Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Colds and flue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Brand

Has anybody got any traditional treatments/ medicine,s for the prevention of colds and flues. Maddog suggested brandy and ginger. I took my brandy with Cola, that helped for the evening :p. Maybe the amount was a bit to much. Seriously is there good remedies for colds and flue. Feeling quite lousy at the moment, and the older we get the more it nails us. ( not that I'm that old):cool:

holyRYO

For prevention of colds, Zinc. You need to start at first sign, any sneeze, cough, or itch in your throat. Seems to reduce the severity/recovery time, at least, if started a little late. I buy cheap Zinc vitamins and suck on them. Get well soon.

Edited: a good sign for me to start, is whenever my cigarettes start tasting off, usually a cold follows.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Well I am no doctor by any means, But what I do during the day is take an Alka-Selzer COLD tabs in the morn. During the time I feel bad I take one Elderberry tab, 1 Zinc tab, 1- Ginseng tab and 1 Niacin tab- Kicks it out fast. You can get em cheap at wallgreens, The zinc blocks the virus. And the niacin cleans the blood and liver (makes You fell flush).

Gdaddy

I pour Hydrogen peroxide in both my ears at the onset of a cold. Do each side and let it bubble in there then drain it out.

Matty

Nothing beats a lot of rest to get rid of a cold. Stay as still as possible for most of the day but get up and move, do some activity, for 1-2 hours to "get the blood moving". Stay hydrated but try not to consume too much sugar. Stay away from alcohol and sugar as they will knock down the immune system. Zinc is very popular for treatment and elderberry has been said to eliminate a cold. As for preventing a cold I can attest to the power of garlic for that. For garlic, it should not be cooked too long or it will lose some effect. It should also be eaten every day at least 2 cloves worth. I used to eat a lot of garlic, up to 1 whole head a day. Ya start to smell after awhile but I never ever got sick while on a diet high in garlic. I made it through a whole winter where everyone was getting sick with cold and flu. It was years ago when I was taking a few courses in school. Seemed at one point everyone in my class would be sneezing, coughing and sniffling, blowing their nose. I never even came close to getting sick that year. Above all, wash your hands and don't touch yer face to avoid getting infected. I think everyone has their own remedy but this works for me, my 2 cents.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
The best preventive for the flu is to take the antioxidant BHT. It works by stripping the lipid coat off of any lipid coated virus. I gave some to a friend last year that was diagnosed with Shingles on a Thursday. She was covered with sores and itching like a man on a fuzzy tree. She started taking BHT on Friday and called me on Saturday and said she was all cured and wanted to know if she could stop. Not bad considering modern medicine will tell you that Shingles last at least 1 month and that you will be in excrutiating pain. I have friends that had herpes (on their lips) all their lives and completely cured it with BHT. The literature is full of bad things about it. It is supossed to casue all kinds of cancer and liver issues. If you read the medical literature you will find that BHT, taken at 500mg to 1 gram per day has absolutely no bad side effects. The studies showing bad effects use doses like 20 to 80 grams per day. In a similar vein drinking 2 glasses of read wine is supossed to be healthy yet if you drink 20 glasses per day you are going to rot your liver. It's all about the dose.

BTW, BHT works on all lipid coated viruses. Anything with an "H" in it such as H1N7 etc. This means it will work against Bird Flue, West Nile Virus, Equine Virus, Hepres, Shingles etc. The best benefit of all though is that it increases mean life span. Oh, it only costs something like $10.00-$15.00 per year. This information is considered annecdodal becasue it is just me saying it. Get on PubMed and type "BHT" to see for yourselfs. Maybe a better search would be "BHT and lipid coated viruses" Keep in mind when reading the research to look at what dose they are using. Any of the papers shoing ill effects will have used massive doses.

One more thing, the Candadian Government ( I think their version of the U.S.'s FDA) conducted a thorough study of BHT (it's a 26 page document) and their conclusion was that there was no observed negative affects whatsoever when taken at about 1 g per day.

Once you get the flu there is nothing you can really do. Zinc only works on rhino viruses. Vitamin C at several grams per pay will not help get rid of the flu but it will help to prevent secondary infections from forming.

Monolaurin, derived from either coconut oil of Olive Leaf Extract is also supossed to work against viruses but I have not done a lot of reseach on to that to confirm it.

Brooksy

I had the worst flu ever last winter, lost three weeks of work, thought I was going to die. Waited too long to go to the Doc. When I got there I had a bacterial lung infection. I was a real mess, don't go too long to see the Doc if the flu gets bad. Only time in my life I saw the Doc for something like this. even had my neighbor drive me in to the Doc I was so bad, didn't think I'd make it otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.