Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

GarryRicketson 1st grow attempt 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

garryricketson

This year is my first time trying to grow tobacco. This is in Cuencame,Dgo. mexico
Most of the plants so far are rustica.
1t.JPG
These just got transpanted yesterday, they are kind of "droopy" still,
2t.JPG
next
3t.JPG
The stones and stuff are to protect them from the wind smashing them, which it did at first, however with stones and sticks for support they are doing better.
4t.JPG
The bugs, or some thing seemed to eat on the leaves, almost faster then they were growing, however if and when the plants got bigger, it (the "bug") seems to start leaving them alone,
5t.jpg6t.jpg7t.jpg9t.jpg10t.jpgSAM_1041.jpg
The wheel barrow now has some "Bursa", but they are still pretty small,
8t.jpg9t.jpg

Attachments

• 1t.jpg
    1t.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 148

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Re: GarryRicketson1stgrowattempt2014

They look like they are thriving. So far so good. The "bug" might be slugs. They seem to be the first thing to attack my little seedlings after transplant.

Rickey60

They look good to me Garry. Keep an eye out for the bugs. Good start, keep us posted.

garryricketson

Hmm, slug, Is that the same as a snail, I have found a few, also locusts. Tried some powder, "malathion" or something like that, but really did not seem to help much. There is not much available here, as far as "garden supplies". There is a small "nursery" of sorts, the powder is all he had, but after all said and done, I really kind of don't like putting chemical poison on something I will be smoking later.
The area where I am planting had never been worked, or planted, and part of it had been a "junk pile", and garbage, took a LOT of cleaning up, lots of pieces of old plastic pipe,rubber,bottles,metal scraps, all sorts of junk. No "roto tiller" available, but in that area one would not have been able to use one anyway. It is kind of a as I go project, using a pick at first to break up the ground, then with a shovel, finally with the hoe, and I keep "tilling", around the plants with a hand "trowel", or actually it is a spatchula but any way, it is because the dirt hardens up real easy, and then the water does not soak down into the ground, it also forms a hard ball around the roots, like cement, in some areas,,..I think next year, everything will be much easier, and better. You can see , I am right by the well, almost on top of it.
All though from what I have read, people recommend "full" sunlight, but here, that did not work out, it really "zaps" the plants, the dirt dries out quickly,hardening like cement, . One of the guys where i buy tobacco (penon blanco), commented they plant, where there is a litle sun, a little shade,a little sun, a little shade...like that repeated. I am working around and under a big mesquite tree, that seems to working out best, it provides shade, but there is enough sunlight getting thru, and the plants do get "full" sunlight for a little while, then some shade, as the sun moves, this changes, sometimes full sunlight, then a chance to "cool" a little, with shade. Probably, in winter, or before I plant again next year, I am going to thin the branches on the tree, some of the bigger ones, so they get a little more sunlight next year. All around is very intense bright sunlight, so not only from above, but around, the light gets reflected.

Brown Thumb

A little tray of beer will get the slugs, Neat way of doing things.
never saw a wheelbarrel starter tray, Have a super season.

forumdotabaco

that's how they kill turkeys here lol, thank you, will it work by spraying the leafs? have you tried it before ?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
that's how they kill turkeys here lol, thank you, will it work by spraying the leafs? have you tried it before ?

It won't work by spraying the leaves. The beer is an attraction, not a poison. It must be placed into a pan so that the snails will drown when they come to drink.

Brown Thumb

If you were to spray the leaves it would be a Baccy and beer party for them critters.
Also alcohol abuse.

forumdotabaco

:D thank you I will run a test on the land with beer to see if I can have an idea in what numbers they could be present.

garryricketson

I don't drink, beer nor any alcohol , it might me interesting to see what happens, but I don't really have the money to be buying a bunch of slugs and snails beer,..
any way, here are some more photos, One plant has started producing 'suckers", and appears to be getting flower buds, I want to save this one for seed, or do I need at least 2 ?, ...
11t.jpg
Below is a shot from the distance, of the area where I planted, the plants don't show that well,
12t.JPG

and this
13t.JPG

These are the "Bursa", I am just now starting to thin and transplant them.
14t.JPG

In the lower right, the small ones in the flower pot, were "little Dutch", however over the Easter weekend, I was only gone 2 days, but there was enough wind,and it was hot one day, anyway they dried out and died. ):
for now I guess that is about it, kind of embarassing, mine is not much of a grow ,compared to others, hopefully next time goes better.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
It is coming along nicely.

You can find the snails at night with a flashlight. Many times they will be on the under side of the leaves.

Tobacco is self pollinating, so you won't need a second plant for pollination. Just bag that one bud head and you will have seed.

Brown Thumb

Size does not matter. You are doing a super job. Keep up the Good Work! I went from over 800 to less than 250 Chit Happens I just started over and hoped for the best.
BT

garryricketson

This evening I found one snail, it still was not dark, but guess he WAS a 'early riser", moving right along, pretty fas for a snail, making a bee line for a younger plant, I cut it's head off with my spatchula, so got some vengence. Interesting, about the flashlight, at night, based on what I am seeing there are not to many, but in the mornings, there are all ways 2 or 3 plants with more holes in the leaves....pretty much the smallest plants. The bigger plants ,they seem to be leaving alone.
Just got a idea, I may try, here it is cheap, but I bet the snails do not like crawling over hot red chili powder either, ants certainly don't. It shouldn't hurt the plants, but I can try it on 1 or 2, and see first.

Status
Not open for further replies.