Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Re: Where to Start & How - To Grow and Roll My Own Cigars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quo155

I intend on getting some tobacco seeds, planting them, growing them, harvesting them, curing them...and then once ready, roll my own cigars. I am completely new to this hobby. I know nothing more than the few things I have read and/or researched online, over the past few years...on and off. Then, today I joined this forum as I thought I better learn a few things before dropping $25ish on some seeds and, pots, etc. I tend to jump into things with all I have, over whelm myself and quickly loose interest as I've complicated things...or done too much at one time. This time, I intend to NOT follow my same old patterns...thus this thread!

It all started today with me almost purchasing these items:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171013970428?var=470241456969

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171015541596?var=470242079870

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171015541596?var=470242079869

Then, I went to look for some latika or such to add some character to my cigars. I am also a pipe smoker and I often enjoy good aromatics. I recently smoked a Leccia Black cigar and I quickly feel in love! I am always looking to try new smokes and the idea of blending some "pipe tobacco" into my cigars really intrigues me.

So, here are my questions:

I had thought I needed the three tobacco leaves mentioned above, Virginia, Havana and Connecticut. But after doing a little reading here on the forum (and elsewhere), I've determined that I may not know what I want...or better stated, need! So, can you possibly help me with where I should begin, growing what types of tobacco? What other info do I need to share to help you help me, in regards to my normal cigars or pipes that I smoke, etc.?

Looking at these eBay items, would I have been overpaying? Are these, from what YOU, the experienced grower can tell...even legit seeds? Was I on track?

Where is the best place to obtain the needed seeds for simply growing what I need, for a small personal operation?

I like just about anything, and I am after something "different"...but I feel that by trying to do something different, in regards to flavor profile, etc....I might be setting myself up for failure? What say you?

Where do I go from here? I hit the pause button on the above purchase as I now know that I need help! Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Lastly...should I really FIRST obtain some whole leafs that are already grown...and begin to learn the process of rolling the cigar and trying out varieties....BEFORE I begin to grow? I am open to doing this too...

Last edited by a moderator:

quo155

Re: Where to Start & How?

Bob, thank you for the list...I will look them over for sure!

On the number of plants, good question! From looking at how many cigars can come from a plant, I believe I would need to grow anywhere from 4-10 of each leaf that I'd want. I believe I want 3-4 different plants. So far, I think I want a Virginia, Havana, Connecticut and Latakia. I realized earlier today that I am full of ideas and I really don't know what I want...or should lean to. I also realize that I am posting a lot of "what if's" here, for that I am sorry! Again, I am open to ideas and suggestions...

Thank you!

Knucklehead

Founding Member

Do both. Order seed and whole leaf. You start immediately saving money by beginning to roll your own with whole leaf tobacco. The founder of this forum owns www.wholeleaftobacco.com and I am smoking his leaf and loving every minute of it. One of our members, Skychaser, owns the seed site http://northwoodseeds.com/ and supplies many of the other vendors.

Try the cigar sampler and the wrapper sampler at WLT. You'll never go back to commercial.

Indianamac

Diddo!!! WLT to start rolling now & NWT seeds to start growing.

I have bought from both & both are credible. As Knuck says, cigar sampler is the way to start. You get hooked from there.

Oh yeah, welcome to the club..

MarcL

Good info here.
I gotta say, Get some leaf to get rolling, it sound like it would give you great pleasure to get started.
wholeleaftobacco has the best leaf anywhere.

I did buy seed from surf_monkey_coconut, and they seem ok but, I'm not a big grower and he probably gets them from one of the places mentioned above.

These guys would know better though.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member

...Virginia, Havana, Connecticut and Latakia.
First, the Latakia that you're thinking of is a heavily fire-cured leaf--a technique that none of us has successfully duplicated (not even close). So, I would suggest scratching that from the grow list for year 1, and ordering some of Don's superb whole leaf Latakia for your pipe. It's not very nice in a cigar.

For a cigar wrapper that will be sun-grown [I don't think you're eager to build a shade structure], I would suggest Florida Sumatra for EMS, or CT Broadleaf for a darker wrapper.

There are numerous named and numbered Havana varieties. I would suggest Vuelta Abajo (available at North Wood Seeds).

Pennsylvania Red and Little Dutch are relatively easy to cure cigar filler types.

Pick a Virginia, any Virginia.

40 plants total is just about the same amount of work as 20, and 40 is quite manageable for a first grow.

Bob

quo155

WoW! So much great information here...and several leads! I will be reading back through these and looking at all of my options today.

I now plan on buying some leaf to begin to learn the process of rolling my own, by hand...this really excites me already!

I have one nice feller that has already offered to send me some seeds. I will be glad to get those and see what I get and I will also try to nail down a few to order...from all that's been suggested here. Keep the info and suggestions coming!

Thank you all...so much for already being such great help to a 100% noob...and someone you don't even know, unless we've crossed paths on other forums! Thanks! ! !

-Tommy
AKA: quo155 & BigHossCCF

istanbulin

Founding Member

I really like the combination of Little Dutch (filler) Comstock Spanish (binder) and CT Shade (wrapper). As a sun grown wrapper, as Bob suggested, FL Sumatra is easier to grow and provides good amount of wrapper grade leaves and tastes good. I haven't tried home grown CT Broadleaf yet, I hope I'll this year.

quo155

Thank you @istanbulin for your help...I'm still looking at all of my MANY options on growing. I already have some seeds on the way from a gracious member and I'm about to pull the plug on purchasing some whole leaf to begin learning to roll. I'm so excited!!!

BarG

Founding Member
Good to hear from you, and welcome to FTT. One variety that stands out for me is Pennsylvania Red. It is Wrapper ,bInder ,and Filler. Of a first grow I would include if possible.

Kiln your homegrown leaf or be dissapointed. For Cigars you will notice this.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Larry built a bad ass machine. Indestructable. It survived me. I was using Habano seco,Habano viso, fl.sumatra,fire cured, PA Red binders, Bezuki wrappers, and cranking out cigars.
I think He has a couple up for grabs now befor he has to put the hands to work. And I think He will custom build You one as well. Bullet proof is bullet proof! As BarG said " BAD ASS"! This (GIRL) has been around to try out after He built it and is a monster even befor He sent it out to try. PS: Yes "SHE" has a name. Sweeeeeeet work for a master..

BarG

Founding Member
You are tempted to roll it by hand anyway, because thats fun to . But starting it by hand and putting in Larrys machine to finish is so different. I rarely roll more than 1 or 2 at a time and even with this I probably wouldn't roll a box full. But if you set it up for your use you would be amazed at what it could do. I played for an hour and tried to make a vid. The machine works and works well. I have a lot of cigars.

quo155

Well...I finally figured out exactly where I want to start and I want to do, and that I can spare the $ to purchase the following:

WLT's Cigar Wrapper Sampler and the Cigar Tobacco Sampler...to only find out that the Wrapper Sampler is now out of stock once I try adding it to my cart! That'd be my luck! I couldn't pull the trigger any sooner due to funds but once I'm ready, it's too late for mow!

Now what to do...more looking I guess, and painful waiting! LOL!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.