Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

DonH's 2014 Grow Log

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonH

I spend the day watching basketball and planting tobacco seeds-- a good day! I seeded four 72-cell trays, twice what I did last year. Last year I lost a lot of seedlings to some kind of insect, so I wanted to be sure I had enough of each variety. I went heavy on the flue cured and Turkish this time, that what I am most in danger of running out of. I only planted two kinds of Burley and that just for seed. I have quite a bit of TN90, YTB, and Kelly Burley all cured and stored and a bit of Harrow Velvet. I didn't get seeds from the TN90 and Harrow Velvet last year, so those are the only two Burleys I have this year. Also, there is not a lot of duplication between this year and last year-- I wanted to build my seed bank and try new varieties. But I do plan to plant a lot of Virginia Bright Leaf which is my favorite and the one I use the most.

The list:

Flue Cured
Virginia Bright Leaf
Silk Leaf
Reams 158
Gold Leaf 939
Hickory Pryor
White Mammoth
Bonanza
Gold Dollar
African Red

Dark Virginia
Shirey

Burley
TN90
Harrow Velvet

Cigar
Lonnie's Havana
PA Broadleaf
Swarr

Turkish
Yayladag
Izmir Ozbas
Shirazi
Alma Ata 315
Djebel 174
Harmanliiska Basma 163

Miscellaneous
Perique
Aztec Rustica

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Good looking list. You have the bases covered. Good luck with your season. Are you shooting for the end of May to transplant?

Rickey60

Nothing like watching basketball and planting seed. I spent yesterday watching basketball and thining sprouts. Good luck with your grow.

DonH

Good looking list. You have the bases covered. Good luck with your season. Are you shooting for the end of May to transplant?
Yes, in my climate around Memorial Day is a good time to plant things that can't handle hard frosts.

rainmax

Founding Member
I wanted to build my seed bank and try new varieties. But I do plan to plant a lot of Virginia Bright Leaf which is my favorite and the one I use the most.
Flue Cured
Virginia Bright Leaf

I'm thinking quite same this year. Virginia, cigars, seeds....
Good luck. When season finish we can trade some seeds.

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
The white mammoth is the one your gonna want to give a lot of root space to. That plant, given good care will turn into a beast.

Let me know how the Virginia bright leaf grows. last year I had about a third of them grow yellow for no apparent reason. they weren't sickly and they were just as good as the green plants. With in time the leaf did turn green but I found it odd. for seed though I baged only the ones that were green. I'm not sure, but my guess is that there was a genetic variation amongst them. the original seed I got was from new hope seeds.

DonH

The Bright Leaf I planted was from my seeds, which you should have some of, too, since we did a swap. Maybe you could compare. Thanks for the warning on the White Mammoth!

DonH

Seedlings are coming along nicely, but a complication came up. Possibly bad for the short term but good long term. We sold our house! It's been on the market since last July. We are looking for a place with more land. Our house now is on 3 quarters of an acre, and were looking at some 10 acre properties. Our realtor Saturday said the buyers want to take possession on May 23rd. We thought that was too soon, because we hadn't yet offered on a house, so we got them to agree to June 23. I completely forgot about the tobacco planting timing! So we think we'll be able to offer on a place this week, so I'm thinking of asking if we can push the date back to May. If the buyer and the seller agree, I'm fine, but if not, I think late June is too late to plant in this climate.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Seedlings are coming along nicely, but a complication came up. Possibly bad for the short term but good long term. We sold our house! It's been on the market since last July. We are looking for a place with more land. Our house now is on 3 quarters of an acre, and were looking at some 10 acre properties. Our realtor Saturday said the buyers want to take possession on May 23rd. We thought that was too soon, because we hadn't yet offered on a house, so we got them to agree to June 23. I completely forgot about the tobacco planting timing! So we think we'll be able to offer on a place this week, so I'm thinking of asking if we can push the date back to May. If the buyer and the seller agree, I'm fine, but if not, I think late June is too late to plant in this climate.

Hmm, well, Great news, congratulations! and, aw, man, that's too bad, I feel for you.

DonH

So let's say I do get access to the new house by June 1. What's the best and quickest way to bust up sod to make a garden plot? What equipment should I rent/buy?

Jpcouling

You could do a raised bed or "Back to Eden" garden which we are experimenting with at the farm this year. Take a layer of newspaper, layer of nicely decomposing wood chips, and then layer that with some good soil. You can make it as long,tall, or wide as you wish and will last many years of use.

BarG

Founding Member
A tiller works great on new sod. I reccomend more than 1 time up to 3 or 4 though so renting would be uneconomical.

DonH

You could do a raised bed or "Back to Eden" garden which we are experimenting with at the farm this year. Take a layer of newspaper, layer of nicely decomposing wood chips, and then layer that with some good soil. You can make it as long,tall, or wide as you wish and will last many years of use.
The problem with that is I wouldn't be able to use it until next year. I would need to get the thing ready within a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.