Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

A Kiln, Tobacco, the Process, and Why

DonH

Thank You LeftyRighty I started this thread to give background to help others through the learning curve. It is a hands on guide not a set of instructions, lets say Art with boundaries anything within the boundaries can work.
All on topic input is of value, in sharing our experiences we can all learn.

Have you tried sealed containers? I have found after about 24 to 48 hours of being placed in the kiln moisture spreads through the leaf and becomes pretty uniform through all leaves there are no noticeable wet spots.

"my prior readings indicate that none of the commercial growers directly wet or spray their leaf. they add moisture to the environment" I agree, I think they bring moisture to the leaf with steam but don't know for sure.
How is it you age your tobacco with kiln?
I agree that misting the leaves then heating them in a sealed container won't cause wet spots. Also, thanks Amax, for posting your research and results. I think I'll do the sealed container thing this year. I think it will reduce the failure rate from standard kilning and I won't have to add water to the crockpot every 36 hours. Amax, how can we determine what the heat tolerance is for plastic containers, in other words when outgassing will be a problem?

AmaxB

Don
The first containers I bought were cheap blue one from walmart The lids did not have seals and they were simply storage tubs. I ruined some tobacco with them You could smell them when the kiln was opened and the tainted the taste of the tobacco. The second few containers I bought were made by ZipLoc and labeled all weather food storage also bought at walmart Went to 135F and had no problem with them. So I wanted more of the to use in the kiln and for storage. But could not find them in walmart a few weeks later I saw what looked like knock offs in Lowe's bought one to test and it proved OK. Went back and bought 7 more. Cost was like 17 bucks each. I know they are for sale on line.
I know these are OK to 133F above that I can't say.

This is the plastics code on the bottom of the tub (look for it on your container) and the ZipLoc label
Plastics coed-a.jpg...ZipLoc Label.jpg

holyRYO

Amax picked a good one. PP (5) is polypropylene, good to high temps, no outgassing. Using immersion heaters, people boil adult beverages in PP containers with good results. I would not trust the other plastics for this application, others may work, just not as good at high temps.

A PP garbage can would work well for one of Bob's Cozy Can flue curing chambers, PP can handle 165 F no problem.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Amax picked a good one. PP (5) is polypropylene, good to high temps, no outgassing.
A PP garbage can would work well for one of Bob's Cozy Can flue curing chambers, PP can handle 165 F no problem.
I have often pondered the use of a Rubbermaid Roughneck shed as a kiln, and possibly a flue-cure chamber. It's made of "resin," whatever the hell that means.

I'll have to look into finding a 55 gallon polypropylene garbage can. The 31 gallon galvanized steel can is too small and rusts easily.

I do know that a double-wall Lexan panel can take the heat of a flue-cure.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Most large plastic containers are listed as "tough plastic," polyethylene or the mythical "resin."

The properties of various plastics can be useful information. I've found it difficult to locate a good comparison chart. The following chart is from Dynalab corp.

Plastics_PhysicalProperties_Capture.JPG

download full page pdf

Bob

holyRYO

I have often pondered the use of a Rubbermaid Roughneck shed as a kiln, and possibly a flue-cure chamber. It's made of "resin," whatever the hell that means.

I'll have to look into finding a 55 gallon polypropylene garbage can. The 31 gallon galvanized steel can is too small and rusts easily.

I do know that a double-wall Lexan panel can take the heat of a flue-cure.

Bob

You can find all sizes of PP garbage cans online, but the shipping is killer. Try to find locally, look for the PP or 5 in triangle or both on the bottom. I found 34 gal PP cans at Ace Hardware for $11 a while back.

More ideas, they make huge PP bags for sterlizing stuff in autoclaves, often called Bio Bags for hazordious waste. Bag, thermostat, and a heat pad inside for a low cost kiln(s). Portable... wrap in a sleeping bag for insulation if you want...

Desertpipe

Son of a gun......a fellow asks about a sticky on kilning, and a week later we have one that is top notch. Many thanks Folks, I have a much better understanding.
In the Pipe World, we have a similar process we call "Stoving", which takes place both commercially and on the home blending front. Personally I use the closed environment...Ball/Mason jars and a crock pot dedicated to tobacco (keeps the RedHead happy that I do not use the one for food). I have the tobacco already prepared for blending, and the temperatures are a bit higher, as the old school crock pot is limited to low/medium/high. My thinking has always been that while this process mimics aging a tobacco, in terms of color and taste, it limits how the tobacco will age long term in a blend. I think of "aging" in terms of years in a closed environment....5 to 10 years being optimal for 'Virginia based blends.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Even though some pipe tobacco is stoved, it still needs to be aged before hand. A kiln simply speeds up the aging process from 1 year to about a month.

forumdotabaco

hey Jitterbugdude I just noticed that I know you from youtube , great videos and great thread, thank you

COLIN

Is it important that the containers have a rubber seal on the lid. I have found some suitable containers but they do not have a rubber seal on the lid.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
hey Jitterbugdude I just noticed that I know you from youtube , great videos and great thread, thank you

You'll have to send me the link. I don't have anything on Youtube.. never posted to it. Unless of course you are thinking about when I used to be a stunt double for John Holmes...:rolleyes:

DGBAMA

Is it important that the containers have a rubber seal on the lid. I have found some suitable containers but they do not have a rubber seal on the lid.
The containers I used did not have a seal. Just had to add moisture to the leaves about one a week. I kilned some shredded leaf in heavy duty freezer ziplocs inside the containers and did not have to add any moisture during the entire process.

AmaxB

If doing it like me yes I think so, part of my theory is to try to mimic bulked tobacco in hugshead.