Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Bursa - Yield?

Status
Not open for further replies.

forumdotabaco

hey sorry didn't mean to be rude.
I cant find the thread about economical part of the tobacco business, can some one point me a link or something please?
ok now a video from Greek friend that shows us how Greeks cure their tobacco, for the ones that cant see it its easy to understand they use green house roof sections to cover the leafs, and the leafs are hanging 3 feet from the ground

Brown Thumb

All the Greeks around here have Pizza shops. Sorry cant help you out.

BarG

Founding Member
Let's say this explicitly, American agricultural knowhow (?) failed and was beaten by traditional agricultural practices of Turkish peasants on growing Oriental tobacco.

This debate is over, right! Considering you decided.
We are just starting what you have been doing all those years on the orientals.

Your contributions to FTT are remarkable istanbulin, but you must remain open to other ways of thinking and methods. I understand tried and true methods. But I like to remain open for other alternatives.

Tried and true methods apply to certain things that will be set in stone. And others can be influenced by variables not considered or tried.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
This debate is over, right!

Yes, we (Americans) simply can not grow the same quality tobacco as is grown in the "Orient" (old meaning). Phillip Morris has spent millions trying to recreate the same quality of tobacco without success. As far as I know, big tobacco's experimenting has ended.

BarG

Founding Member
I probably smoked a ton of oriental in my store bought cigarettes. How would I know! When we totaly quit big tobacco, are there findings related to our best interets?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Quality is a matter of science and not so much a matter of opinion. Comparing your wife's potato to my wife's potato salad is opinion. Most people think their home grown tobacco is better than anything they've ever smoked...and they're probably right, but producing that quality on a commercial scale (100's of thousands of acres) takes a slight bit more effort.

Until then...the Turks own the market. No debate.

NRustica

I thought they only covered it until they get brown and when rain is predicted.

OTOH, certainly there is a young single tobacco grower on this site for the young lass.

hey sorry didn't mean to be rude.
I cant find the thread about economical part of the tobacco business, can some one point me a link or something please?
ok now a video from Greek friend that shows us how Greeks cure their tobacco, for the ones that cant see it its easy to understand they use green house roof sections to cover the leafs, and the leafs are hanging 3 feet from the ground

Planter

After 2 weeks of what one may call sun curing, I just tried the first Bursa lugs. Very, very promising, this is already good stuff. The distinct aroma is similar to that of Tik Konlak, which I know from last year. The second batch was, without any added sugar, extremely sweet in the pipe, leaving a sensation like grape juice.

In terms of yield, just 1 smaller leaf seems to be good for 1 pipe bowl as a flake or a rollcake (and 2 bowls as a loose cut), my bigger plants already have 20+ leaves.

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
This was my first year growing orientals and I was surprised by the size of the bursa. The ones I had in the cluster grow had a few of them get 8' tall with the larger leaves getting close to 14" long almost as wide and extremly stick. I had another bursa plant by the corner of the house and it got to be about 9' with leaves about 20". there were about 4o leaves off of that plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.