Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Urine fertilizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jpcouling

I know this may offend some people but this is an interesting topic. Urine has an NPK of 10:1:4. Pretty damn good for something you create all by yourself. Fresh urine is intended for dilution and I assume with tobacco it may be even more important to dilute due to the urea content, which is how much of the nitrogen in urine is formed if I am correct. Has anyone else looked in to this?

I know this may be in bad taste to some but as far as I am aware I am not breaking laws, so I would like to see some conversation if possible. Some may say they would never do it, others have probably done it out of urgency! I've done a search and I've seen no other posts about fertilizing with urine, I hope this page stays up but I know it may cause too much of a stink (please feel free to use lots of puns)

cotillion

That's interesting stuff but I don't think I'd try it myself unless I was in the middle of nowhere and totally off the grid. My main concern would be with storage although I suppose with no neigbours you could fertilize on a plant-by-plant basis whenever the need to urinate arises. I mostly take my tobacco through nasal snuff so another concern would be an entire year's harvest taking on a pee smell! Not sure if that could happen but that would make me shy away from it.

Jpcouling

Haha right I know it seems funny, taking a toke on a cigarette and getting a strange whiff of something in there. I personally am very interested in pursuing it to some degree, it is essentially the same mechanism as why we use manure, or why I use fish in the aquaponics system. The fish excrete nitrogen waste in the form of ammonia which rapidly breaks down in to nitrogen!

squeezyjohn

I've always grown my leeks and onions by peeing in a watering can and then filling it up from a water butt. It's not a joke - urine is a free and nutrient rich fertiliser and diluted as a liquid feed gives some brilliant results.

Jpcouling

Big ups to squeezyjohn for sharing! So much energy is spent in diverting human wastes which could very well be put to good use in some form. I know the word "sh*t" has come to mean something useless but that truly may be the complete opposite when growing vegetables, tobacco, etc!

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Got your pm. There is nothing wrong with using urine, I don't just because it is a pain the the ass to live like a third world country when fertilizer is so easy to use.

So what those Chinese people did was pee in the container. Mix it with water 10:1 is what is recommended, water to pee.

If your not on weird meds and don't have a uti it's fine and sterile. And if it's going to be smoked by anyone but yourself there should be a disclaimer cause some people will get weirded out by it.

Jpcouling

Thanks smokes! No meds or uti for me! I agree, there should be a disclaimer. I'm thinking I will do select plants with strictly urine and others with more standard practices. I do worry about the urea content, seems unavoidable. I have read the plants grow more tolerant as they grow? And perhaps dilution will help a lot too

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
I heard somewhere that peein on a lemon tree makes the lemons grow lemon-ier (?)
Yes -the fastest INDIAN was on TV as well But that did not build the bike. Just a place to pee. poor limon tree...
Some folks drink it as well.. Hum? Do Dogs pee on plants and You eat it? Not Me. let alone smoke it.Hum ..don't get up set just a thought for You to digest. Don't pee on a cop car! I'v got to drink a beer and think where to fert the neighbors baccy LOL (empty cans)

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Yeah I looked into it and thought it was interesting. But the reality is that trying to save your pee and get enough to do a patch means you're storing it or remembering which plants need it next etc. Mainly it's just very inconvenient.

Great to try it out and experiment and know it is possible but with easy access to cheap fertilizer it's not something I'd do personally.

And no you're not going to taste it same as you can't taste rabbit or cow shit.

POGreen

I use urine in my baccapatch , been savin' since Aug. last year and hope it will make my leafs go bigger since there's a lot of nitrogen in it.
From what I've read this is the best fertelizer overall , second is grass , third chickenmanure four cowmanure and fifthplace horsechit.
Another fertelizer one can use in ons's baccapatch is Calcium Nitrate , if you wanna have a real Nitrogenbomb , used it myself last and couldn't belive how much it did to the plants.
After watering all the plants one afternoon ( having Cacium Nitrate in the water ) I came back the next day and saw that all the leaves were poiting right up in the sky.
Chit , what has happened was my thought and I was gaspin for air since I was sooo surprised.

Jpcouling

Yes -the fastest INDIAN was on TV as well But that did not build the bike. Just a place to pee. poor limon tree...
Some folks drink it as well.. Hum? Do Dogs pee on plants and You eat it? Not Me. let alone smoke it.Hum ..don't get up set just a thought for You to digest. Don't pee on a cop car! I'v got to drink a beer and think where to fert the neighbors baccy LOL (empty cans)

Wow that is some poetry!

Jpcouling

I use urine in my baccapatch , been savin' since Aug. last year and hope it will make my leafs go bigger since there's a lot of nitrogen in it.
From what I've read this is the best fertelizer overall , second is grass , third chickenmanure four cowmanure and fifthplace horsechit.
Another fertelizer one can use in ons's baccapatch is Calcium Nitrate , if you wanna have a real Nitrogenbomb , used it myself last and couldn't belive how much it did to the plants.
After watering all the plants one afternoon ( having Cacium Nitrate in the water ) I came back the next day and saw that all the leaves were poiting right up in the sky.
Chit , what has happened was my thought and I was gaspin for air since I was sooo surprised.

Cool POGreen, or maybe I should call you P on green!!! So you have been storing the urine? Any idea about ammonia conversion over time? I hear tobacco doesn't like a lot of urea but I also am aware urea converts in to ammonia or something like that, I'm still fuzzy on the details

POGreen

Mentioning ammonia , I think I read something saying that you should store the urea in airtight plastic container with a threaded lid on top.
I've been using 1/2 a gallon plastic containers ( have many) and further on fill a 5 gallon tank from the smaller one's , and try as much as i can to prevent air to come into the tank.
Oxygen is the one component that makes the urea turn into ammonia.

Think this was the way I read it.

squeezyjohn

Fresh urine is completely sterile, only contains antibiotics if you're taking them at the time, won't contain any alcohol even if you have had loads the night before because the liver will be busy metabolising it and is definitely safe to use on plants.

However care must be taken not to get urine on the plants themselves. Not only is it an unsavoury thought to eat or smoke something that has been splashed by urine - the urine itself will damage the leaves it falls on - especially if it is exposed to direct sun straight after. The burning effects can be reduced by diluting - but it's wise not to get it directly on the plants.

I don't agree with the comment about using methods like this to garden and grow as behaving like I'm in a third world country ... I see organic gardening and making use of waste products that can be beneficial to my plants. Reliance on chemical fertiliser (which I agree is cheap and readily available) is the main reason that western countries are just beginning to realise the soil crisis we're going towards in our agriculture where soil is so eroded and depleted in organic matter now there is a real threat of whole productive areas becoming as barren as deserts. I think the future of farming and growing is going to need a radical re-think - and I think it's happening now having spoken to a few of our local farmers who are beginning to change their minds about such issues.

I'm seriously thinking about building a composting toilet at our house because I have been reading articles about how to make perfectly safe and nitrogen rich compost from the other waste product us humans produce! That's not backwards third-world thinking ... it's enlightened 21st century thinking that realises that the cost of just flushing everything away will soon become unsustainable.

Status
Not open for further replies.