Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Seed germination - is freshness an issue?

I only ask because I have 4 varieties germinating at the moment and two come from fellow FTT members, whereas two were bought from a US based seed supplier (sustainable seed co.) - the two varieties sent to me by a generous FTT member have started sprouting and putting up the baby leaves - whereas the seeds from sustainable seed co are showing no signs of life yet.

Do you think this is a freshness issue? Or are the bright-leaf types slower to come up than Burleys

The varieties from MarkW are: Silver River & YTB - up and running nicely

The varieties from Sustainable seed co are: African Red & Oxford 207

Thanks in advance

Squeezy

Re: Seed germination - is freshness an issue?

i know some varieties take longer to come up than others. i once started more than one kind of seed in the same starter tray and had to leave on the cover longer than i would have liked because of a slow sprouting situation with some varieties. i got worried about dampening off of the early started seeds to keep the slow seeds moist until germination.

How many days has it been?

Well stored tobacco seed is good for 10 years. Sustainable Seed has not been in business that long. Their tobacco seed comes from Skychaser.

Bob

I had good success last year with Sustainable Seed seeds.

My Virginia seed took much longer than the others last year.

Hi Squeezy.
    My African Red that a kind member sent me took some time to come up. it is funny some of the older seeds that I will be growing out this year was 8 years old and was the first to germinate. I have noticed that there are some that take longer than others. If you are a bit worried I would just sow a few more to be on the safe side. And thanks again Squeezy for that Yacon they are doing just fine I can't wait to get them planted out.

Markw
    "When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations,
    the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic. Dresden James

The African Red seed is from 2013. The Oxford is from 2012. It all germ tested good. Give it 7-10 days and you'll see sprouts.
    His name was Seth Rich.

Thanks everyone ... for reinforcing what I probably knew anyway. I didn't realise they were your seed stock Skychaser ... great to know their provenance!

I'm 12 days in and one or two of the African Red seeds have just emerged but I've still had nothing from the Oxford 207. I'm using the same compost mix for all my seeds. I'm keeping them next to a heater that keeps it nice and cosy and making sure that they do not dry out. I will keep going - but I did not expect it to take this long!

Maybe the seeds know they're in Britain and are scared of coming out in to the open because of the environmental cruelty I have planned for them over the next 5 months or so!

The African Red I got from Sky sprouted in 9 days. I put the seeds in a jar on top of 1/2 inch starter mix the put the lid on. The temp was 60 -70 F. Transferred them when the sprouts were about 1/4 inch long. pocked up some seed that had not sprouted so in some pots now I will have to pull a few.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast