Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Bursa - Yield?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Planter

I gather Bursa is more productive than most other Orientals - what sort of yield did you see?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
If you grow Bursa to its maximum potential, you can expect 4 ounces of finished leaf. If you grow it in a traditional manner, you should expect less than 2 ounces.

This is some Bursa I grew several years ago. The picture was taken before it "took off".

Bursa.jpg

Plant spacing was about 24" and 40" rows. Average leaf size was 18" x 10...which is HUGE for Bursa.

Dean

They look wonderful, how did they smoke? I will vouch for the 2oz a plant if planted traditional, I think I trumped it as I offset so not sure if I produced more fer sq. fopt or not. I had a reasonably thick leaf off the centre but leaves than 10" long. They were very floral on the nose and mellower a mix down. I have some put away so can comment fouther in 6 months or so

DonH

Those plant's from FM's pics are amazing. I planted Bursa at 18" and they weren't anywhere near that size. They got really tall, though. I'm sure it's the difference in the soil between Ohio and Massachusetts. To be safe, I'd estimate about 2 oz. tobacco per plant. If you get more, great. It smokes really well.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
The plants in the picture are only about 4' tall. After they took off, they grew to over 8' tall.

I suppose Bursa could be considered as "naturally crinkly", but if it was grown traditionally, the leaf would be primed before it got crinkly...I think.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That's a pretty field of tobacco. The world's finest Oriental tobacco comes out of Alabama, but it looks like Ohio is competing with Turkey for second place. Do you miss growing?

leverhead

Last year I planted Bursa 16" row to row X 8" plant to plant. 16" row to row is too close, 30"-36" would work better. 8" plant to plant works fine, these leaves were from my first priming.

Bursa '13a.jpg

skychaser

I planted mine like I plant 95% of my tobacco plants at 2' spacing in off set rows 2' apart. They grew 7' to 8' high and produced from 30-34 harvestable leaves per plant. It is the heaviest producing oriental type I have grown yet. To me the flavor is a little spicy and very sweet. It is a close second to Prilep in it's sweetness. The smoke is fragrant and aromatic. It is a delicious tobacco!

IMHO, you should forget the "traditional way" of planting it and give this plant the space and water it needs to live up to its full potential. You won't be disappointed.

Attachments

• Bursa_2.jpg
    Bursa_2.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Bursa_6.jpg
    Bursa_6.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 70

BigBonner

Founding Member
I like the bursa .
I also grew some ottoman ( I can't remember where the seeds came from ) That looks identical to bursa .
I do believe the Bursa had a little bit bigger leaves .

Planter

Thanks for the replies - some encouragingly beautiful plants in here! Do these big leaves cure well?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Do these big leaves cure well?

Generally speaking...If the forum mutually endorses any particular variety, we are endorsing the overall quality of the plant. Nobody is going to tell you how to grow it and share their experiences with a variety if it is somehow flawed.

It's safe to assume it cures well. I stalk cured my crop and was very satisfied with the result.

istanbulin

Founding Member
... IMHO, you should forget the "traditional way" of planting it and give this plant the space and water it needs to live up to its full potential. ...

He's right, do it that way. Because Turkish farmers don't need additional competitors. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.