Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Calcium Nitrate and Nitrate of Soda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickey60

Trying to avoid urea nitrogen I was thinking of using nitrate of soda or calcium nitrate for my nitrogen. Has anyone got any thoughts on these. I use calcium nitrate on my tomatoes with good results. Both are 16-0-0.
My grandfather used soda "nitrate of soda" to side dress his garden way back when i was a little boy, he always had a great garden. I need to put some down when i till my rows later this week. So let me know your thoughts on this or if you know of something better.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I quit reading the labels once the seedlings have become plants. The small seedlings are much more susceptible to urea poisoning than the plants. I just go with 10-10-10 granular fertilizer when the plants are in the field. That's what they recommended at the Farmer's Co-op. (take this with a grain of salt, I'm no expert and haven't made a study of it. I did use urea free water soluble in my 1020 trays.)

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Calcium Nitrate is water soluble and does not last long once it is watered into the soil. This is good because once your plants bloom they really do not need anymore N or K. It is also very hydroscopic so make sure you keep it in an airtight container or you will end up with calcium nitrate jelly.

POGreen

I used calcium nitrate last year in my patch and all the leaves on every plant was pointing right up in the sky.
A real nitrogen bomb , I disolved it in my waterbarrels and had a great experience with it.To the better.
Had no problems with it what so ever , plants started to grow like crazy.

forumdotabaco

deluxestogie is right about chlorides, today I call the lab where my soil as been analysed because I didn't understood the chloride analyses, and the engineer there told me that some fertilizers in order to have a better price at the market they use chlorides forms of macro nutrients, and they will remain in the soil and an hight level of chlorides will cause burning problems in the tobacco.
So in conclusion we should avoid urea based fertilizers and chloride based fertilizers

Status
Not open for further replies.