Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New Product. Oriental Prilep

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbulin

Founding Member
If somebody accepts to ship you that tiny amount of leaf (50 lbs / approx. 23 kg) don't miss that but I think nobody does.

Don wrote a good explanation on this matter;

I'm very happy you like the Prilep. As I've said before, I've been looking for a high quality Turkish/Oriental tobacco. One of the obstacles I've encountered is the minimum purchase requirements. The only way this type of tobacco is available is if I buy an entire container. A container is 40' long and holds over 20 tons of tobacco. Another obstacle (if the first wasn't enough) is the cost of high quality Turkish tobacco. I was told (under good authority) that cost per pound when purchased in a container is $12. The tobacco is shipped in a box known as a C48 and holds 150 kilograms and a container holds 96 C48s. Obviously, these conditions make it almost impossible for anyone other than big tobacco to afford this tobacco.

Woodsroad

I've had several companies more than willing to ship 20 kilos. The shipping cost brings the per pound cost up into the ridiculous range, though.

ArizonaDave

I've been looking for a supplier of genuine Turkish/Oriental tobaccos for quite a while and have been lucky enough to find a couple of cases of Prilep. The leaves are very small with most being under 3" long. There are leaves up to 6" long, but there are not a lot. As with most traditionally grown Turkish tobaccos, no processing before shredding is required.

This leaf was grown in Macedonia in northern Greece. This well aged leaf from the crop year 2008 is somewhat milder than Izmir, but maintains typical Turkish flavors and aromas.

Pictures and ordering will be available Monday.

Don, I have a couple questions for you.

1) Do you think it's possible to add to a cigar blend?
2) Can it be used with other cigar filler to create a pipe blend?

Just wondering. There are no wrong answers if anyone wants to chime in.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have rolled some small cigars entirely of Prilep. They are interesting and tasty, but they don't taste or smell like a more traditional cigar. They taste more like a floral Bright Virginia cigar.

Prilep is wonderful in an English-style pipe blend. I've never tried it blended with cigar leaf for a pipe.

Bob

ArizonaDave

I have rolled some small cigars entirely of Prilep. They are interesting and tasty, but they don't taste or smell like a more traditional cigar. They taste more like a floral Bright Virginia cigar.

Prilep is wonderful in an English-style pipe blend. I've never tried it blended with cigar leaf for a pipe.

Bob

Bob, thanks so much for answering!
I guess it wouldn't hurt at all to try. I also chew, and sometimes have a pipe. Don't think I've ever met a Tobacco leaf I didn't like in some way :) Besides at that price I can't lose!

Brooksy

Don, I have a couple questions for you.

Just wondering. There are no wrong answers if anyone wants to chime in.

I'm not Don, but....I use 4 or 5 prelip leaves down the middle of a cigar. These are small leaves, probably 3" max. my cigars still taste like a cigar, the prilep just gives a nice new demension, smooth and no bite.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I just added some of Don's Prilep to my standard cigarette blend. I started with ol' faithful: 40% Bright Leaf, 20% Burley, 20% Maryland, 10% Dark Air, 10% Izmir. I put the blend (less than a pound) back into the tub that sits under my Powermatic and measured the height of the tobacco in the tub. 6cm. I wanted to add 5% Prilep to my existing blend so I shredded and spread out the Prilep in the tub until I measured 6cm, 3mm total height (Is that how you say that or is it 63mm?). The smoke is very flavorful and milder than it was before adding the Prilep. I really like the added flavor but I want to get strength back up a tiny amount. My next attempt from scratch will be 40% Bright Leaf, 20% Burley, 20% Maryland, 10% Dark Air, 5% Izmir, and 5% Prilep. That one may be a winner.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Half the country should be metric and the other half should be standard. That way we could all sell our extra tools. :rolleyes:

Woodsroad

Knucklehead, tobacco blend components should be measured in weight, not height ;-)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Knucks is effectively measuring it by volume, since the cross-section is unchanged. I think that's about as accurate as you can expect, given the inherent variability in batches of leaf.

Bob

Woodsroad

Volume varies by density. A pound of shredded Virginia Bright can fill a one gallon jar, a quart jar, a pint jar or (believe it or not) an 8oz jar.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Volume varies by density. A pound of shredded Virginia Bright can fill a one gallon jar, a quart jar, a pint jar or (believe it or not) an 8oz jar.

Weight varies by moisture content. Pick your poison. This thread lists many of the reasons I use the system that I do. The main reason is that my cigarette blend tastes the same from batch to batch. Another reason is that I can duplicate my blend with no added time. I build the blend as I shred. Easy peasy. My father taught me Time Through Motion Studies while I was a teenager. It was a curse. I've spent my life with a stop watch going inside my head no matter what I do. http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3609-Shredding-Blending-by-Volume

Last edited:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Scrooge McDuck Scientific Method:

• Using a large sheet of poster paper, mark off a rectilinear grid (like giant graph paper).
  • Start with the major blend component, and toss it up in the air like dollar bills.
  • Count the squares you want for that component, remove the remainder of the tobacco, then set the counted tobacco aside for the blend.
  • Repeat with each component (at least one of which is Don's Prilep).
  • Blend together.
If it's good enough for Uncle Scrooge McDuck...

Bob

Woodsroad

You can just eyeball measurements by volume, or dole it out by the handful, scoop, bucket or front-end loader. If you want to repeat your results, though, you need to weigh the components. It's how every manufacturer and blender does it. 5% Perique by weight isn't very much, but try to measure that by volume, again and again and again.

Moisture content varies, it's true, however at the absolute worst case, it's a 20% variable. In most cases (if the tobacco isn't either crumbling dry or soaking wet) the variable is under 6%. There are plenty of inexpensive digital scales available.

Nothing about eyeballing amounts is going to make a bad blend. The results just won't be repeatable.

MoistureLevelMBW_Page_1-vi.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.