Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Canning pipe tobacco for long term storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desertpipe

1. I need to give "props" to Drifter, a friend from Montana, as it was Jim who started me on this part of my pipe journey a decade ago. As I remember it, my first test batch was Greg's Bohemian Scandal, and all was well in my Tobacco World from that point on.

Vacuum Canning Pipe Tobacco

The Desertpipe Method
    Whenever this subject gets brought up, there are some that would debate even the desirability of using a method of long term storage that actually involved using heat to vacuum seal tobacco in glass jars. I have been using this method for over a decade. There have been numerous personal tests using tobacco from the same bulk bag, and using numerous pipe smokers to evaluate the outcomes.

What has become clear to me is the following -

Tobaccos with high Virginia content, vacuum sealed, start aging immediately and get better, in my opinion, faster then any other method I have tried.

Aromatics seem to change little, no matter what method I used.

Both Latakia and Perique tobaccos seem to mellow and become softer and more integrated, with long term vacuum storage.

Burley tobacco blends get darker and seem to taste richer with vacuum storage, but it takes a long time. Some of the best Burley blends I have tried have been those vacuum sealed for a decade or three.

Vacuum Canning Tobacco -

Supplies needed or used – Canning jars with new lids, labels, a pan large enough to submerge the size jars being used, some form of water the contains no chlorine (I use gallon bottled water), tongs to handle hot jars and lids, and a second pan of water with cool, not cold, water.

I use mason jars with two piece lids, and prefer wide mouth in three sizes. I now usually can at least two pounds of tobacco at the same time, as I find that is the most efficient way to use my time and resources. When I first started, I canned smaller amounts as part of the learning process. The choice of jar size is a personal preference. Using smaller jars for flakes and mid sized jars for loose blends gives me workable amounts when I open them for use. I use large quart jars for blending tobaccos, and home blends that I want to age for long periods of time. I might re-can these at a later time, for storage in my cellar.

Wash all the jars and lids, rinse well and dry.
    Heat the water in the pan, and submerge the jars in the water. I bring the pan to a boil, and have 4 jars in the water at one time. Using the tongs, I pull one jar out of the boiling water and drain out the excess water. I fill the jar to just short of the top with tobacco, and do not completely compress the tobacco, but rather think of it as filling a pipe – springy, when done. I dip the lid in the boiling water, and making sure the rim of the jar is free of tobacco pieces, place the lid on the jar and lightly set the ring. Do not tighten at this point.

I then dip the jar, short of the lid, back into the boiling water using the tongs. This process is all done quickly. I have found that if I did not preheat the jars, some would crack when filled with tobacco and dipped into the hot water. This last dip is simply to heat the jar itself, and thus the air in the jar. I never leave the jar in the water long enough to heat the tobacco....it is a quick dip. Placing the jar on a clean dish towel, I set the ring of the lid tight and then repeat the process. When the 4 jars are finished, I dip them in the cooling pan, and set them aside. I repeat the process until the tobacco is gone. I then immediately label the jars....maybe it is just old-timers setting in, but there is nothing more discouraging then canning 2 similar tobaccos at the same time, and not getting them labeled right. I put the name of the Manufacturer, the tobacco blend, the date and the word “canned”. For short term storage (not canned) I differentiate by using the word “jarred” on the label.

Having practiced for almost a decade, my success rate on having the button on the lid depress immediately after cooling is now almost 100 percent. The very few that do not depress immediately are monitored, and usually depress within 48 hours. At that point, I will open those that do not depress the button, and find that I did not get the rim totally free of tobacco bits before setting the lid. This now never happens, as I am super careful to avoid this simple mistake.

Now comes the hard part.....put then into your cellar and forget them. Do this once a month, and you will see the cellar grow and your piece of mind with it. I have never had a bad result with this method of storage. No mold, no dry tobacco, just the wonder of tasting the tobacco years later and the changes wrought....a wonderful treat.​

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
That's basically what I do but I put my jars in my kiln for a few hours. It's a lot quicker. I can (get it..."can"..:rolleyes:) do about 12 quart jars at a time. Thanks for posting!
Do you find that once you've opend a jar that has been cellared for a few years that it loses it's flavor profile?

Desertpipe

That's basically what I do but I put my jars in my kiln for a few hours. It's a lot quicker. I can (get it..."can"..:rolleyes:) do about 12 quart jars at a time. Thanks for posting!
Do you find that once you've opend a jar that has been cellared for a few years that it loses it's flavor profile?

Using this method, I am usually finished in 45 minutes.

Here is what we have found (the "we" are pipers that have sampled blends from 6 months to 55 years under vacuum).

All non aromatic blends change over time. VA's get sweeter and can even develop bloom (sugar crystals). I enjoy most VA., Virginia Perique and English Lat. blends aged. Some want a sharper interplay from the Perique and Latakia, and prefer them fresh. Burley blends seem to change very slowly, and a few years will seem to make little difference.

