Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Anyone smoking Prilep P66-9/7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean

Hows it taste, I'll be growing some this season from August. I love the look of it more than anything. I have been enjoying the Samsun and Bafra I have been growing so wondering how it differs. I actually prefer both in my mix with VG and dark using the two really rounds out the smoke or just melds flavours for a better smoking product.

cheers.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Prilep P66-9/7 is incredibly productive. Do make an attempt to sun-cure it. Even the suckers are prolific and cure well. It produces a reddish-gold leaf that is richly aromatic, but not particularly a floral aroma. I've used it in a number of English-style pipe blends. It's been described as "tobacco candy," and is really remarkable and unique.

It's also one of the few Oriental varieties that flue-cure perfectly.

When I decided to allow suckers to grow on the originally primed stalks, it went crazy with growth. I ultimately stalk-harvested the huge sucker growth, and just hung the entire stalks on the clothes line, where they sun-cured nicely, and with little attention (though it was generally cloudy for the few weeks that they were hanging). I then moved the stalks into the shed to finish up. After a month of kilning, they retained their lovely color and delicious aroma.

Prilep is relatively low in nicotine, and serves to add a yummy undertone to Latakia pipe blends.

I consider it a winner as a choice for Oriental tobacco. Plus, it is attractive in the garden.

Bob

Dean

Thankyou Bob I think that sums it up nicely. Are you the only one who grew before sky chaser got the seed? Feel happy it got to oz and will be shared. What spacing were you using? I am finding the best leaf comes from 12" here Samsun I like at a larger spacing! it seems too floral if that's the word at a smaller spacing! it's just hard to smoke comfortably too strong in floral maybe. The Bafra I enjoy at their 12" easy to sun cure and rounded. Enough tobacco flavor with enough oriental flavour. I enjoy the in the nose Bafra notes with the mouth taste of the Samsun. The Samsun grown at close spacing is too much for me and I don't enjoy it as much even toned down in a cigarette if that makes sense. I am smoking a cigg of around 30% oriental as I write this and can pull both flavours from it.

thanks for the reply. The YTB and VG gold sent from here are doing well and I'll reckon both are not photosensitive. Although I could be wrong but many have seeded early with the initiation of autumn some burleys and most cigar strains, none of the VG brights or darks. Kelley especially is powering on for a late season grow. Orinoco which I thaught would go has not also.

I was a camel smoker till they hit 30 dollars a pack of 25. I actually prefer the Bafra sun cured bland I am smoking now, it is a lot more in the nose and yes it is floral so to speak. I can't get a smother ciggy. The boys at work commented today from 100m all I can smell from up the hill is your smokes can I have one lol

Dean.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I plant them at ~12" spacing in all directions. Another unique aspect of this variety is that there exists a published paper describing it (from researchers in Prilep, Macedonia). I would suggest you download the 3 page pdf for a good read.

Dimitrieski M and Miceska G: A NEW AND MORE PRODUCTIVE VARIETY OF PRILEP TOBACCO.
http://www.diagnosisp.com/dp/journa...nal_id=1&archive=0&issue_id=27&article_id=931

One of their key findings, in developing this particular variety, is that although the leaf size and number is similar to other Prilep varieties, the dry mass of the leaf (per plant) outperforms the others.

Bob

Planter

Thanks for that link! A really interesting paper which answers basically all questions incl. planting density, transplanting and harvesting dates.

Planter

3000kg/ha dry tobacco yield comes to about 20g/plant considering the densities mentioned in the article - I think I averaged a bit less than 18g/plant last year with other Orientals.

Deluxestogie, did your Prileps change colour as much as in the left hand picture of the article?

holyRYO

20g/plant is .7 oz, not much, roughly equivalent to a 1/2 pouch of OTC tobacco. Makes up for it with high planting density, overall yield per acre is up there.

Certainly a pretty plant, have to love that leaf shape.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
...did your Prileps change colour as much as in the left hand picture of the article?
The leaf on the bottom is fully ripe. Any leaf will do that. I primed the primary growth when each leaf reached maturity (thickened and bumpy surface, maybe with slight yellowing at the tip).

Bob

Planter

I have never seen tobacco ripen so evenly as that picture suggests. Anyway, after a weak start my Prilep seedlings are finally catching up, so I´ll probably soon get a look at it myself.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My guess is that any pattern of leaf ripening in any variety (in any locale) is related closely to:
  • the variety
  • the soil nutrients
  • timing of nutrient additives
  • the profile of soil moisture throughout a particular growing season
  • the weather pattern during a specific growing season
Bob

istanbulin

Founding Member
...When I decided to allow suckers to grow on the originally primed stalks, it went crazy with growth....

Prilep suckers really grow vigorously. Last year I cut the stalks and let them give ground suckers, they grow good but leaf shape was elongated than the real leaves, they were really off shape. They didn't cure well because of the cool weather of the late fall. I think growing suckers on original stalks is better, as what you did.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
"Decided" sounds like a conscious decision. Prilep seems to sucker from many (most) nodes all at once--and repeatedly. What I "decided" was to give up on trying to control the suckers on the Prilep. It was more of a surrender, in the guise of experimental observation. It did turn out well.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.