Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

gonna try my luck at making watermelon wine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
does anyone have any experience at making thier own wine,?????

im gonna watch a lot of you-yube... and learn all i can, but someone who's done it may know a trick or some wise advice,

i got the melon plants going,,,, and i may blend some cantaloupe into the mix,

i tried some home-made strawberry wine a few years back, and damn it was good...

im going 4 it,,,,, :cool:

Matty

I used to make lots of different wine.... and beer of course. Been awhile though. A very basic recipe goes something like this:

Juice (could be fruit or vegetable or tea/coffee...)
usually about 1lb sugar per gallon juice
1 teaspoon of yeast is good for up to 5 gals of juice (proper yeast from a brew store but bread yeast will work just not as elegantly)
Yeast nutrient always helps, get it at the brew store
Somtimes water is added, kinda a personal taste.

Dissolve the sugar, nutrient and juice all together. Start the yeast separately, sprinkle on top or just stir it in. Set it in a warm place out of the sun, 70f is a good temp. Leave for a week or two then siphon the brew off the sediment. More sugar can be added to brew more alcohol. Wine can ferment up to about 18% alcohol on it's own. Too much sugar will either slow the fermentation or stop it altogether or leave ya with sweet wine. Takes about 1 year to be ready.

This should give an idea of the process but I'd recommend finding a recipe till ya get a feel for it.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I've made wine from grapes and from strawberries. I made it from watermelon once and it tasted like shit. Go ahead and make some though I'd be curious to know how your turns out.

Matty

The local pub brew a watermelon blueberry beer and to most people, me included, tastes and smells just like Jitterbugdude said "shit". Can almost smell it a mile away lol.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Watermelon wine smells and tastes (somewhat) like cucumber. I think it's better for making vinegar than wine. Cantaloup wine is better (delicious and sweet) but the problem is finding a very aromatic cantaloup. I suspect some fruit wine makers use artificial aromas.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
damn, i didnt know that the idea i was spinning was a brew thats gonna taste and smell like shit,,,lol

i cant mess it up then,,,,:rolleyes:

which means whatever i end up producing, is gonna be just what the recipe call's for,

a drink that smells like shit,, and taste even worse,,:D

i may use a big container to store it in, if it takes a while to get '' right ''

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i'll proablly give it some viking name,,,

a drink made for a real-man...

Knucklehead

Founding Member
You might consider starting with a wine making kit. Google wine making kit. They come with all the stuff supposedly. I bought one for my brother in law who wanted to start making his own. Unfortunately it's still in the box. I have some lazy brothers in law.

Matty

Regardless of what it'll end up smelling and tasting like, give it a try. It might actually turn out good. I've made wine out of things that made horrible wine, I just throw it out because I'd only do 1 gallon batches to try new recipes. I made wine with goldenrod flowers, probably the worst I'd ever made. Tasted like cheap perfume. I made it because I found a recipe but after making it I couldn't figure why anyone would want to :p

winston-smoker

I knew someone who won a gold medal in the annual New Jersey Wine Making Competition with an elderberry-banana wine. It was a semi-sweet wine, and tasted very good. He won silver and bronze medals in other years. His wineberry wine won a silver medal. One of his failures, however, was a pear wine -- it was awful.

Matty,
Have you ever tried making framboise? That stuff, which is made in Quebec, is the "nectar of the gods"!

cotillion

I make a bit of wine and cider from fruit I grow or that friends give me. Gooseberry, concord grape, mulberry, apple, pear, blackberry. The biggest tip I can give you is to make sure that everything you touch and use while making your wine is thoroughly cleaned and sterile. A good internet resource is http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/ . There is tons of information and lots of recipes there.

Matty

Matty,
Have you ever tried making framboise? That stuff, which is made in Quebec, is the "nectar of the gods"!

Nah I never made anyhing too fancy like that, I've tried it though. There are quite a few microbreweries around here. It gets sold everywhere, cornerstores to grocery stores. There are so many kinds of beer, wine and other brew being made around here it's almost impossible to find a favorite lol. My dad used to make really good chokecherry wine and my uncle used to brew some awesome strawberry wine. I keep wanting to start brewing again but I got sooo many hobbies I never get around to it.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
im definatlly going to give it a shot,,,,

i may look into putting me toghter, a distellery down the road,,,

i think they decriminalized moon-shining,??????

but in my area, thier really aint none of that going on. so if my neighbour's seen my contraption,

they'd proablly think i had a souped up PEAUNUT BOILER''..

Status
Not open for further replies.