Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Brooksy and his 2014 bumbling of tobacco growing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
I used float trays last year. If you have a greenhouse you can't beat them. If you're going to try to use them in the house like I did, you're asking for a godawful mess. 1020 trays are great in the house. For the float trays, I had to build 2'x3' square frames out of 1x6's and line it plastic (for each tray, they take up a lot of space). It takes a lot of water inside the frame. When it comes time to move the trays outside and back inside, you get water everywhere. If you pull a tray out for a haircut, you get water everywhere. When the plants can stay outside, it's time to take all those gallons of water back out of the float tray frames. I did this with a bucket and no matter how careful you are, you get water all over the floor. Then you have to have a place to store those frames for the rest of the year. That's why I went with 1020 trays this year. Just add water about every third day, no mess. You can move the insert and tray anywhere you want without spilling water, and you can fit twice as many trays in the same area.

If I had a greenhouse, I would use float trays for sure. But if I use them in the house again, my wife is liable to leave me with only half a house.
I told You, More usefull info. Knucks I will do both now buddy. Brooksy- You are going to do just fine buddy. You will be a pro at the end of the season. PS: EDIT Bumbling- You got it in the hand .

Brooksy

No wilts today! Of course it's been partly cloudy with highs in the upper 70's so I guess that's a big help...The wind is blowing like hell as usuall and we have a big band of rain coming in in a couple hours.
I have this patch where I had a couple chicken grow out pens last year. Lots of shitzen that tilled in well and no weeds. Hopefully the shitzen won't be too hot.:confused:

Brooksy

I have three 1/2 whiskey barrels that we're thinking of putting around the back porch as planters. I say 1 tobacco plant in the center and petunias around the edge. What say yee?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
No wilts today! Of course it's been partly cloudy with highs in the upper 70's so I guess that's a big help...The wind is blowing like hell as usuall and we have a big band of rain coming in in a couple hours.
I have this patch where I had a couple chicken grow out pens last year. Lots of shitzen that tilled in well and no weeds. Hopefully the shitzen won't be too hot.:confused:

You should be fine. The recommendation I heard is not to use chicken manure from the current year.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
I have three 1/2 whiskey barrels that we're thinking of putting around the back porch as planters. I say 1 tobacco plant in the center and petunias around the edge. What say yee?
I think You will enjoy that. I have 9 buckets out front as well. They will make a nice pic. and folks will love to look at them. Great idea.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
A half whiskey barrel is a perfect size for a single, full-size tobacco variety. When the plants are small, it's very tempting to envision several per container, but that will dwarf the plants.

Bob

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
A half whiskey barrel is a perfect size for a single, full-size tobacco variety. When the plants are small, it's very tempting to envision several per container, but that will dwarf the plants.

Bob
Lord can You see them with white mammoth's in them? Only takes one to make a tower. Marigolds will help on the bugs in them.

Brooksy

60* highs and 40* lows. Tobacco still grows. Looks pretty good actually.

Brooksy

FROST last night! Have buckets and baskets over everything. Glad I didn't plant everything out last weekend, would have run out of cover!

DGBAMA

No frost here, but lower 40s was enough to get the fireplace lit this morning.Glad you got them covered.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
I love the fire place, but not at 98 deg. today LOL. Got to start more seed tomorow. Lost to many as of now. Thank God for a long season. Get ready for the forest You started LOL........

Status
Not open for further replies.