Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

pure strain tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrohippie82

What is the best way to know that you have a pure strain tobacco? Who are the best tobacco seed salers? I'm in Kansas so the best local option would be great.

Thanks in Advance.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
The best way to know for sure is to buy from a reputable dealer such as our member Skychaser at Northwood Seeds Retail. Shipping is a flat rate of $3.00 per order so it's definitely affordable. He supplies the major seed retailers so you might as well buy straight from the source. Check out his "About Us" link. He's a hard worker and an encyclopedia of tobacco knowledge.

Start your seed indoors, preferably about 8 weeks before your last expected frost date shown here: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/781-Last-and-First-Frost-Date-When-Is-It-Really Plug in your zip code and it will give you your first and last average frost dates. Sky will get your seed to you within a week so start rounding up your soil, lights, starter trays, etc. Read the seed starting threads on this forum. You'll transplant to the field as soon as possible after any fear of frost is gone.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
No, but they are very, very tiny. Smaller than clover , turnip or mustard seed.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
A spoonful of tobacco seed looks like finely ground coffee. A tenth of a gram of tobacco seed is 700 to 1000 seeds. Most sellers distribute packets of 100 seeds.

Bob

skychaser

Dang Knucklehead, your commission check keep getting bigger and bigger. ;)

Actually, I'm not very good at counting or measuring and all the packs have closer to 500 seeds. That gives folks enough seed for a couple seasons, even if they kill a few and over seed like I always do.

Attachments

• Img_1954%20copy.jpg
    Img_1954%20copy.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 67

Afrohippie82

I have ordered Tobacco seeds from sustainable seeds so i know what a tobacco seed looks like, i just didn't know what 300 seeds actually looked like because i think i got around 100 seeds and that honestly too me didn't seem like much or close to a hundred, I think i will Try skyChaser out tomorrow....plus i was wondering about seed quality because I've planted 4 varieties of tobacco at the beginning of march Little Dutch, Havana 142,Connecticut broad leaf and Florida Sumatra, The Havana 142 seems to be out growing everything is this because of variety or seed quality? all were germinated in straight worm castings, they actually came up in a about 4 or 5 days.... will have to look in growing log and see...

DGBAMA

As long as each variety of seedling is uniform in itself you are fine. My havannah was faster than the others to get started last year, they each grow differently. Light makes a huge difference too. My starts closest to a window notably outgrow those even a foot or two father away. I rotate my trays weekly so each get a turn being closest to the window.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I have ordered Tobacco seeds from sustainable seeds so i know what a tobacco seed looks like, i just didn't know what 300 seeds actually looked like because i think i got around 100 seeds and that honestly too me didn't seem like much or close to a hundred, I think i will Try skyChaser out tomorrow....plus i was wondering about seed quality because I've planted 4 varieties of tobacco at the beginning of march Little Dutch, Havana 142,Connecticut broad leaf and Florida Sumatra, The Havana 142 seems to be out growing everything is this because of variety or seed quality? all were germinated in straight worm castings, they actually came up in a about 4 or 5 days.... will have to look in growing log and see...

Start a grow blog here, we'd love to follow along with your season. Good luck.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Dang Knucklehead, your commission check keep getting bigger and bigger. ;)

I recommend you for one reason: you won't make me look bad by doing so.

I know what you put into quality assurance and the extra mile you go in making sure your customers get more than they pay for. I know you grow at least 20 plants of each variety to assure varietal "true to type" plants and seed. I know you will stand behind your product if it ever becomes necessary. I know you offer seed not available anywhere else. I know my recommendation is a benefit to potential customers, as well as to you. I buy from you for these same reasons.

Having said that, a title would be nice. Captain o' the Seed Guards? Executive Vice President in Charge of Forum Seed Sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.