Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Greetings from the mountains of central New Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Growing in buckets is also an option. It sounds like you have some pretty poor, thin soil.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
The soil in the Manzono mtns; is only good for pinons and ceaders. just under an inch or so deep is a hard white type of rock.(Glad I moved from there) Now down in Edgewood He will be able to grow a lot of baccy with the exeption to the winds there. It is the same soil as here. Stag tobacconists is just up the street from where I am. Going to give it a visit some time this week. I need a stem and more papers as well. I will have some extra plants after I thin if You woul like a few. The folks here made that posible for Me this year.

Desertpipe

Knuck, I had not seen those two threads and I appreciated a chance to read them both on a Sunday afternoon. I have two separate lives with tobacco...the one at home and the one at the Shop. At home I have been cellaring tobacco, mostly Virginia based blends for the past 12 years. I use a type of method that avoids subjecting the tobacco to heat, while still achieving a vacuum seal on the ball/mason jar. I do this to speed up the aging process of the Virginias. I have also used a press to make crumble kakes of home blends for the past three years.
At the Shop, it is all about consistency of the Shop blends...some of which were created by the Father of the current owner decades ago.

Yup, I think this is a good place to be, with a great deal to learn.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Hey Desertpipe.. A belated welcome! I had to laugh though at your reference to being an "older" gentleman. I'm not going to ask how old you are but I noticed my definition of "old" is on a sliding scale. I'm in my mid 50's now. When I was young I would have considered that as being ancient. Now I consider myself starting to reach my prime..:)

But on to tobacco! When you blend (in the store) do you add flavoring agents to the tobacco or is it bought in bulk already flavored?
Also, How do you vacuum your mason jars. I have a gazillion pounds of pipe tobacco that I am slowly shredding and storing in mason jars. Some I vacuum seal, others I do not.

Desertpipe

Hey Desertpipe.. A belated welcome! I had to laugh though at your reference to being an "older" gentleman. I'm not going to ask how old you are but I noticed my definition of "old" is on a sliding scale. I'm in my mid 50's now. When I was young I would have considered that as being ancient. Now I consider myself starting to reach my prime..:)

But on to tobacco! When you blend (in the store) do you add flavoring agents to the tobacco or is it bought in bulk already flavored?
Also, How do you vacuum your mason jars. I have a gazillion pounds of pipe tobacco that I am slowly shredding and storing in mason jars. Some I vacuum seal, others I do not.

Jitter,
Like a lot of folks, I am feeling my age a bit more in my mid-60's. I was hit hard from behind while sitting in my car at a traffic light in Santa Fe three years ago. The woman that hit the line of three cars never slowed down, as she was busy talking on her cell phone. Add all the insane things I did in my youth, the fact that I have been riding Scoots for 45 years, and my country lifestyle has had me living closer to the edge of civilization then most my age, and you have knees and a back that talk to me even when the weather isn't changing...
At the Shop, we order both flavored and unflavored tobaccos bulk. We encourage home blending, and have a "pipe nite" every Friday evening....and explore all aspects of blending and use of different types of tobacco.

I posted a canning method in the pipe forum, per a request.

Desert

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Desertpipe, I enjoyed the visit at STAG yesterday and the coversation with You Sir. STAG is one of the finnest shops I have ever been in. I would have to spend the most of 3 or 4 hrs. just to look at every thing that is there to offer the public. The first thing that I seen when I came in was the repair shop on the left and more pipes than I have ever seen in one place. Big Cacino would love it. The humidor selection is superb. The leather lounge that sets befor the glass windows of the walk in humidor was very relaxing. I can see why You have a 2 hr. pipe nite. The price for the ChurchWarden bit was far less than it's going price. Thanks. As We talked about, FTT Tobacco would be perfect in STAG. It is second to none and it will sell well there. Thank You for the Basma, Macedonia, Bursa and very much the Latakia. And Thank You for taking the time with Me in Your lounge with your customers to share some of Your stock. When every customer comes in Your shop and knows You by name and purchases a fist full of cigars gets a 10 star rating from Me. Scot

Status
Not open for further replies.