Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Piloto, Nic seco, Dominican ligero... Cigar blend review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gdaddy

I received my new tobacco on Friday. Dominican ligero and Piloto viso that I hadn't tried yet. By Friday night I had two cigars out on the table drying in the air conditioning.

Tonight we had steaks on the barbecue, corn on the cob, fresh sliced tomatoes and a nice Cabernet wine. A perfect meal to be accompanied by a cigar. Having sat out for 2 days the cigar felt dry so I couldn't wait to try it.

The blend...Two Nic seco leaves for binder then an equal blend of Piloto Cubano viso, Dominican ligero and Nicaraguan seco. With a Criollo 98 wrapper.

I'll admit I am a nicotine baby so I was nervous about that much viso and ligero together in one cigar. First light had a touch of bitter which I very much dislike and immediately began to worry. Within half an inch the bitter was gone and replaced with a pleasant sweetness. It was burning perfectly and had lots of smoke output. This thing was improving by the minute. Amazing flavors and I really enjoyed the slight back ground sweetness. Due to the amount of smoke I could take it nice and slow and still leery of the nicotine to creep up on me but it never did. Ended up taking it to the nub. I sat there in disbelief. Did this just happen? Was that cigar that amazingly good or was there a synergy with the meal prior? Perhaps.

This wasn't a good cigar it was a great cigar! However, before going too wild I need to smoke a few more to confirm that this was in fact that good. The nicotine was never an issue at all. Letting the others rest in the humidor for a week or two and really looking forward to having another. Meanwhile I think I'll roll a few more of these.

Man this is fun!

MarcL

Wow! This sounded so nice I had to Text to Speech it twice.
This is why I do this. It's so gratifying to do it yourself. Well done Don!

Gdaddy

Very good, Don. & you've convinced me to join this forum :)

Good to see you! Great place to share info. This forum is owned by another guy named Don at Whole leaf Tobacco. Two Dons in one forum imagine that!

El Gallo

I'm in too, but I'm not a Don. Try out this blend :

Dominican binder 1 or two halves
2 Dominican seco leaves
2 criollo 98 viso leaves
1 Dominican ligero leaf
Ecuadorian Maduro wrapper

its a full body stogie but is really nice! I would definately eat dinner before lighting up though.

ArizonaDave

There's more Don's in here, almost as much as the Cigar boom in the 90's. (Lots of cigars were named Don this and Don that).

What a great group of people here!

I second Don's recipe , but instead of Piloto Cubano Viso, I use the Seco. I might have to grab the viso soon. I also add 2 ¼ strips of Brazilian Mata Fina, but Don's viso is probably similar. Let's keep this up! Sharing great stooge recipes!

Dominican56

It's an old thread, but I am wondering if you made more of this blend and how did it age, turn out?

I received my new tobacco on Friday. Dominican ligero and Piloto viso that I hadn't tried yet. By Friday night I had two cigars out on the table drying in the air conditioning.

Tonight we had steaks on the barbecue, corn on the cob, fresh sliced tomatoes and a nice Cabernet wine. A perfect meal to be accompanied by a cigar. Having sat out for 2 days the cigar felt dry so I couldn't wait to try it.

The blend...Two Nic seco leaves for binder then an equal blend of Piloto Cubano viso, Dominican ligero and Nicaraguan seco. With a Criollo 98 wrapper.

I'll admit I am a nicotine baby so I was nervous about that much viso and ligero together in one cigar. First light had a touch of bitter which I very much dislike and immediately began to worry. Within half an inch the bitter was gone and replaced with a pleasant sweetness. It was burning perfectly and had lots of smoke output. This thing was improving by the minute. Amazing flavors and I really enjoyed the slight back ground sweetness. Due to the amount of smoke I could take it nice and slow and still leery of the nicotine to creep up on me but it never did. Ended up taking it to the nub. I sat there in disbelief. Did this just happen? Was that cigar that amazingly good or was there a synergy with the meal prior? Perhaps.

This wasn't a good cigar it was a great cigar! However, before going too wild I need to smoke a few more to confirm that this was in fact that good. The nicotine was never an issue at all. Letting the others rest in the humidor for a week or two and really looking forward to having another. Meanwhile I think I'll roll a few more of these.

Man this is fun!

ArizonaDave

It's an old thread, but I am wondering if you made more of this blend and how did it age, turn out?

Well, WLT still carries all of these. I may be mistaken, but the Nic. seco might be temporairly out, but the Honduran viso is smooth, and could be used in place. Truth is, ALL WLT tobacco blends well. That particular blend is good. You can replace the Criollo wrapper with anything, and put another Criollo leaf in the blend, it's up to you. The Dom. Liiguero is 4+ years aged (as all WLT tobaccos), so NO cat urine smell like you find in cuban knockoffs. (The urine smell must be caused by under mature leaves) NO WLT leaves have that smell.

I could contact Gdaddy if you'd like to hear from him? He's the one who got me rolling 3 months after he started.

Dominican56

Well, WLT still carries all of these. I may be mistaken, but the Nic. seco might be temporairly out, but the Honduran viso is smooth, and could be used in place. Truth is, ALL WLT tobacco blends well. That particular blend is good. You can replace the Criollo wrapper with anything, and put another Criollo leaf in the blend, it's up to you. The Dom. Liiguero is 4+ years aged (as all WLT tobaccos), so NO cat urine smell like you find in cuban knockoffs. (The urine smell must be caused by under mature leaves) NO WLT leaves have that smell.

I could contact Gdaddy if you'd like to hear from him? He's the one who got me rolling 3 months after he started.

Last night I rolled 12 of a very similar blend. I mixed up the ligero a bit tho. I sprayed some Nic ligero with a little mojo to calm it down. I used 1/4 Dom ligero, a bit of criollo ligero(maybe 1/4), and a half leaf of the Nic ligero along with a leaf to half leaf (depending on it's size) I have some Dom binder from an order earlier this year I bound with.

I'm not sure what to wrap with just yet. I'll figure that out tonight. Maybe oscuro wrapper.

Status
Not open for further replies.