Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

GarryRicketson 1st grow attempt 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Great turn around. They're looking a lot better than I was expecting after the start you had. You've worked through some problems. It looks like you're going to end up with a great season.

garryricketson

Thanks,
They're looking a lot better than I was expecting after the start you had

Me too, I am surprised how they took off recently,.. at first I had them more spaced, but they way the wind kept tearing them down, and they were not growing much, I planted more in between, so now it is some what over crowded, should have been more patient I guess, on the other hand, being close together, seems to help, they give each other support,...
I am really impressed now with the rustica, and I like it, A guy sent me some that is well cured, so now I have a pretty good idea as to what mine will be like.
I have all ready gotten almost 2 lbs, from leaves that started turning yellow, toppings, or prunings,..I am estimating it will be about 2 lbs, when fully dry, it is a lot more now,.. The thing is, when I pruned, and took the biggest leaves, now the plants have started, growing more, new big leaves, and lots of "branches", with smaller leaves, like bushes,.. some where I cut the whole top, near the base, or ground, have now produced 2 main stems,..double,..and the leaves are getting big.
I am noticeing there is "suckers", but there are also what will become "branches", not like the suckers,.. good pruning on these plants is the key to higher production I think. A guy on a spanish forum had a good tutorial on this, Rustica, or "mapacho", is what he grows, and smokes.

garryricketson

Been real busy, so have not had much chance to post here, I did get some of the, seeds you sent started, but some how a snail got in, and just the 1 snail, ate all the seedling sprouts,..just barely started to sprout , there were a lot of sprouts in the first week, actually a little less then a week, I checked saturday, before I went home for the weekend, but when I returned Sunday evening, and checked, all the sprouts had disappeared!, just the 1 snail was there,...I gave it a very slow death, ...then gave the pieces to the rustica plants,...they seem to like squished, or chopped snails very much!....Any more sprouts did appear, and I put more seed in, just to be sure,...
I am getting some plants into the field, where the wind mill is,..we need some rain though too,..

garryricketson

Sorry I have not been around much, very busy,...almost every day I am getting a few of the bottom leaves turning yellow, on the Bursa, ...lots of insects, The Rusticas, are all done , not flowering any more, for awhile that was a chore in it self, I got a LOT of seed pods, so plenty of seed, (rustica),. the Bursa is just now starting to get some seed pods, but still green, mostly flowers.
I had started some other plants, in mid/late July, none have done well, it was very hot and dry, now we are getting heavy rains, I lost most of the smaller plants, they drowned, and the ones that didn't drown, got ate by snails,...need to do something about these snails, next year,..I am sure next year will be better.
Any way, it looks like I am going to end up with enough tobacco to last me through to next year, if no disasters occur in this coming month. Even though the growing season seems to be long enough to get 2 grows,...the second, started in July, did not work out at all, ...for me, here, it seems to be best to start early, and have the plants as mature as possible, by this time, August,..In Penon Blanco, near here, the growers there have also all ready started their harvest,...
Here is some photos,
---------------------\
SAM_1231.jpgSAM_1232.jpgSAM_1233.jpgSAM_1234.jpgSAM_1235.jpgSAM_1236.jpgSAM_1237.jpgSAM_1238.jpgSAM_1239.jpgSAM_1240.jpg

garryricketson

Here is what I have drying and curing so far:
SAM_1247.jpgSAM_1248.jpg
These are the biggest Rustica leaves,(below),
SAM_1249.jpg
SAM_1250.jpg
The rest are Bursa, I have a lot of smaller rustica leaves, but not in the photos, maybe later I will post them.
Some of the "bundles" are actually both , rustica and bursa mixed.

DGBAMA

Nice turn out Garry. The bursa looks to be a winner for your climate. I grew it last year, like most orientals, great on flavor and low on nicotine. I look forward to hearing how it smokes blended with your rustica.

garryricketson

I like it blended with the rustica, the bursa seems to cure some what faster, but I had planted the rustica earlier, at this point though I still need to wait a while and let the rustica cure more, some that I picked earliest is ok, but will be much better in a few months,.. I have been getting the biggest leaves as they turn yellow, many of the plants I topped, are growing suckers, many also are producing bug leaves,..I may have some problem finding the space to hang all of my harvest to cure, and dry, my bathroom is full!,....sorry I have not been around, too busy, every day picking yellow leaves, but the plants keep getting bigger,and growing more leaves !,...later this winter I will be here more,...
sam_1297-jpg.2477

sam_1294-jpg.2478
sam_1313-jpg.2479
sam_1309-jpg.2480
sam_1315-jpg.2474
sam_1316-jpg.2475
sam_1317-jpg.2476

Rickey60

Garry, your grow this year turned out nice. I know you had some problems early in the grow but it seems you came out a winner. I love your pictures.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Try sun curing the rustica too, it turns out a nice golden color, at least my corn planter did.

garryricketson

Try sun curing the rustica too, it turns out a nice golden color, at least my corn planter did.
Also thanks Rickey, The problem here is it is so dry, they dry out too fast, How ever I do agree, that would be the best way, I had a few plants that were in a different area, they "died", they had flowered, but also because they did not get watered ,they did turn a very nice color, dark golden brown, I also have some, (not in the photos), hanging out side,in the shade, I try to keep them outside as long as I can, .....lately we have had enough humidity, they are not drying out, and turn color nicely,.. Ok well, for now that is about it.....I do have a lot of seed too, for next year,..that is good. thanks for the replies,..

DGBAMA

Gary, when it is too dry, you can pick the leaves and put them in a trash bag to retain moisture. Take them out and turn/restack them once a day. Repeat until yellow or color changes. Then they can be hung to dry even sun cure without ending green.

Status
Not open for further replies.