Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Wanted To Share: A Deal On The Kulu Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.

quo155

I have seen some talk about the Kulu knife here on the forum, for using as a Chaveta Kinfe. Now, I usually like to stick to "old school" and I typically only use old or authentic "stuff" when I dive into a hobby...but for now, and to save some money, I decided to go with the Kulu. I found them as cheap as $17.49 + $4.99 (shipping) on eBay, a current "sale". But, after some more research, i.e.: Bing, I ran across them for $10.95 + $1.95 (shipping) here: http://www.simplygoodstuff.com/kulu_knife.html or, only $10.50/each if you buy two and the shipping is only $2.95. But wait! That's not all! (I sound like an infomercial!) If you use this coupon code: "EMAIL5", you'll get another 5% off your total (pre-shipping) if used by the end of this month!

I just ordered two red ones for a total of $22.90, including shipping and discounts. I figure I'll see how one works for now...and maybe give the other to my wife (for brownie points).

Anyway, if this is something you're interested in buying, I just wanted to share the cost and link. I really hate buying stuff like this from big businesses...but it's probably the only place I'll "cut" for now!

Here's a photo of what I'm talking about if you're curious:
kuhnrikon_kuluknife.png

Mods, please move this to the correct area, if needed! Thanks!

quo155

Thank you Don...and please know that the hand made/imported version (as you illustrated) from that tobacco site...is on my list for the future!

Also, thank you again for sending out my order today...and so quickly!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member

quo155

Now......I'm embarrassed! Bob, you're exactly right!

Man...:mad:

As Don can attest...I am screwing up in all sorts of ways!!!

I just placed an order with WLT this morning...in which it has already shipped out. I knew I should have added one of his to my cart anyway!

Live and learn!!!

EDIT: I'VE CANCELED MY ORDER ON THESE...ORDERING WLT'S AS I SHOULD HAVE AT FIRST! :D

quo155

Today has been a day of "learning"!

I placed an order with WLT this morning, ordering the two cigar samplers. I forgot to add the coupon code for free shipping, my fault! You'd think I'd learned to pay attention!

Nope, ordered these...and I KNEW to get 6"!

So, I just ordered the Chaveta...the real deal...from WLT!

Thanks Don...

Thanks Bob...

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I received my chaveta from Don today with my Prilep order. They seem to be made of some nice steel. (perhaps old hand saw blades) I finished the edge with a couple of diamond stones. They sharpen nicely. The blade will contact the board throughout what I call my rock-n-roll cut. (Starting at one end of the blade and rolling the blade forward to the other end without lifting or sliding the blade) I use this cut to trim the edges of wrapper leaf.

quo155

You know what Knucklehead...that's another good point. I sharpen knives as part of my gunsmithing business...SO, having to possibly sharpen it is not the problem! I was just on a roll today!

Tomorrow...new...day...

ArizonaDave

We would...if needed, but it's not needed.

Good deal on the Kulus. Way better deal than the Imported Hand Made Chavetas from that tobacco site :)

Right now, I've just been using a curved blade skinning knife, but I've been eyeing those Chavetta's, am going have to get one soon! Right now, just more GREAT tobacco from Whole Leaf Tobacco!

quo155

AZ, in the end...I ordered one of these from Don and I absolutely love the feel of it. Mine was already sharp and ready...well worth the little investment, IMHO!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Any old curved knife blade will work, so long as it is sharp.

The key advantages of a chaveta for cigar work:
  • a proper radius of curvature
  • a hand position that requires the minimum effort to get the job done
If you roll one cigar every week or two, the blade makes little difference. If you roll many cigars a day, or multiple cigars at a time, then it makes a world of difference.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.