Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cigar Cutters For Rolling Your Own Cigars

Status
Not open for further replies.

quo155

I am continuously looking for a great deal on a few cigar rolling pieces of equipment. One in particular is the cigar cutter.

It appears that most traditional hand rollers use the "tuck cutter". Is this really the case?

Are there other types of cutters out there that perform better? (For those of us with the intentions of rolling our own cigar, possibly placing them in a mold and then using a chaveta to trim off the excess.)

I see all sorts of large table top cutters that seem to be made for cutting the stick during the rolling process. However, I rarely find a tuck cutter that is a "great deal" as the prices range anywhere from $15 - $250...but they are all the same, or are they?

So, what do you use and why?

Please feel free to add photos and/or links to types of cutters.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I just use my chaveta but I roll ugly cigars. A tuck cutter was used in production rolling so each cigar was uniform in length and would all perfectly fit the cigar box they were going in for sale. Most home rollers won't need one. Personally, I just cut my cigar at the first place I come to that is firm to the touch, that becomes the end of the cigar. Less waste involved now, fewer short filler cigars later.

You can roll a few cigars on a firm stack of newspapers with nothing but a chaveta. This will give you a feel for the size board you need for your personal rolling style and needs. Don't be scared - roll some cigars. ;)

Gdaddy

I use plain old pair of sharp scissors to cut the binder roll before going in the mold. Fast, easy and a clean cut. Since I don't need to measure the length I don't need to spend money on production tools. Rather spend it on tobacco.

Bruck

... Personally, I just cut my cigar at the first place I come to that is firm to the touch, that becomes the end of the cigar. Less waste involved now, fewer short filler cigars later.

Ditto - my stick lengths are all over the place but my customers (myself & recipients of freebies) don't complain.

quo155

Many thanks to all of the replies thus far!

Keep 'em coming!

Also, if anyone has a tuck cutter that you no longer want and/or would like to part with, please PM me. I am NOT looking for anything for free, I will pay a fair price that we can both agree on...FYI! Who knows...maybe one of you have a huge stash of them and could part with one!

quo155

MarcL, thank you sir! I've seen the two that you've posted...good looking cutters. I'm actually one of the "Watchers" on both of these. However, I missed one I was watching last week and it sold for $39.99, same model but in far better shape than these. But again, thank you...as you never know, I may have missed these...or others!

The "look" is still on!

MarcL

MarcL, .... I missed one I was watching last week and it sold for $39.99, same model but in far better shape than these. ...

Absolutely! Very nice. good price too ... I like these stands.
and thanks for the bump.. I keep an eye out.

Screen shot 2014-04-30 at 5.50.20 PM.png

MarcL

Bob posted about one of these double bladed cigar cutters recently. He made a modification so it won't pinch your finger. I think he was quite pleased with it.

the only thing about this one is that it's an 80 ring gauge. a first. I think there pretty new. maybe I should put it over there too?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
From a standpoint of the physics of a double guillotine cutter, the closer the radius of curvature is to that of the cigar--that is, the more closely the curve of the blades match the curve of the cigar surface--the less likely is the cutting force to deform the cigar. The closer they match, the lower the risk of splitting the cigar wrapper at the "corners" of the cut.

The advantage of a huge ring-gauge cutter is that it will fit even a monster cigar. But using a chaveta to cut the tuck also has that advantage. Since the goal of a tuck cutter is to cut the foot of the cigar without damage to the wrapper, I'm inclined to prefer minimal damage over convenience. But that's just me. I've used my kulu to cut the tuck of countless cigars. The 60 ring double guillotine definitely makes a cleaner cut than the convex kulu blade. Maybe I wouldn't notice the difference with an 80 ring guillotine.

Bob

quo155

When I first saw your post...I laughed as I thought to myself...that is NOT what I am looking for (LOL)...until I read on...

Now that is quiet the read, interesting...and I had missed this thread altogether, somehow! It gives me something else to consider and ponder...and it's (the link and info) exactly what I wanted in this thread...other cutters that can be used as a tuck cutter. All of this info gathered here in one place...Thank you!

From a standpoint of the physics of a double guillotine cutter, the closer the radius of curvature is to that of the cigar--that is, the more closely the curve of the blades match the curve of the cigar surface--the less likely is the cutting force to deform the cigar. The closer they match, the lower the risk of splitting the cigar wrapper at the "corners" of the cut.

The advantage of a huge ring-gauge cutter is that it will fit even a monster cigar. But using a chaveta to cut the tuck also has that advantage. Since the goal of a tuck cutter is to cut the foot of the cigar without damage to the wrapper, I'm inclined to prefer minimal damage over convenience. But that's just me. I've used my kulu to cut the tuck of countless cigars. The 60 ring double guillotine definitely makes a cleaner cut than the convex kulu blade. Maybe I wouldn't notice the difference with an 80 ring guillotine.

Bob

More interesting information. I often wondered why the "real" tuck cutter was so "important" and had been used. Your info/explanation is very helpful as well! Thanks!

Absolutely! Very nice. good price too ... I like these stands.
and thanks for the bump.. I keep an eye out.

View attachment 10283

Yep, that's the one...the buy it now price was even fair, I think it was around $50! But, I help out to see if it got a bid and then I missed the end of the auction...oh well, maybe it was not "the one"! LOL

I also really liked this stand, at least the look of it...but again, I missed it...my fault!

Thank YOU ALL for your help in this...as I continue to search...and learn! Thanks!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Your goal of having specific information in one place is laudable. We've tried. But guiding a forum is an exercise in herding cats. The forum flows most smoothly (most members are happiest) when it is allowed to take its own spontaneous course.

The search function is most specific if you click the search button with no keyword. You are then taken to the advanced search, where a keyword can be searched in just thread titles, or by a specific author, or in a number of useful ways.

We also maintain a "Key Threads" list in: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3868-Key-threads-in-the-FTT-forum

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.