Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

CaryNC

In light of the new steep tobacco tax hikes coming into play, I can see that soon growing your own may become wildly popular in the very near future. So, in keeping with that thought, I figured some of my experiences may be helpful for those who are new to this site.

Some tubes are a pleasure, while some others make for a maddening experience. I have tried most of the tubes available in my area and below are my findings.

Gambler Tube Cut - Kings (both full flavor and gold filter), distributed by Republic Tobacco (AKA Republic Group), and manufactured in Canada. These have worked consistently well and rarely do I have a problem with the end of the tube tearing when I happen to try and stuff too much tobacco. This would be the one for those who are new to growing and rolling your own.

Top - Kings Full Flavor tubes are also distributed by Republic Tobacco and made in Canada with basically the same results as the Gambler tubes, which makes me think there is no real difference other than the branding. However, the Top brand name does cost more so I rarely buy these.

Golden Valley - Kings Full Flavor are distributed by Trademark Co. and "Made in R.L." (whatever that is), and also says "Fridley MN" for some reason. I was just not happy with these, the paper seems thinner and tends to tear the end of the tube about 1/3 of the way around where the top holds the tube in place. It is not so much of a functional problem for smoking because the cherry is about that big when you light it but remains unsightly.

Zig Zag - Kings white tip are distributed by North Atlantic Operating Co. of Louisville KY, manufactured in Canada just like Gambler and Top. For the price I was not happy, there are better options much cheaper and their popularity eludes me when it comes to the cigarette tubes. Tearing was a problem more often than I was willing to accept for the price.

Premier 100's - distributed by Commonwealth Brands of Reidsville NC and manufactured in Germany. Again these had a tendency of tearing but not nearly as much as the Zig Zag, probably due to the extra length. Over stuffing these will most definitely tear the paper.

Rave - Kings Full Flavor, manufactured under license by Commonwealth Brands of Reidsville NC, for Lignum-2 Bowling Green KY (again, whatever that means). This is my first try at these and am rather pleased so far, and may be replacing my usual Gambler tubes with Rave because the quality is good and are the least expensive of all of them. I did experience some tearing which was my fault because the tobacco was at the end of the bag and became too dry with smaller bits than usual. I also think I overstuffed them which compounded the problem.

Since a lot of cotton is grown here, I was thinking of using that as a filter and finding some very thin rice paper or craft paper at my local dollar store to make my own tubes. For the glue I was thinking either maple syrup or melted menthol candies, it could be a great smoke or make me puke, LOL.

That is it for now, I will see what else is available next time I go.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i didnt like PREMIER at all

i been using zig-zag..... I HAVE NT HAD A CHANCE TO TRY ALL OF THE ONES THAT ARE AVAILABLE,,,

but after reading your reviews i may try another type soon,

allthough i am a fan of the zig-zag's<--------

CaryNC

i didnt like PREMIER at all

i been using zig-zag..... I HAVE NT HAD A CHANCE TO TRY ALL OF THE ONES THAT ARE AVAILABLE,,,

but after reading your reviews i may try another type soon,

allthough i am a fan of the zig-zag's<--------

Hi Chicken,

The problem could be that my injector is a Top brand ($8) and the tube/paper is specifically made for it. I didn't mean to knock Zig Zag too bad (LOL), I could have had a bad batch (it does happen occasionally). Since you like the Zigs so much maybe I will give them another try.

The injector topic is a whole other thread and reviews are out there, but I just don't see too much on tubes except on sites where they are for sale.

My goal is to eventually make cigarettes for free. I will probably end up rolling my own with tobacco leaves because I hear rumors of tubes being taxed heavily at some future point in time and I would rather figure out options now before that happens.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i didnt say the zig-zags were perfect,,,, ive had numerous rips,,,,

i found that buying a 100. type tube and rolling it with a king size injector,,,,, gives you a little play room,,, you gotta pack the baccy that goes in the tube,,, but thats good because i like to twist the end of my rolled tubes anyhow,,,

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i gotta buy a box of tubes tomorrow,

i may try the gambler...

