Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New Cigar tobaccos now available

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I just got four new types of cigar tobacco in. Two new wrappers...San Andres and Hanaba 2000 and two binders, Dominican and Sumatra.

I also brought in some genuine Chavetas from the Dominican Republic. These chavetas are hand made by people who supply the cigar industry in the Dominican. I'm guessing they are well made. See them here

Special offer to FTT members only... Mention Knuckleheads name and pay double for your order.

Last edited:

Nikfits

What if I mention his name backwards?
daehelkcunK...

Your killin' me! I just had to click the link, lol.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Review of Sumatra binder and San Andrés wrapper.

Sumatra binder:
Don's Sumatra "binder" bears a close resemblance to Indonesian Bezuki (not surprising, since the island of Sumatra is a part of Indonesia). Famed Sumatra wrapper is grown from a variety called Deli, after the Deli River in Sumatra. [In the early 20th century, the dominance of Sumatra wrappers in the American market caused the USDA to aggressively develop what has become known as CT Shade, in order to compete.]

I believe that this lot of Sumatra binder is simply Sumatra Deli of a slightly less perfect grade than wrapper, but there's no way to be certain. A typical sample leaf of this Sumatra binder is somewhat smaller than the Bezuki wrappers, but still large enough to wrap one of my 52 x 7" honkers. Also typical is that one leaf half has a few minor holes, while the other half is intact. So...one thin-veined leaf provides a nice binder and a nice wrapper. Sumatra is slightly thinner and less forgiving than Bezuki, but with moderate care, serves well as either binder or wrapper. At its remarkably low price, it makes an economical choice for both wrapper and binder.

Like Bezuki, the taste of Sumatra binder is fairly neutral, and burns well, producing a fine, toothy, white ash. With the Bezuki now out of stock, Don's Sumatra binder is a good introduction to Indonesian wrappers.

San Andrés wrapper:
Long recognized for its outstanding cigar leaf, the San Andrés Valley of Mexico (running along the Gulf coast) produces premium tobacco. Unique to the processing of cigar leaf, Mexican tobacco is cured over open fires. Now, this is not the same as the smoldering, smoky sawdust fire-curing of American fire-cured tobacco. But, is simply heat from open fires. So the leaf takes on a distinctive, earthy taste and dusky color that can be recognized in the famous Mexican cigars, such as Te Amo and Santa Clara.

The San Andrés wrapper that I received has not been ironed flat, but is easily stemmed and spread for rolling. Its color is a deep rosado (a kind of reddish tone between dark EMS and Maduro). It is durable, stretchy and functions well as a wrapper--thicker lamina and veins than Sumatra, but thinner lamina and veins than CT Broadleaf. Burn is excellent, forming a gray-white ash.

If you like earthy flavors and aromas in you cigars, San Andrés wrapper is a great choice.

Bob

webmost

Deluxe, that right there, that is the single most useful review of leaf varieties I have seen. Don ought to put YOUR copy on his WLT site for product descriptions. XLNT.

Do you have or can you write up similarly useful reviews of Don's other leaves? In particular, I would be fascinated to read your impression of the leaf I just got yesterday, as seen here: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/4116-Need-a-Blender ... but any collection of descriptions like this would be terribly useful to leaf shoppers in future.

Hey, and since you obviously know your stuff, take a stab at a blend on that "need a blender" page, and I promise to roll you some. We'll call that line Deluxe Stogies.

BTW, and while we're on the subject of giving away, I intend to put your generous gift of fire cured Shirazi to good use shortly. Did I send you some of the PA fire cured I got from FX Smith's Sons yet? I don't remember. If not, shoot me a message and I will mail you some along with your Deluxe Stogies. He rolled them for a fellow in Pittsburgh are who is trying to get a boutique cigar line off the ground. They're yummy.

Spring is springing. Hate to waste such a fine day doing taxes....

Status
Not open for further replies.