I sometime wonder if my enjoyment of aged tobacco from my cellar is in part from the knowledge that the wall of tobacco I now have is a solid hedge against favorite blends disappearing from the marketplace or being taxed out of my ability to afford them in my retirement. Given another year or two, I should have enough to have some left over for my kids to sell when I am gone.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
What case is the tobacco in when you can it? I guess I assumed when there was a vacuum that the oxygen was gone. Thinking about it now, I guess there was just enough oxygen removed to create suction? Is this correct? I always heard oxygen was needed for the aging process, I guess this process does leave oxygen in the jar.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
The oxygen in/oxygen out thing seems to be a big debate. Some saying it is needed for aging while others say it is not. When I can my tobacco it is in a light case, just about what I'd use to smoke it in a pipe. I also pack it in pretty tight.

As far as the crystals forming I'll bet that is from the casing that is added to the tobacco. I know a lot of people claim they buy "pure" tobacco but one of the big blenders (GL Pease?) stated that all commercial tobacco is cased. I would think it would at least some antimicrobials since the last thing a big tobacco company wants to do is sell tobacco that molds.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Unless tobacco is compressed into a solid brick, all the tiny spaces in between the shreds contain 21% oxygen. The rate of oxidation by intrinsic enzymes is pretty slow, by the time the tobacco has completed its primary aging--that is, by the time it is sold. So, yes. It does need oxygen. And no, tobacco that has finished its initial aging is unlikely to require more O[sub]2[/sub] than is available within the sealed jar.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Unless tobacco is compressed into a solid brick, all the tiny spaces in between the shreds contain 21% oxygen. The rate of oxidation by intrinsic enzymes is pretty slow, by the time the tobacco has completed its primary aging--that is, by the time it is sold. So, yes. It does need oxygen. And no, tobacco that has finished its initial aging is unlikely to require more O[SUB]2[/SUB] than is available within the sealed jar.

Bob

Even in a vacuum? Or is the term vacuum being loosely used here?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The jar has a relative vacuum. It's pressure is lower than 1 atm, so the lid pops in. It's nowhere near an absolute vacuum.

Bob

rainmax

Founding Member
What about perique? How much oxygen is there? 5%?
I have some of my tobacco stored in vapor proof bags and some even in vacuum. This is my first year storing that way and I don't have problems with mold like last year. I even testing how to make perique in household vacuum bag.
Am I mistaken here?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I even testing how to make perique in household vacuum bag.
Am I mistaken here?
Give it a try. My understanding is that the crushing pressure bursts the cells of the leaf lamina, allowing all the enzymes etc. to spill into the surrounding liquid. But I'm just guessing.

Bob

Desertpipe

Dear Deluxestogie,
Please feel free to follow up on any of my threads, and I find myself in agreement. Sure is nice to just get to sit back and read the posts.
Thumbs up, Sir.

ChucK

Desertpipe

The oxygen in/oxygen out thing seems to be a big debate. Some saying it is needed for aging while others say it is not. When I can my tobacco it is in a light case, just about what I'd use to smoke it in a pipe. I also pack it in pretty tight.

As far as the crystals forming I'll bet that is from the casing that is added to the tobacco. I know a lot of people claim they buy "pure" tobacco but one of the big blenders (GL Pease?) stated that all commercial tobacco is cased. I would think it would at least some antimicrobials since the last thing a big tobacco company wants to do is sell tobacco that molds.

It is my understanding that both aerobic and anaerobic aging are contributing factors to the outcome. You start out with oxygen in the jar, and end up with none. The key is to harvest the aged tobaccos in some sort of planned rotation with incoming new stock. Some tobacco blends are great at a year or two, but do not hold up as well if stored longer. Others can go for extended periods of time.

I have a question.....is cigar bloom the result of casing on the cigar tobacco?

Grumpa

While the water bath method works well, it is a bit too futzy for me. I use a Foodsaver jar sealer and a vacuum pump to put a slight vacuum in the Mason jar. Takes just a couple of seconds. I use a commercial vacuum pump for this but any sort of kitchen vacuum bag sealer with a hose attachment will work. You could even use a small hand pump. I can do a dozen jars in a minute and you don't have to wait for any lid popping.

http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-T03...6&sr=8-1&keywords=food+saver+mason+jar+sealer

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Grumpa,
Interesting device. The description on the product page is rather vague. From what I understand, this $10 gadget (plus a food-saver pumping device) is applied over the top of a standard two-part jar rim and lid combination, in order to extract the air. Then it is removed, and can be used again for many jars.

While impractical for large quantities of tobacco, or for whole leaf, it does seem useful for small quantities and blends.

Bob

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
I'v seed desertpipes canning baccy, It is very well done. If You follow it, You won't go amiss. I do Mine a little different. I us a cold flash method. They will strike My post, due to the way it is done. PM Me for the way if You wish. It will not blow up LOL. Mad-

Grumpa

Grumpa,
Interesting device. The description on the product page is rather vague. From what I understand, this $10 gadget (plus a food-saver pumping device) is applied over the top of a standard two-part jar rim and lid combination, in order to extract the air. Then it is removed, and can be used again for many jars.

While impractical for large quantities of tobacco, or for whole leaf, it does seem useful for small quantities and blends.

Bob

Yup that is how it works except that the sealing ring is not in place only the lid. After the desired vacuum is applied, the Foodsaver is removed and the ring screwed on.

There are larger vacuum sealable bags available that may work for whole leaf. Don't know enough about this stuff yet.

Grumps

Status
Not open for further replies.