Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Seed germination - is freshness an issue?

I think it's a temperature issue my end actually ... it's been so mild this march that we've turned our heating right down which unfortunately means that my prime warm spot for germinating is significantly colder than last year and I hadn't noticed ... I'm going to try putting them in to my allotment hotbed to see if they prefer the warmth from that.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezyjohn View Post
    I think it's a temperature issue my end actually ... it's been so mild this march that we've turned our heating right down which unfortunately means that my prime warm spot for germinating is significantly colder than last year and I hadn't noticed ... I'm going to try putting them in to my allotment hotbed to see if they prefer the warmth from that.
    Can you get seedling heat mats? (propagation mats in some areas) I feel that mine have helped me a lot in my basement. Although heated, it stays 6 or 7 degrees cooler than the rest of the house. The thermostats for the heat system are upstairs is one reason, being underground is the other. The literature with the mats claim a ten degree heat increase over ambient temperatures.

1 members have Nominated this post.

The 10ºF is just horse puckie. But they do add a 17 Watt boost to each 1020 tray.

Bob

Well - the Oxford 207 hasn't made an appearance yet ... but my hotbed is powered by the heat coming from fermenting horse muck ... so horse muckie it is then!

I'm an off grid kind of guy so I won't be using excess electricity to get them started - I wonder if Oxford 207 is one of those that needs quite high light levels that I wasn't giving them by my old methods? They're getting it now!

Quote Originally Posted by squeezyjohn View Post
    ...I wonder if Oxford 207 is one of those that needs quite high light levels that I wasn't giving them by my old methods? They're getting it now!
    It won't hurt anything.

I don't recall Oxford being one that needed light. I've only run into a couple of those. Temp does make a big difference though. Varieties that sprout in 7 days at an average temp of 75f will take two weeks at 65f. But you are at two weeks now and should being seeing something. I had that seed germ tested by the WSDA in March 2012, and it came back at 90%. No reason you should being seeing much difference. It's got me curious now though, so I'm going to do a little home germ test on the Oxford seed and see what I get.

Are you seeing sprouts in the African Red yet?
    His name was Seth Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by skychaser View Post
    It's got me curious now though, so I'm going to do a little home germ test on the Oxford seed and see what I get.
    It's been just under 4 1/2 days since I started my test and I have sprouts showing in about half the seed now. Those things should be growing for ya squeezy. ??
    Last edited by skychaser; 04-13-2014 at 11:05 PM. Reason: pore speeling
    His name was Seth Rich.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12