Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Re-using Seed Bags

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonH

Can we reuse seed bags? If so, what's the best way to kill the old pollen? Would bleach do the trick?

Brown Thumb

That is a good question I have mine wrapped up in a seed bag. At the moment.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 49

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Bob posted that Jessica posted that the pollen won't live from one year to the next. My bags have aphid crap and some mildew on them. I'm going to run mine through the washing machine for safety's sake, then give them a good visual inspection.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
And Knucklehead posted that Bob posted that Jessica posted.....:)
Yeah, What Jessica said.. But just to be on the safe side I wash my bags out with soapy water, wring them out and let the sun hit them for a day just for a little extra peace of mind

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I believe some seed could survive, though it would be statistically insignificant. That is to say, Murphy's Law will insure that you eventually plant the one stray seed from the previous year's production.

For me, with a maximum of 43 different varieties one year, but more recently between 20 and 30 varieties, the chore of sewing new bags each year is not all that onerous. On the other hand, what you save by recycling the bags from a grow of 100+ varieties will buy a lot of pizza.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
The best price I can find for five gallon paint strainer bags still works out to about $1.00 per bag including shipping. If you bag at least two seed heads per variety, yes sir, it adds up in a hurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.