Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

2014's Transplantation in Aegean

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbulin

Founding Member
I got few transplantation photos today from Aydın (province) in Aegean Region where İzmir varieties are grown. Brand new, 2014.

A view of the sedlings in beds waiting to be pulled and transplanted.
100.jpg

Seedlings ready to go.
101.jpg

The folder behind the seedlings is A4 size (approx. 12"x8"). You can see there's really low amount of root stock left with the seedlings.

And... the field.
102.jpg

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Thank you for posting. I think that is the best looking soil I have seen in your photos. Is this the region that grows tea in the mountains?

istanbulin

Founding Member
Tea grows in Eastern Black Sea Region, around Rize province, where more than half of the year is heavy rainy. This field takes place in central side of the Aegean Region (100 km from the sea), where elevation is higher. Because of this there're evergreens on the hills, on the seaside land cover of the hills is mostly maquis (shrubland) or olive cultivation areas.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I should be able to remember that, Black Sea, Black tea. Got it. Thanks.

How are the seed beds started? Are they outside?

leverhead

Thank you, that's a great post! How long does it take for the seedlings to recover from such a small amount of roots? What is the loss rate? That's an interesting way of planting.

Rickey60

I notice they are planted in the low part of the row. Is that done so soil can be thrown to them as they get taller? Nice pictures.

winston-smoker

That area is in between Izmir and Bodrum, right? I vaguely remember evergreen covered hills in the background from my drive from Bodrum to Izmir.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Seed beds are, as you may remember from other posts, located outside. They're generally covered with plastic like a low/small green house, in some regions people use stable seed beds covered with glass.
Seedlings generally recover in a week, if there's a seedling loss people transplant new seedlings there (farmers leave spare seedlings in seed beds). I'm not sure about the loss rate but transplanting new seedlings after seedling loss increases labor costs because it's not possible to use planter with tractor in scattered spaces where seedling are lost.
Actually seedlings are planted on the lower side because of the planter's mechanism (below). After 15 days of trasplanting first hoeing is applied so field become more flat, low part of the row is filled with soil.

Adsız.jpg
Planter

Last edited:

istanbulin

Founding Member
That area is in between Izmir and Bodrum, right? I vaguely remember evergreen covered hills in the background from my drive from Bodrum to Izmir.

Yes, between them but too far from the road. If you followed the road passing nearby the Lake Bafa probably you saw different hills.

Last edited:

Rickey60

Nice pictures, I'm not going to complain about my tired and aching back anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brown Thumb

Nice pics, I would not want to wake up in the morning to that crop.

ne3go

Are these tobacco plants ever watered? Or there are summer rains?

leverhead: Great comment!;)

istanbulin

Founding Member
As you know very well, normally there's no or very low amount of summer rain in Mediterranean climate but this summer was wet.

ne3go

I know that the summer is dry, but because the farm looks huge and green in photo, i wonder how these plants are watered?

leverhead

I know that the summer is dry, but because the farm looks huge and green in photo, i wonder how these plants are watered?

If you compare the pictures from posts #1 and #9, they are planted very deep in a furrow that is back filled early in the season. If you look at the harvest pictures in post #11, it looks like a flat field. The flat surface would give least area for evaporation and the poor soil/close plant spacing would give small plants that would need less moisture. On an average year, the combination gives a worthwhile crop. A dry Winter would make it hard, a heavy rain would probably make a mess of that field with no drainage control.

forumdotabaco

In my opinion this is not a poor soil, and is not a sandy soil, more yet it is protected by mountains, all the other Turkey soils I saw in the past had lighter colour and the sandy texture.

Status
Not open for further replies.