Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Whole Leaf Cigar Blends

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Is there any interest in measured blends in a kit type packaging similar to the Whole Leaf Cigarette blends.? My thought is to include all the fillers, binder and wrapper in a single package to produce 30 - 40 cigars of a specific blend.

Feel free to submit your blend in this thread and I'll try to work out the formulas. Be sure to include the types of tobacco available from WLT including the binder and type of wrapper. Also include a brief description in a review like format and a name for your blend.

I'll select 4 or 5 of the more distinct blends and send the originator of that blend a kit. Enter as many legitimate blends as you like, but I can only send you one kit, so make your entry the best it can be.

The only rule is you're not allowed to submit a blend already posted on the site unless you're the one who posted it. All disputes over the origin of a blend will be reviewed by the mods to determine the originator of the blend. A blend will not be considered unique simply be changing one or two ingredients. A blend with a different wrapper or binder (or both) will be considered "options" to a blend and may be included in the kit.

Brainstorming session now open.

El Gallo

That's an interesting idea, I love the fun of blending and trying to figure out what to change from blend to blend to get that just right smoke. I will take a shot at this. will send you my submission later today.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I'm not worried about keeping these blends confidential since there is no other place to get most of the tobaccos listed on WLT. Open discussion will also help me understand what to keep in stock, what to drop and perhaps what additions need to be made to the line-up.

El Gallo

I'm not worried about that at all, I love sharing the blends I have just to see if my recipe is favored by those that taste it.

Gdaddy

Since you asked for suggestions... here goes...

Part of the fun of this is formulating and blending our own blends. There are tobaccos that look very interesting and I'd like to try but am afraid to get them for fear of getting stuck with a pound of tobacco I don't like.

If smaller samples were available I would be more willing to try them. If I like them then I'd buy them but without being able to try them first I pass it by and it remains on your shelf. This way we could have the freedom to explore and put together our own sample packs. If YOU put together the sample blend then there will for sure be one component that I don't like and won't order it.

Giving us the freedom to select our own samples would really expand the possibilities. It would also take some of the fear out for a new roller to get started since he or she has no idea what to get and some feel several pound bags (wrapper, binder, filler) is too big of a commitment.

Perhaps also there could be categories of tobacco from which to chose to help a person decide. Strong, medium and mild. All cigars in the industry are rated in this manner so why not the tobacco? This would be very helpful for beginners as well as others. One who likes strong cigars could chose samples from that category and feeling confident that they are selecting the right tobacco for them. Again this helps removes the fear factor and expands the blending possibilities.

Thoughts to ponder.

Gdaddy

One other point. I've heard you say you want people to buy more not less. Selling tiny one samples is not worth it.

Perhaps give them the freedom to select their own sample pack for the different categories but make it a 3 or 4 sample minimum. let's say you offered 1/4 lb. samples they would be required to buy 4 sample packs equaling one pound. Or... 1/2 lb. samples but required to buy minimum two samples.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
The logistics of having everything in "samples" is a problem. Packaging time is nearly the same to do 1 lb. as it is to do 1/2 lb. and samples wouldn't be much less time than packaging 1/4 lb. Space is another issue. Adding an additional product line for every existing product would be confusing for the order fillers.

I don't think I'll be able to do less than 1/2 lb bags and still cover costs. Maybe just making more samplers is the solution.

webmost

When does this brainstorming session conclude? Is there a date beyond which submissions will not be accepted?

quo155

Well...I have no "blends" to share as I have yet to roll but I love this idea and am marking this thread to follow!

Side Note: Don, you continue to impress me as a business owner...I believe all of these ideas you take on (and open for discussion), owning/running this forum, etc. are all aspects (as well as your mission, method of business, fairness, quality product.......) that contribute to the success of your business. I commend you! Thank you for seeming to always take the time to listen to the customer...

Now, I believe this will be fun to watch it unfold...

Matty

Why not put a few basic blending recipes with short descriptions on the WLT page? That way potential clients could buy what they need using the existing store layout.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
When does this brainstorming session conclude? Is there a date beyond which submissions will not be accepted?

No deadline for opinions, criticisms, comments or suggestions. Hell, if someone wants to dig up this thread in 3 years to comment, I'll listen.

Thank you for seeming to always take the time to listen to the customer...

Now, I believe this will be fun to watch it unfold...

Understanding what people want is key to making them happy.

Why not put a few basic blending recipes with short descriptions on the WLT page? That way potential clients could buy what they need using the existing store layout.
Yep, that's the exact intent of this thread...learning what to put on the WLT site.

ArizonaDave

The logistics of having everything in "samples" is a problem. Packaging time is nearly the same to do 1 lb. as it is to do 1/2 lb. and samples wouldn't be much less time than packaging 1/4 lb. Space is another issue. Adding an additional product line for every existing product would be confusing for the order fillers.

I don't think I'll be able to do less than 1/2 lb bags and still cover costs. Maybe just making more samplers is the solution.

½ Pound bags sounds great, and in samplers. BTW, I wouldn't buy anywhere else! Gdaddy makes some points that I'd like to see in a sampler or samplers like "Strong, medium, mild". I do like his idea about 3 or 4 half pound samples in a pack. OR, like this: 1 pound Nic. Habano seco, 1 pound Piloto Cubano, ½ pound Dominican Liguero, ½ pound Brazilian Mata Fina (Great blend btw, Gdaddy and I have both tried this blend).

Very impressed as to how you listen to your customers!

Matty

Here's a recent blend I really enjoyed. Simple too.

Filler:
1/3 Flojo viso
2/3 Dominican seco

Binder:
1 half leaf Dominican seco

Wrapper:
Equador shade

Rolled it to about 50x7". This is a medium body cigar with nice aroma.
Step it up a notch with a ligero binder or go even further with a maduro wrapper.

El Gallo

Here's a blend I came up with that is medium to full body: has plenty of pepper note when exhaled through the nose and yet real nice and smooth :

Dominican binder two 1/2 leaves
Nicaraguan seco 2 leaves
Criollo 99 Viso 2 leaves
Dominican ligero 1/2 leaf
Ecuadorian maduro wrapper leaf

this recipe makes a robusto about 52 ring gauge stogie

This is a pretty strong stogie but not overwhelming even my wife likes this one! Let me know what you think, enjoy!

El Gallo

is there more info , is this a book? I love stuff like this to read.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruck

My fave so far:

1/4 Dom. Ligero
1/4 Flojo Viso
1/2 Nicaraguan seco
Binder: Aleman
Wrapper: Ecuador maduro
Vitola: 50 rg robusto.
Resulting smoke: sweet, dark, smooth, medium vitamin N

Bruck

& yes, I think this is a great idea if you can swing it logistically. Another twist might be to just sell 1/4# samples of a range of products.

MarcL

is there more info , is this a book? I love stuff like this to read.

Not yet but, I would like to get hold of it very much. Where I got this was from a guy who is very particular about his work being used. so ya know .... I stole a screen shot from here at about 20:49.
Let me PM you the info... I don't want to get caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.