Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Does anyone have any info on Karabagler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skychaser

Does anyone have any info on Karabagler? Or more specifically a Rustica called Karabagler that originated from Turkey?

JessicaNicot

so apparently the one you were looking for when you made your request was PI 494158 (http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/acc/display.pl?1389094). I honestly don't know why or how this rustica got into the mix but it appears that it is what came mislabeled/misidentified from turkey. PI 481867 wasn't the only mixup in that batch that appears to have originated from ege university (http://sun.ars-grin.gov:8080/npgs_public/prodweb.pdf0?in_vol=191&in_suffix=&in_page=623). Maras (PI 481861) also was listed as N tabacum but turned out to be rustica.

skychaser

Yes, PI 494158 was probably the one I was after. I will call what I have a Rustica from the Karabagler region for now until we can pin down an actual name for it.
Did you have any luck opening that PDF file link I sent you? I will see if Yuri can copy and translate it and send it to me in an e-mail.

AmaxB

Why that's just insanity, no wonder they call ya Mr. T-wonerful. But I do believe your thinking of Tootsie. Kara was in the band and Home Queen, Tootsie was just plain fun.

Eisenspane

There is two "Karabaglar" in Turkey:
PI 494158 - N.Tabacum, also called "Karabağlar 6265" or "İzmir 6265"
PI 481867 - N.Rustica

Karabagler - is seems like a bad transliteration.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Jessica is the Observation for PI:481867 correct??
I beginning to think... The flowers PINK?

Eisenspane

Hey, Eisenspane. We haven't seen you for a while. I suspect that spelling is at fault.

Bob
I often read but rarely write. Sorry
pardon.gif

JessicaNicot

Jessica is the Observation for PI:481867 correct??
I beginning to think... The flowers PINK?

it's not correct. there was a seed mixup somewhere in the past and tobacco seed was put in the old TI vial that had originally held PI 481867 (which should have been empty). I put this seed to the side in the "unknown" pile but I haven't yet decided what to do with it.

it is remotely possible that someone put the Izmir/Karabaglar tobacco into the vial by mistake. do I hear any volunteers for a side by side grow out of the unknown seedlot and Izmir/Karabaglar 6265?

JessicaNicot

There is two "Karabaglar" in Turkey:
PI 494158 - N.Tabacum, also called "Karabağlar 6265" or "İzmir 6265"
PI 481867 - N.Rustica

Karabagler - is seems like a bad transliteration.

sheez. im starting to think I need you to go over my whole inventory list so you can point out all of the errors...

istanbulin

Founding Member
it's not correct. there was a seed mixup somewhere in the past and tobacco seed was put in the old TI vial that had originally held PI 481867 (which should have been empty). I put this seed to the side in the "unknown" pile but I haven't yet decided what to do with it.

it is remotely possible that someone put the Izmir/Karabaglar tobacco into the vial by mistake. do I hear any volunteers for a side by side grow out of the unknown seedlot and Izmir/Karabaglar 6265?

Which one is the "unknown" ? The rustica or the tabacum ?

This year I grew PI 494158. I knew Karabağlar was very susceptible to powdery mildew and so the result didn't surprise me at all. All of PI 494158 plants were infected and half of their leaves were affected seriously.

Eisenspane

Glad to see you on here! Do you anything about the Tobacco called "Red Russian" here?: http://nwtseeds.com/Red Russian.htm
Thanks, ArizonaDave!) Unfortunately, I do not have any other special information than is FTT. I have only a review of Yuri (polygon55), who grew it:
"This is a short variety, but pretty fruitful. And very beautiful - dark green leafs and on this background dark red, almost crimson, large flowers. It has 14-16 leaves measuring 30x20 cm (middle tier). Leaf is quite dense to the touch. Taste a bit primitive, but I tried the fresh drying leaf. The rest leaves on aging, so no yet the final verdict by taste." (posted 13.06.2014)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member

Send them to me when the group request is sent. (Be sure to separate them with some labeling, so I'll remember what they are for.)

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.