Daniel

Banned
I like Gambler, and top the best. My wife has been buying a lot of Hot Rod tubes lately. Manufactured by Great Midwest Tube in Evendale Ohio. They also tear but are the lowest priced ones she can find.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I like Gambler, and top the best. My wife has been buying a lot of Hot Rod tubes lately. Manufactured by Great Midwest Tube in Evendale Ohio. They also tear but are the lowest priced ones she can find.

well gambler it is today,,,,,

i just smoked my last cigg. now i gotta puff my womans '' OBAMA CIGGS'' till i get to the store,,,,

she dont like my baccy,,, i think shes just sit in her ways,, or too '' good'' to make her own ciggs.

but thats o.k. you gotta pay for that stuff one way or the other '' right<?''

i really like my mix i got going on right now,, my ciggs. using my grown baccy,,,, are some damn good ciggs.

mackavally

i to like gambler that what keyed me to growing and smoking my owen like chicken i to thank the price will rize the anty tobacco groups are growing strong i would like to so some seeds to i think virenga gold would grow good in florida could send me sum ... Please PM me for address.

Daniel

Banned
Has anyone ever tried to make a paper from either ground leaf or stalks and mid ribs? Might be something to tinker with this fall since I will have wheelbarros full fo the stuff that I understand I don't want to let rot in my field. I guess it attracts diseases.

DrBob

Founding Member
Yes Dan
Cigarette manufacturers have made reconstituted tobacco from the ribs and scraps for years. The process is similar to making paper from wood. They mainly use the stuff in cigarettes as filler. It is the yukky stuff in cheap cigarettes. I believe it is used in little cigars as wrapper also.
I guess I would rather just burn em up and put the ashes in the garden.

Daniel

Banned
Bob, I am actually interested in a home version. I have seen homemade paper. I have also seen the tobacco paper manufactured cigarettes. I am specifically interested in someone setting at the kitchen table making paper that works. There will be quite a few significant manufacturing difference at the table than in a cigarette manufacturing plant. maybe just a simply home made paper making process will work. Not sure what the results of stems and midrib would be either. I don't do much of anythign the way the manufacturers do it. Probably not going to do it now so learning their way of making tobacco paper might be just a waste of time.

DrBob

Founding Member
It might be kinda fun, but so is fishing! It never bothered me to throw the guts, bones and skins in the garden I guess the ribs of tobacco are about the same to me

BigBonner

Founding Member
You might look into stem exspansion . Where the stem are steamed and expanded and shredded .
Also look at stem flattening . Stems are rolled flat then shredded .

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
GOLDEN HARVEST,

is what ive been using for a while now,,,i seen a picture by DKH2 AND HE HAD A BOX OF THEM IN THE PICTURE,

IM HOOKED ON GOLDEN HARVEST,,NO TEARS,,,AND EACH ONE I LOAD IS A SUCESS,,,

wazzappenning

what burns me is that most of those canada made tubes you guys get are not available to me. ive asked a couple tobacco stores and the one checked with his distributor, no go. i checked on ordering them online, and $30 shipping for 4 boxes of tubes is too pricey for me. (end of rant)

i was looking for as close to real cigg filter length, and found these vazka czech concept tubes (cheaper shipping from ireland) i got him to send me a couple samples. unfortunately, the filter is 15mm, filter paper very long (baccy waste) and the diameter is slightly smaller than my laramie. these are not close at all to a real size cigg, but you can roll them with a standard machine.

that being said, right now i have simpsons smokes lol. i came across these laramie shorts. 17 mm long filter. on closer inspection, they are made by the same company as zen (i found zen not to burn as evenly though) the only other one i liked was the rayo,(but 15mm filter). oh btw laramies are $1.57 incl tax. unfortunately i was told they wouldnt be getting any more.

CaryNC

Just tried another tube, Beretta Elite. These have a somewhat thicker paper so they wont crease right away when putting the tube on the injector. Also the paper does not have that chemical smell when burning, so I think the taste of the tobacco remains true. The filter is 17mm and are made in the Philippines.

I am very happy with them, I bought 1,000 tubes (5 boxes of 200) and may just stock up on more.

Picture 17.jpg

wazzappenning

im guessing those beretta are also by the same company as zen. ill take my recommendation away for rayo however, i noticed my smokes not tasting right and finally decided it was bleach or something in the paper. while waiting for more laramies to come in, i found number 7 and peter jackson tubes to be light enough for my taste.

jeapadrenaline

I have good luck using embassy tubes made by imperial tobacco in canada and am using a premier supermatic roler (injector). So far using store bought tobacco, as i am new to growing and if the weater keeps up, i'll never be able to try my shredder nor smoking home grown.
Daytime highs only 70, had a few days of 80. Lows overnight ranging 50 to as low as 32 and the odd night down to 30. Even the makeshift plastic greenhouse doesn't help growing. Plants are for the most part stuck at 1/2 inch tall with 4 or 5 leaves up to3/4 inch long. Most of them show 0 growth in past 3 weeks.