Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Rolling Habanos

rainmax

Founding Member
Recently I visited Cuba. I didn't have time for touristic trips but I made interesting video how to roll cigars on Cuban way. I believe it is not so difficult once you're skilled. You will find most important things in one place. We have very good whole leaf tobacco and I have some good results with it. In this video you can see how to prepare and mix tobacco for filler and how to roll it in the binder. Taste and aroma, strength and combustion, and the look. The lady on the video is using tobacco mold and everything looks so easy. It was very important for me how they finish cigar and I have never find good movie which shows the detail. Making cap with flag in the end was question for me for a long time. I think I make great video enough to show you the way. If you find it helpful for you than roll the cigar.

Youtube took this one down for mysterious reasons. Go here for the re-posted video:
http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/rolling-habanos.4197/page-7#post-148080
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

darren1979

First Time Grower
Nicely done Maks, she made it look so easy. I love the video editing and a nice plug for wlt and ftt, Don said the cheques in the post: )

quo155

WoW! Very nice video...easy to follow and understand. You did a great thing there...and will help me tremendously as I begin this journey. Thank you!

Matty

Yup, one of the better rolling videos I've seen. I especially like the fact that several cigars are rolled showing the same steps multiple times instead of only once. Don't think I've ever seen the flag put on separately, seems to me it's always been cut into the wrapper while wrapping the cigar.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That is the finest cigar rolling video ever made. It shows every minute step in the process, and shows them well. Things to observe:
  • the double binder creates a much more solid "feel" to the cigar, without restricting the draw
  • she does not fuss about the edges of the binder (some are turned under)
  • no glue on the binder
  • starting with frog-legged filler, she removes only the thickest of stem segments
  • each filler leaf is slightly crunched as it is added to the bunch in her hand
  • notice how low the case of the filler appears to be
  • the axis of the filler is perfectly aligned with the veins of the binder (and wrapper)
  • the outer edge of the wrapper is trimmed smooth
  • the thickest edges of the wrapper veins are trimmed away
  • the (optional) mold and press transform a well-rolled bunch into a perfectly smooth cylinder
  • beginning with a well bound bunch (especially following pressing in the mold), applying the wrapper requires very little stretch
  • each wrapper leaf half is rolled in opposite directions, with the under side (lighter in color) facing upward while rolling
  • only a tiny amount of glue is used on the wrapper
  • the "flag" segment, used to reinforce the head, is cut so that its vein will align with the axis of the cigar
  • the cap is a cosmetic addition
  • she needs a larger ash tray
  • very gracious lady
Thanks, Maks, for all the effort that went into filming, editing and posting this. It's pure information. No hype. No mysteries.

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Thank you Maks. The video and editing is very impressive.

All of the other rolling techniques are now obsolete. I'll be testing the new (best) way way tomorrow.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Thank you Maks. The video and editing is very impressive.

All of the other rolling techniques are now obsolete. I'll be testing the new (best) way way tomorrow.

Can this be added to the FTT video library so we can find it more easily in the future?

Great job Maks.

rainmax

Founding Member
Thanks to you all guys for reputation and nice words.

tronez.spain
yes I know my spanish worth a million. I did ask some good questions. I admit it was difficult to explain to her because my hands was fully occupied with camera. Esperanto.

daren1979 it is easy. Once you have fermented all the tobacco and in proper case, all the equipment, good will and at least about 100 bad cigars behind. And so on.....I'm getting better and better. I have run out of Volado and good binder.

Matty it was my intention to make it clear. Not to roll backward and FFW to understand what somebody wants to show you. This video is for us FTT and WLT and not for tourists. About cigar flag I did saw other way too but for the beginning this one is more for me. Also you need perfect wrapper for the other one.

deluxestogie The binders appear to have entire stems, which she completely removes, as you say. I always turn both part of the leaf facing each other and remove the stem from behind. Have you noticed that she does it opposite. Or is just her leaf darker down side?

FmGrowit you need to prepare another cigar sampler packets with Volado, Seco, "fuerte", binders and wrappers for beginners. Or better Cigar starter kit.

Gdaddy :"What glue did she use?" At this question I was missing my other hand. So I just say to her quiero un poquito, perfavore. La goma. And after some time she gave me some of this tragacanth or what is it?
It is very nice white powder and the best to work with. Like vaseline.

Knucklehead where is this FTT video library? I was looking for it but no luck.

And yes, very gracious lady. I hope I could visit her next year.

jojjas

Maks ,i tried to avoid be interested in cigars , i dont have time and skill for this , but now i cant resist anymore ,
your video got me hooked , and Don get an order on cigar leafs as soon i can get enough $ in my pocket
What kind of friends i got:mad::eek::D here in this forum , now its your job to tech me
Mikael

quo155

That is the finest cigar rolling video ever made. It shows every minute step in the process, and shows them well. Things to observe:
  • the double binder creates a much more solid "feel" to the cigar, without restricting the draw
  • she does not fuss about the edges of the binder (some are turned under)
  • no glue on the binder
  • starting with frog-legged filler, she removes only the thickest of stem segments
  • each filler leaf is slightly crunched as it is added to the bunch in her hand
  • notice how low the case of the filler appears to be
  • the axis of the filler is perfectly aligned with the veins of the binder (and wrapper)
  • the outer edge of the wrapper is trimmed smooth
  • the thickest edges of the wrapper veins are trimmed away
  • the (optional) mold and press transform a well-rolled bunch into a perfectly smooth cylinder
  • beginning with a well bound bunch (especially following pressing in the mold), applying the wrapper requires very little stretch
  • each wrapper leaf half is rolled in opposite directions, with the under side (lighter in color) facing upward while rolling
  • only a tiny amount of glue is used on the wrapper
  • the "flag" segment, used to reinforce the head, is cut so that its vein will align with the axis of the cigar
  • the cap is a cosmetic addition
  • she needs a larger ash tray
  • very gracious lady
Thanks, Maks, for all the effort that went into filming, editing and posting this. It's pure information. No hype. No mysteries.

Bob

Great...AND helpful observations! I too thought she definitely needed a larger ashtray!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I believe that the most valuable feature of Maks' video is that it demonstrates just how simple the process of rolling a cigar can be. Yes, it requires practice to become proficient--just as every skill requires. But the concepts are genuinely simple. The most challenging requirement is for your fingers to get a sense of what your eyes see happening in the video.

With filler leaf that is dry (but not crumbly), you can roll a cigar as tightly as possible, and still get an excellent draw.

Bob

Gdaddy

It appears to me that she is using two binder leaves and then adds four leaves of filler. 2 seco 1 ligero and 1 volado.
Agreed?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The exact combination of filler stalk positions will depend on what you want, and the tobacco varieties that you have to work with. Also, the total number of filler leaves can determine the ring gauge of your cigar, depending on the length. It certainly wouldn't hurt to begin with her numbers.

Bob

Gdaddy

She also cuts off about 25% of the ends sticking out of the mold and the cut-off goes to waste as short filler. I treasure my tobacco too much to do that. I use a 7" long mold and cut them as long as I can without any soft mushy ends. Most of mine are Toro sized.

The wrapper she uses is large enough to get two wrappers. I get 4 wraps from one full leaf. Toro size. I don't care if the one bottom wrapper has slightly larger veins. It's no big deal and it smokes just fine.