Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Vapor Proof Bags

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
One of the biggest obstacles to overcome in selling Whole Leaf has been getting the product to the consumer in a condition that is both presentable and manageable. If the leaf arrives brittle dry, it is perceived as being unmanageable...and to a large degree, I would agree. The task then was to find a way for the leaf to remain in proper case for an extended period of time. After many hours of research and trial and error, I finally found the proper material that remedies both conditions.

The material is a triple laminated polynylon that all but stops vapor transmission from exiting the package. This maintains proper moisture content in the leaf for a very long time. The research suggests the rate of vapor transmission is slow enough to allow the leaf to remain in case for up to a full year. Some research suggests an even longer time frame. I've only been using this material for about three months so I can't tell you the leaf will remain in case for a year, but what I can tell you is after three months, there has been no noticeable loss of moisture from within the package.

An additional benefit to using these vapor proof bags is the possibility the condition within the bag may accommodate fermentation of the leaf while sealed in the bag. This is currently a hypothetical condition, but early (accidental) results suggest it to be true.

I'd like to make these bags available to any member looking for a long term way to store their leaf. In that the bags are made of thermo-plastic, getting a vapor proof seal can be attained with a simple clothes iron. You'll have to mess around with the settings on the iron, but if you start on the low end and work your way up, you'll find the sweet spot that provides the proper seal without melting the bag. If you have an impulse sealer...all the better.

The bags will be sold at cost to all members who wish to buy them. The bags come in four different sizes...

1 lb. bags are 9" x 22" $0.60 each
5 lb. bags are 18" x 24" $1.25 each
10 lb. bags are 22" x 34" $1.60 each
sizes are approximate.

Shipping should be minimal, but figure around $5 or so. A few bags will be less and a lot will be more, but it will be the actual shipping cost whatever it is. I'm offering these as a courtesy to members because I know the importance of keeping your leaf in workable condition.

Trust me, I've become expert at bringing leaf back to life and I'm not going to miss it one bit.

Send me a PM with what you'd like to have and an invoice will be generated from paypal, be sure to include your mailing address and email address in the PM.

Last edited:

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
The 1 lb. bags are 7" x 22". These are the outside dimensions and the seal on the sides is about 1/2", so you get a 6" opening at one end. This is a little tight, but 1 lb. will fit. You will have to fold the tips over or cut the stems shorter or both...or just don't grow your leaf so dang long ;)

P1010002.jpg

The 5 lb. bags are 16" x 30" and are big enough to fit 6-7 lbs.

P1010004.jpg

The 10 lb. bags are 22" x 34"

P1010003.jpg

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
looks like some good storage bags,,,

im gonna let mine hang till useage,,,,

but you cant beat them bags and the price if you had a lot to store,

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
probably a 'dumb' question about using these Vapor Proof storage bags !
Would there be any adverse effects of sealing tobacco, in medium case, in these bags, then placing in the kiln-fermenter? Temperature not to exceed 130 degrees. This might be an easy way to keep the proper RH while fermenting.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
LR,
That is a curious question. I think the answer needs to consider two different issues.

"Poly Nylon" is not a specific product. Nylon is polyamide. There are vacuum pouch products, however, that are polyethylene on the inside, and cast nylon on the exterior. Nylon's melting point is considerably above the boiling point of water. The melting point of polyethylene, though, differs with the nature of the polyethylene (high-density--HDPE, low-density--LDPE, etc.). A safe melting point value for an unknown polyethylene is about 140ºF. I use Ziplock freezer bags within my kiln, but they are left wide open.

The second part of this issue is what happens to the medium-case leaf within a sealed pouch at 130ºF for a month. I don't know. With modest ventilation, some fierce odors can come out of a kiln. I suspect that the only way to know how it works is to give it a try with a small batch of something. [I noticed that the "Poly Nylon" vacuum pouches offered by www.uline.com indicate that they are not compatible with a "home" sealer. Apparently the heat output is not high enough to adequately seal the bag.]

Let us know how this turns out.

Bob

BigBonner

Founding Member
How about Bio degradeable ? Isn't most plastics made to be biodegradeable now days especially if the light hits it .

Knucklehead

Founding Member
WholeLeafTobacco or PM you to order? You state the main use as shipping. Will they work for long term storage and aging?

BarG

Founding Member
A regular clothes iron works great on low setting. Press area to seal for 1 second along edge.

I found that 2 1/2 gallon ziplocks are the right dimension for putting multiple varietys in a 5lb bag and you can leave unsealed for easy acces. These bags are tough! I've tried the new 1 lb and 5 lb bags and my next order will include some 10 lb.

All of last years crop is safely stored away making room for this years final curing of leaf in my shed for some ageing, minus a full fridge kiln load, Its time to reorder.

I have a question though if there is a desired temperature for storing the sealed bags, I am assuming there is.

The sealed bags and one open bag are all cigar leaf, the rest is cig baccy. The cigar bags are combo filler and wrapper so They are not filled to capacity to pack wrapper leaf as carefull as possible for what will hopefully make some nice wrapper in far future.
Pa red, Fl. Sumatra,Havana 425, and Ct. Broadleaf.

100_2364.jpg

Last edited:

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
I've got most of the last 2 years' crops stored in Don's bags. They are great! Am going to have go buy more for this year's crop.
I've used the iron on hot temp, with a dish towel between the iron and the bag, to seal it.
I just store at room temperature, tobacco at low+ case, with the bags a little puffed up, for lots of air for continued ageing. I have never seen any signs of mold (my biggest worry). Opened a 2-year old bag a couple months ago, the odor was overwhelmly pleasant.

BarG

Founding Member
My hands were hanging in bundles while I left my shed open on a very humid night, but some of the hands had to be lightly misted and left in large trash sack before packing away. They were a bit to dry still in center and maybe a bit to high on outer leaves. I am hoping it will all equalize to be just right and I left a lot of air also. I didn't want to dry to prevent crumbling or cracking but still pliable. I'll probably check one in a couple weeks.

BarG

Founding Member
I opened up a bag of the kilned Pa Red stored in a 5 lb bag to destem a hand for cigars. still in perfect case for handling and destemming. Great smell no sign whatsoever of mold and ready to roll.

100_2408.jpg

These should last a few months along with my other varietys I use.