Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

2014's Transplantation in Aegean

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbulin

Founding Member
This soil is "Terra Rossa" (Red Soil), classic Mediterranean soil type is generally a mix of clay soil. The reddish color is because of "Hematite" (Fe[SUB]2[/SUB]O[SUB]3[/SUB]) which is generally 4-6% of the soil. Although the parent rock is limestone it's not too much limey because of washing effect. Because of the warm climate, humidity and abundant rains (except summer) everything decomposes and oxidises quickly, so it does not contain enough humus (organic matter). This type of soils are generally located at mountain slopes. Because of these facts, it's not a rich soil and generally used as growing olive and it's also popular for wine production. On the other hand, although it has good amount of clay its drainage is really good because of the bigger particle size.

forumdotabaco

Compared with the other ones I saw in the past in Turkey, this one looks better, the other ones I saw were sand, kind of medium grain brownish sand.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Visual evaluation of a soil from a photo is nothing but a guess. Color indicates some characteristics but if the region is not known well it's hard to talk about it. For example, Terra Rossa which looks more attractive has a medium fertility (enough to grow many crops) but some brownish sand looking soils (like various mix of loams) which can be found in same region are more fertile and easy to cultivate as Terra Rossa.

istanbulin

Founding Member
In soil science it's actually called "Kırmızı Akdeniz Toprağı" in Turkish (means "Red Mediterranean Soil") but briefly it's called "Terra Rossa" (Italian).

forumdotabaco

Italian, I always forget about them, all of our languages came from Latin so we have a lot of words in common

Status
Not open for further replies.