Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

The right NPK fertilizer for float trays

Status
Not open for further replies.

forumdotabaco

I've been looking for this specific info at the forum and I found so many NPk formulas that I get confused:
what could be the right formula to use in float trays?
As an example this doc http://www.forumdotabaco.com/viewtopic.php?f=165&t=3218&p=3415&hilit=fertilized#p3415
refers to low NPK fertilizers and low amounts of ppm added but, Ive seen people refer to the use of hight NPK and ppm
what does your experience with float trays tells you about this ?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
BigBonner, the commercial farmer, uses 20-10-20 water soluble fertilizer and a total ppm of 900 for Burley tobaccos, around 750 for flue cured and Oriental varieties. I use the same with good results.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I fertilize my float tray to 900ppm at about 4 weeks. I've read some of the literature from the Ag Universities and they use something like (if I remember correctly) 400ppm to 600ppm. I think the fertilizer rate depends somewhat on how big you want your plants to be when they are ready to transplant outside. I'm happy with 900ppm but next year I'll try 600 to see if there is much of a difference.

leverhead

I fertilize my float tray to 900ppm at about 4 weeks. I've read some of the literature from the Ag Universities and they use something like (if I remember correctly) 400ppm to 600ppm. I think the fertilizer rate depends somewhat on how big you want your plants to be when they are ready to transplant outside. I'm happy with 900ppm but next year I'll try 600 to see if there is much of a difference.

I'm using about 600ppm this year for a bunch of different types. Most look happy, the Burleys want more.

forumdotabaco

hi everyone and thank you.
This was the kind of feedback I was looking for, keep posting your experiences please.:rolleyes:

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I'm using about 600ppm this year for a bunch of different types. Most look happy, the Burleys want more.
That's good to know since I don't have any Burleys this year. At 900 they all seem fine, none showing excessive growth. At what age do you start fertilizing. .... Expecting a smart-ass response.. I mean at what age is the tobacco?...:rolleyes:

leverhead

That's good to know since I don't have any Burleys this year. At 900 they all seem fine, none showing excessive growth. At what age do you start fertilizing. .... Expecting a smart-ass response.. I mean at what age is the tobacco?...:rolleyes:

I hope that I am not letting you down, I'm out of smart-ass replies until UPS comes on Friday. I move my seedlings to cells when they have some green, so I start right out with it. This is my 3rd year doing this, the Burleys are the only ones that look pale.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
You Guys make Me laughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! You are the best in the grow world and acting like Me? I think Your ferts are fine. And would love to have all of Your dirt here. Use what You need for Your area. Mine is 20-20-20, cause this is not dirt here. Scot

Markw

I am getting ready to launch my plants, I am still trying to work out my mix and how much to add per 2 gallons of water. I am using 25:15:15 plus 7 essential trace elements that are all ready added to the soluble plant food.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I was considering to use 20-20-20 two weeks after transplant isn't it to strong for float trays?
the guy from Trimbletobacco does use 20-10-20 like BigBonner
http://www.forumdotabaco.com/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=3074

20-20-20 isn't too strong..BUT.. it depends on how much of the fertilizer you add. For instance I use 20-10-20 and the label says to use 1 Tablespoon per gallon. The problem is, when I use my TDS meter 1Tablespoon would have given me a TDS reading of about 2000. This would have probably killed my plants. Using my meter I determined that I need to add about 1 teaspoon per gallon.

forumdotabaco

Thank you , I will use a TDS meter to, I already brought one 2 days ago in ebay., I've been looking for tobacco fertilizers here and I found a 20-20-20 from Bayer and some other brands but I was unable to find a 20-10-20 I need to keep looking.
some contain urea which is not desirable.
When using a TDS and you notice you overused fertilizer you just have to join more water to dilute right?

COLIN

Don't forget to do a PH reading as well. With a ppm reading of 700 you will need a Ph of 6.1.

forumdotabaco

you are right I will have to review that, because if I am correct ph determines the absorption of nutrients
so i will have to learn how to adjust the ppm with the ph of the water, thank you for the advise

bonehead

i use hydroponic fertilizer for my seedlings and can customize the nutrients to what ever i am shooting for at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.