Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Anyone know how to increase sucroester intentionally

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Does anyone know how to increase the sucroester in tobacco intentionally? I'm have a small test crop of a certain Turkish type of tobacco grown that will be flue cured. I'd like to try to get a high sucroester content if possible.

I know it would be easiest to start with the right variety, but in its absence, I'm trying to work with what I have.

forumdotabaco

The only way that comes to my mind is to increase them the sun exposure and watering, assuming they are outside I don't know how to do it ; only by indoor growing with lamps and playing with the light hours they get, but sudden and non wanted flowering can occur.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
According to: Physiology and Biochemistry of Tobacco Plants (T.C. Tso)

1. " Young tobacco plants may absorb sugar sprayed onto the leaves and ... such treatment appeared to encourage root development upon transplanting"
2. A high aphid infestation may reduce sugar content considerably"
3. "Nutritional deficiencies also contribute to the sugar variations in tobacco...Boron deficient plants maintained a rather low sugar content.."
4. " The starch content of the leaves was found to decrease markedly on senescing or yellowing of leaves"
5. " Generally thermal treatment decreased the amount of reducing sugars.." He then goes on to a long explanation but the bottom line is the lower ( temp wise) you can flue cure the more sugar you'll have left in the leaf.
6. " During the bulking process the quantity of sucrose was greatly reduced and there was a corresponding increase in reducing sugars"

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I think we're confusing sucrose esters with sugar. Sucrose esters (e.g. sucrose moiety bound to a fatty acid moiety) tend to be complex, large molecules, some of which represent the essential aromas of certain varieties of tobacco.

Bob

istanbulin

Founding Member
I don't think increasing sucrose esters will improve the taste of the tobacco. Depending on the growing conditions and variety, a plant produce different sucrose esters and they contribute the taste differently. What type of a taste is desired ? Which sucrose ester will contribute the desired taste ? How can be the synthesis controlled ? Some of the sucrose esters give cheese like, sour smell (butyric, propionic etc.), some of them give unpleasant smell or taste (off-notes) when burned.
An average Oriental tobacco contains good amount of sucrose esters but this sometimes makes them undesireable (for some people) because of the heavy smell they create when burned (bad room note). On the other hand flue curing process reduces (decomposes) the sucrose esters in tobacco leaf because of the applied heat while curing. But if you want to try, I think it's better to start with a high sucrose ester producing (or containing) variety.

holyRYO

From what I have read on flue curing, to maximize the sugar content, yellow as fast as possible then wilt and start drying as soon as possible. Also would make sense to pick late in the day with most favorable weather conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.