Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Info on new GRIN accessions

Status
Not open for further replies.

JessicaNicot

so via the wiktoria leads, I have found a new tobacco repository in Poland, although it does not appear to be public in nature. I have asked them to try to verify that we requested the wiktoria seed from them, for formal permission to add it to our collection (because as a professional entity you should not be seen as pillaging other collections), and for a copy of a really snazzy looking book they produced called "album of nicotiana species".

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Just as a precaution, I would verify elsewhere any statements made on the heirloomtobacco website. In the past, the owner of the site has been reticent to share any provenance of his seed, and fairly coy about the historical references. It might all be legit.

Bob

Or ignored altogether, as Skychaser carries the two varieties listed on the heirloomtobacco website. The Sustainable Seed Mopan Mayan is also probably from Skychaser.

forumdotabaco

Just remind myself that, since we are talking about some Latin American species if there's the need for Spanish or Portuguese translations let me know. Vuelta abajo means turning down, Partidos means 3 things , break apart or separated, matches, and parties, vuelta abajo leads me to think in mountains and the place where people use to turn way down.
Check this maps
http://www.jaberni-coleccionismo-vitolas.com/1A.2-Cultivo-y-Elaboracion del Tabaco.htm

forumdotabaco

I know that is a growing region, in link I posted there's a map with both "districts" , just scroll down a little bit you will see it.
Vuelta abajo in spanish means turning down , or come down depends on the context its the same expression in Portuguese
"volta a baixo" = turning down or volta para baixo = come down or back down , Vuelta refers to the act of turn, "dando vueltas" = circling
abajo = down

JessicaNicot

Some of the new lines are (all N. tabacum):

AC White
AC Gayed
Mopan Mayo
Yumbo
Besuki
Partidos
Wiktoria

UPDATE:

some of the seed is starting to come in for a few of these new varieties. there should be plenty of Partidos and Besuki to go around. Wiktoria and the AC lines were a little later to maturity so they aren't ready quite yet.

JessicaNicot

Is Wiktoria be name efter Qveen of Enklant, only vit Transylvania spellink?

Bobbovitch

I'm thinking more like Polish "victory" for transferring TSWV resistance into something that didn't look awful. It didn't look like a bad plant to me in the greenhouse (I didn't test its resistance tho), but Polalta from which it is derived has awful veins, club shaped leaves and tends to form laminar tumors. the linkage of these traits with the resistance gene has been something our program was unable to break.

Markw

Hi Greg it is good to see your season is going well, yes I have been growing the PI 349332 from Poland this year. I is a very small plant but you can see the leaves have lots of Nicotine in them by the feel of the leaf. the other interesting plant this year is the PI 121536, it is a good looking plant, it kind of reminds me of a Silver River. I will be sending the seeds back to the seed-bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.