Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

flue curing in the wifes oven

Status
Not open for further replies.

jekylnz

Last night I thought id give the oven a go doing abit of leaf I had laying around. .I started it at about 10 pm at approx 100-105 f for about 4 hours till everything had yellowed..then increased it to 110-125f for another 12 hours till it was fully dry..it turned out abit brown. .but it works better than I expected. .
13957090738430.jpg

leverhead

It looks like you had fun! Either you have a very understanding wife or you should think about when you need to untie her. If you bring the leaves back to order, they won't crumble so bad when thrown at you.

DGBAMA

I like dinner too much to tire up the wife's oven that long.

(and I don't want My baccy thrown at me)

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Good job! I'm going to keep an eye out for this thread for when you change it to "flue curing in the EX-WIFE'S oven"....women don't like when you mess with kitchen stuff for some strange reason. I mean, an oven is an oven. You can bake bread in it, flue cure, dry out car parts .. endless possibilities!

Dean

So how does it smoke? I have been thinking along the same lines as you but haven't had the leaf to try it on.

jekylnz

She's pretty use to me doing all sorts of stuff in the kitchen. .and I'm the one that teaches her how to cook.lol..
And if she wants to keep smoking she'll have to put up with whatever. .I've already taken over the dining room table.hahaa..still yet to clean from last time rolling :rolleyes:
13957512902920.jpg
Half covered in my tattoo gear and the rest my cigar toys

jekylnz

So how does it smoke? I have been thinking along the same lines as you but haven't had the leaf to try it on.
Sorry Dean....yeah not too bad. .tastes a bit fresh still. .I imagine that the longer and slower you do it the better. .but it's my first real chance I've had to try shirey dark. .and its pretty good. ..I like a strong smoke

CT Tobaccoman

I just came across this. Been wondering about curing flue cure tobacco in the oven. I have used the oven to sweat cigar wrapper but one must constantly mist it when heat is on, or put pans of boiling water underneath constantly. I worked hard on it with mediocre results.

But for flue curing, maybe it's worth a try. I hope to grow some flue cure next summer and maybe this is how I can cure it. After all, it is the same basic thing as the flue curing chambers that people are making. Probably would be good idea to put a sheet of aluminum foil on the bottom rack, or some other non heat conducting kind of thing so the tobacco doesn't burn from being so close to the heat source. Don't want to cook it, just want the heat.

Real flue curing means having the heat source outside the curing chamber and drawing the heat into it. None of the home made curing chambers I've seen here actually do that, so why NOT use the kitchen oven? Small batches, of course, and also the leaves need to be protected from hot sides and oven racks. Sounds doable to me, at no expense but electricity. Probably a gas oven wouldn't work so well, maybe.

That tobacco looks like it came out fine. Anybody think this is insane?

janetta007

How could you control the moisture level if you have water pans in it constantly? Maybe monitor a test run without tobacco.

CT Tobaccoman

How could you control the moisture level if you have water pans in it constantly? Maybe monitor a test run without tobacco.

I think it would be a "seat of the pants" kind of thing, if I were to do it. I'd just roughly try to achieve something near optimal conditions. Obviously you cant achieve optimal conditions in a kitchen oven for curing or sweating tobacco, but one probably would come out with something smokable. It looks like jekylnz, who started this thread did pretty good.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Tobacco meat loaf. Hum? And tobacco ink? What a Man.. I can have only one thing on the table at a time. I used the kitchen and laudery room last start. Now it is the way I want to do the next one this week. Seed pods today, and the living room the next two weeks to roll cigars. I just had to get Her involved. Honey will You help Me roll some sticks? Mad-

Brown Thumb

Wife went to bed I am gonna sneak this perique patty in the oven with my dinner.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 27

Texasgrown

Man you guys are brave. I once brewed beer oh the range and my wife lost her marbles over it. She said the house smelt like a brewery and was bent all weekend! Couldn't imagine with tobacco in the oven. I am better off buying a box heater, cardboard refrigerator box, a temp gauge, and some cookie sheets to hold the water for humidity lol. At least when she sees it in the garage she will think we got a new appliance.

Smokin Harley

Good job! I'm going to keep an eye out for this thread for when you change it to "flue curing in the EX-WIFE'S oven"....women don't like when you mess with kitchen stuff for some strange reason. I mean, an oven is an oven. You can bake bread in it, flue cure, dry out car parts .. endless possibilities!

I have heated up Kydex in ours....made a couple pistol holsters .

Smokin Harley

Man you guys are brave. I once brewed beer oh the range and my wife lost her marbles over it. She said the house smelt like a brewery and was bent all weekend! Couldn't imagine with tobacco in the oven. I am better off buying a box heater, cardboard refrigerator box, a temp gauge, and some cookie sheets to hold the water for humidity lol. At least when she sees it in the garage she will think we got a new appliance.

My wife would be the one buying me the home brewery rig. She loves all my hobbies and loves to watch or help me do them. I've taught her a lot of cool stuff.. Lets see what all do I do - gardening,hunt morels, cook,fish,hunt(someday again),leather work,sew(helped my taxidermy stint years ago),wrench my own bike,woodworking,roll tobacco,fabricate stuff. and someday soon I plan on teaching her how to shoot a gun.
Her ex didnt do a damn thing except sit in his chair shove his hand in his pants , drink cheap beer and smoke cheap cigarettes all hours of the night and bitch about work on the phone to his buddies ,mostly he just made her cry.
I'd like to send him a thank you card someday ,shes says it'd be a bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.