Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Bamboo Stakes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Thumb

Anyone ever use them for Baccy, I Just got 1000 of them 3/8 by 4 Ft and wonder if they are strong enough. I get a lot of blow downs every yr. It gets windy in my area.
BT

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Yes I do. They work great and last for years. They will hold the pants up great and are easy to store. I will be using them to hang My tobcco this year as well. You will really like them. I do. Got to get them set about a ft. down and they will hold. I also take mason string and weave in and out of the plants and back with slack in it and that works good as well.Less work. Lime green is very visable as well as the flouresent red.

quo155

Great idea as the back of my property are thousands of bamboo stalks...and I'm always trying to think of ideas to use it as it grows like crazy! I never consider using it to support plants or hanging leaves.

I now need to look more into the pipe stem part...

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Thanx for reminding me, What kind of corn was that you grow for the Big Cob?
I planted Oaxaca Green dent corn. The cobs were not as fat as I had hoped, but did provide some adequately thick pipe blanks. I believe that removing all but one ear per stalk might allow them to grow more.

Bob

Brown Thumb

Thanx, Bob Did you roast or eat any of It? If so how was it.
I always grab some yellow dent from the farmers field in my back yard. It tastes good and is not tough as long as you get it early in the milk stage.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I allowed all of the ears to fully mature, since I was aiming for large cobs. Traditionally, Oaxaca Green dent corn is dried, ground, and used to make naturally green tortillas. It looked pretty intimidating, when mature.

Bloody Butcher also makes a large cob. The kernels are blood red. Supposedly, the stalks reach 8-10'. The year I grew it was a drought. Even though I watered the patch, the stalks barely made 5', and the few ears that I harvested were puny little things.

Bob

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
ive used them in the past, and they performed perfect. i mean you can damn near bend bamboo in half before it thinks about breaking,

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
I think WallMart, BigLots and a few more stores are getting to know the baccy folks. I went for more bamboo sticks, and they said A guy from TX. Got the last of them for Tobacco. I went for 40 and got none LOL (Texas baccy folks anyway)

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
That's bad news. Pretty soon the FDA will restrict their sale because it is now eveident that bamboo sticks are a gateway enabling device for smoking....:rolleyes:

Brown Thumb

I think WallMart, BigLots and a few more stores are getting to know the baccy folks. I went for more bamboo sticks, and they said A guy from TX. Got the last of them for Tobacco. I went for 40 and got none LOL (Texas baccy folks anyway)
Here you go Mad, Help yourself at the rate I am going I won't be needing them all.image.jpg

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Now that is a nice group of bamboo. Thanks for the offer. I just got some at cost. They last for years. Looks like if We ask a few buddies, We can go fishing with them untill they get used. I paid 20.00 for 50 at 4' long.

Brown Thumb

Installing these is a royal PITA. Last week when I put 250 in I did not wear gloves and got nasty blisters all over my fingers from pushing them in. My ground is hard under the tilled dirt.
The bending over part hurts my back also, due to you have to push them in at grounds level there too flimsy.
So Im sitting on the hopper this morning in the garage and eyed up a piece of 3/4 in. Copper tubing. I cut here down to 3ft. 6 inches. And grabbed my 2 pound hammer due to the big face and put the bamboo in the pipe and gently tapped it into the ground. Works great and no bending over either.

ArizonaDave

Installing these is a royal PITA. Last week when I put 250 in I did not wear gloves and got nasty blisters all over my fingers from pushing them in. My ground is hard under the tilled dirt.
The bending over part hurts my back also, due to you have to push them in at grounds level there too flimsy.
So Im sitting on the hopper this morning in the garage and eyed up a piece of 3/4 in. Copper tubing. I cut here down to 3ft. 6 inches. And grabbed my 2 pound hammer due to the big face and put the bamboo in the pipe and gently tapped it into the ground. Works great and no bending over either.

I have a 5 lb. hand sledge that works great, and a 3 ft. piece of thick rebar to open the hole up. Looks like you found a good method.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i mainlly try to use SURVEY STAKES......they are free, all you got to do is make sure the job is over. for the purpose they were placed, on the side of the road.

stop and pick them up. i also use them to run string around in all directions to make me a TOMATOE cage...

Brown Thumb

I would end up in handcuffs even if they were thrown in the trash.

Brown Thumb

Bamboo tomato cages. We have a storm coming and my wife was complaining I never put cages on the tomato plants.
Too big for the cages now and and the old ones we have suck anyway.
It took about 5 min a plant I put in the bamboo and she wired around it with old Aluminum electric fence wire.
Cheap considering what they get for a cage.
image.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Good idea. I'm 8 cages shy. It's hard to justify the cost of those flimsy things they sell for cages now. Heavy, box fence makes good cages, if you happen to have some of it.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.