Yes, I love the Reams 158. It and Costello Negro from Skychaser will be the only two flue cure varieties I grow next year for my personal leaf grow. I love the huge closely spaced leaves. It's a beautiful plant. I sun cured mine last year and it did really well. Sweetness of the sun cured Reams 158 falls between air cured and flue cured.

Great season Don. No fall colors here yet. It's been dry this past month, we need some rain.

DonH

I have my flue cured (but I had to air cure them) and Turkish out of the kiln. Keepers: Hickory Pryor, Silk Leaf, Reams 158, Gold Dollar, Gold Leaf 939, African Red, and Virginia Bright Leaf. It's the third year I've grown VBL, I grew a lot this year and it's good, but not as good tasting as the other keepers, so I may not grow it next year. It had a harder time color curing than the others, too. That said, for some reason it is way higher in nicotine than the others. May be the stalk position of the leaves I shredded. Non-keepers: Bonanza and White Mammoth. They just don't taste as good. I got about 11 pounds of flue cured types. Not as much as I wanted but I planted late and it should be enough to get me through the year.

As for the Turkish, it was a huge success growing it in the traditional way for the first time. Close spacing and letting them flower. My Izmir is out of this world good. Very perfumey. The Alma Ata also has a nice spice flavor to it, more piney than the Izmir which is more flowery, almost jasmine like. The Djebel and Basma have a more traditional flue cured taste to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.