Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Rolling Habanos

Gdaddy

The exact combination of filler stalk positions will depend on what you want, and the tobacco varieties that you have to work with. Also, the total number of filler leaves can determine the ring gauge of your cigar, depending on the length. It certainly wouldn't hurt to begin with her numbers.

Bob

My cigar mold is 52 ring so I needed a 'recipe' that would give me a consistent thickness to fit that mold properly. When I eye-balled it sometimes it would fit to tight or too loose in the mold. Not good. The amount she uses is where I landed through trial and error and fits a 52 perfectly.

Gdaddy

When using this 'recipe' if I use a thicker leaf like the African Flojo I have to reduce the amount of leaf by 1/2 of a leaf less or it will roll too tightly. So there needs to be a judgement call when rolling different leaves.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
When using this 'recipe' if I use a thicker leaf like the African Flojo I have to reduce the amount of leaf by 1/2 of a leaf less or it will roll too tightly. So there needs to be a judgement call when rolling different leaves.

The thicker leaves will weigh more. If you want to weigh your tobacco, there is a table in this thread giving approximate weights for different ring gauges and length of cigars. I would imagine it's just an approximation, but it should get you close and you can adjust from there. http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3646-Table-of-Cigar-sizes-by-weight

Chris A

the "flag" segment, used to reinforce the head, is cut so that its vein will align with the axis of the cigar

Bob-
Is this intentional? I assume so, but I think I've seen other videos where this wasn't the case.

Chris A

What I liked best about this video was that is confirmed what I'm doing the right way, and showed me some new ideas. I really like the double binder.

rainmax

Founding Member
I believe that the most valuable feature of Maks' video is that it demonstrates just how simple the process of rolling a cigar can be. Yes, it requires practice to become proficient--just as every skill requires. But the concepts are genuinely simple. The most challenging requirement is for your fingers to get a sense of what your eyes see happening in the video.

With filler leaf that is dry (but not crumbly), you can roll a cigar as tightly as possible, and still get an excellent draw.

Bob

It is that simple. Just practice. "practice makes the master if the master makes practice" This is saying (proverb?) in my country I don't know if it has sense in english.

It was my wish to learn cigar rolling for almost 20 years. Finally I have opportunity and knowledge, which improves from one day to another. I'm still the beginner.
Few days ago I watched again videos from Rickey Taylor from whom I learned a lot. You can check his videos on U tube; What is interesting; this guy always turns binder leaves in wrong directions, so the veins runs vertical on his cigar. He just think and believe that this way is better because he likes to start rolling with wider side of the leaf. Also top of his leaves goes to head instead of foot or I see it that way. From him I learned bookie style rolling, which is the most easy technik but I did always turn binder as our torcedora. I only see it as "mistake" now. So, what is right?, or wrong, if there is such a thing? He enjoy his cigars. I wonder if he has any problems with ash falling, how is the draw, how's burning without volado and so on? For me parallel veins turned binder is proper way.
He doesn't use cigar mold and I respect and occasionally use his newspaper technik. But if you go for perfection, cigar mold is nice thing to poses.

The thicker leaves will weigh more. If you want to weigh your tobacco, there is a table in this thread giving approximate weights for different ring gauges and length of cigars. I would imagine it's just an approximation, but it should get you close and you can adjust from there. http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3646-Table-of-Cigar-sizes-by-weight

Thank you Wallace again. You know for every post where it is.

the "flag" segment, used to reinforce the head, is cut so that its vein will align with the axis of the cigar

Bob-
Is this intentional? I assume so, but I think I've seen other videos where this wasn't the case.

Everything what she does she has learned in one of the best schools in the world. Intentional. She must. And there is so many different ways to finish your cigar. In Cuba I only see this one so far.

What I liked best about this video was that is confirmed what I'm doing the right way, and showed me some new ideas. I really like the double binder.

Me to,double binder and always wider leaf on the top. I make one cigar yesterday in my homemade mold. In the end I cut cigar with cutter. I place cigar vertical on table and it stands very proudly. Compact Gordito.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Me to,double binder and always wider leaf on the top.

The double binder might be enough leaf to change the flavor profile of your cigar. To me, a double binder would just be another tool in my blending arsenal. Depending on the strength and variety of the binder, one binder cigars may taste different from two binder cigars or no binder cigars, using the same filler and wrapper. A lot of times, I use a wrapper with no binder. Up until I saw that video, I had only used one binder if I used one. This is something to experiment with and see how much flavor is added from no binder, to one binder, to two binders. (I'm just thinking out loud. They may all taste the same?)

EDIT: Another thought hit me. Could the double binder be part of her blend recipe rather than something she does on every cigar?

quo155

EDIT: Another thought hit me. Could the double binder be part of her blend recipe rather than something she does on every cigar?

I'm the furthest from an expert...but this is what I am thinking as well. I think this plays more into the "recipe" of these particular cigars...but again, I'm no expert! At any rate, interesting thought...

rainmax

Founding Member
Could the double binder be part of her blend recipe rather than something she does on every cigar?

For my understanding is cigar sturdier with double binder and of course it is a part of her blend. If you roll paper in tube you get strait sturdy cylinder and if you just smash it in tube with one binder you get wavy pliable cylinder.

DonH

I've rolled seven cigars since watching that video and they were the best I've rolled so far. Thanks Maks! I am also a proponent of the book method. Since I started doing that I have not had any draw problems and I can roll them as tight as possible resulting in a sturdier cigar. I also really like the double binder method.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The double binder is a traditional Cuban approach to rolling a cigar. Every Cuban cigar I've ever smoked felt like a wooden dowel on the outside (double binder), but drew well (most of them).

Although the binder leaf can contribute to the aroma profile of the blend, many binder varieties are fairly neutral. Besuki as a binder, for example, seems to have no impact on the aroma. On the other hand, CT Broadleaf as a binder always influences the aroma. (Move that CT Broadleaf to the wrapper position, and it also affects the taste.)

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Mysterious package appears in Virginia

One of the flawless cigars rolled by the star of this video somehow arrived at my home--land of the eternal embargo. All talk of contraband aside, this was a damn nice cigar. It was solid and smoothly cylindrical. It lit easily. Burn was perfect, with excellent draw, producing a white, toothy ash. The wrapper seemed more laid-on, rather than stretched-over like a pantyhose. The taste was earthy, its aroma a swirl of dark, musty cigar angels. The strength was medium to full. My trance was broken by singed fingers holding a 1/2" nub.

Thank you, sender of joy.

Bob

Last edited:

quo155

Wow! Congrats Bob!

Also, thank you for the review...it really helps to know that the lady knows what she is doing (though it fully appears she does from the video), as it is very helpful knowing that they not only look good, but were actually constructed well and better yet...smoked well!

rainmax

Founding Member
I like this thread. It also makes me splendid one to behold. Thanks for all responses.
I was enjoying all those cigars from gracious lady. Only two left. But I have unopened box of Partagas 898 which I bought in that store on the video. They are very fresh from November'13 and they will sit for a while.

I'm ready to roll some new cigars in newer future using Cuban method of rolling. I'm out of Volado, which is very important in cigar rolling so hardly waiting new season; instead I will use my perique Burley. I have Nicaraguan Seco, Viso and Ligero from WLT; also some very nice wrappers. Aleman Capa Banda which I didn't even open yet. My own Pennsylvania Red (seeds from johnlee1933). And Burley. Hardly waiting. Any suggestions on blend?

BTW thanks for nice review, Bob.

Gdaddy

I like this thread. It also makes me splendid one to behold. Thanks for all responses.
I was enjoying all those cigars from gracious lady. Only two left. But I have unopened box of Partagas 898 which I bought in that store on the video. They are very fresh from November'13 and they will sit for a while.

I'm ready to roll some new cigars in newer future using Cuban method of rolling. I'm out of Volado, which is very important in cigar rolling so hardly waiting new season; instead I will use my perique Burley. I have Nicaraguan Seco, Viso and Ligero from WLT; also some very nice wrappers. Aleman Capa Banda which I didn't even open yet. My own Pennsylvania Red (seeds from johnlee1933). And Burley. Hardly waiting. Any suggestions on blend?

I'd love to hear what your opinion is on the Aleman capa Banda.

quo155

I'd love to hear what your opinion is on the Aleman capa Banda.

I agree and would like you to review her cigar...as some of us are watching her very closely and trying to replicate what she's doing. I'm learning that our methods affect the smokes themselves, as well...if you don't mind!

ArizonaDave

I just received some Aleman Oscuro to try with Nic. Habano Seo, Piloto Cubano Seco ¾ of a half leaf of liguero, and ¼ of a leaf of Brazillian Mata Fina. I liked the Habana 2000 as a wrapper, I'm hoping the Aleman Oscuro will be just as nice.