Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Basma tobacco slow growth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markx

I started several varieties of tabacco seeds (basma, bolivia, samsun, adonis, burley) in the same flower pot using peat moss based "uber generic" potting soil and the basma variety is very obviously lagging behind all the others in growth and development. The basma seeds also started to sprout several days later than the rest. They all look healthy, green and nice...just puny compared to the other varieties. So is it normal and a characteristic behaviour for basma or should I supplement some things? Or should I opt for the 10 buck solution...just let it be as it is :D ?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I would just sit back and watch them grow. I've found that each season, some varieties are faster than others, and which variety is faster seems to vary from year to year.

Bob

rainmax

Founding Member
This year Basma seems to grow slower.

On the left is LittleDutch and BSBasma on the right. Seeded and transplanted same day.

littledutch_basmacompare.jpg

This plants are for back up and I didn't clip them.

Markx

Thanks for the replies! Seems to be a characteristic behaviour of the ongoing season then...I'll put my mind to rest, mix myself a nice drink and let the baccy grow :)

forumdotabaco

A few days ago a guy shown me an year calendar with the moon phases and planing dates he argued that we need to seed them in full moon so they will grow faster does anyone know anything about this?

holyRYO

A few days ago a guy shown me an year calendar with the moon phases and planing dates he argued that we need to seed them in full moon so they will grow faster does anyone know anything about this?

I know it works for werewolves.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The gravitational effects of the full moon (opposed to the position of the sun), do influence the ocean tides, and to a much lesser extent ground water tables. New moon (moon and sun pull in the same direction) should create a greater effect. But, it's circling the earth, so I can't picture the physics that would create a planting advantage.

Now, the effects of local weather, soil water content and season (calendar date) clearly have major effects. They're just not as pretty to look at.

Bob

forumdotabaco

Now, the effects of local weather, soil water content and season (calendar date) clearly have major effects. They're just not as pretty to look at.

Bob

I did observe that before I start to think on plant tobacco, and I noticed excellent conditions for tobacco in the zone where I live and and also in the zone where I will have my tobacco this year 126 miles away, in the zone where I live you can even raise some species of tobacco during the winter, and I will try it when I finally get a land here, because in the winter we never go above 30F and I've seen in this website http://b-and-t-world-seeds.co/carth.asp?species=Nicotiana tabacum Montcalme Yellow&sref=69087 that The average, annual, minimum temperature zone where Montcalme Yellow is cold hardy
USDA Zone:8 10° to 20°F (-12° to -6.5°C) and it can look strange but no one ever raised tobacco in this zone professionally, but this is how my country is strange so I'm used ;)
but in the zone where I will plant my tobacco this year is even stranger, because no one as ever did it in that zone, and when I told my father about it he told me , you are crazy if tobacco was a good crop to this zone everyone will do it, did you ever seen anyone doing it here? I said no , there's your answer he said, but the zone as excellent conditions for it during the spring and summer, and even the soil its great, and in some places we even have sandy soils, like in turkey I'm an open minded so I will have to sow some seeds to have indoor just for seed collection, I will talk to the guy that have the calendar and I will do it for the calendar and see if I notice any difference.

Hey holyRYO can you sell me some werewolves seeds? they would be great for protecting my tobacco :)

Knucklehead

Founding Member
The old timers recommend planting while the moon is on the increase (waxing), moving toward a full moon. I planted on the increase this year by accident, I just noticed tonight. We'll compare notes at the end of the season.

Markx

A lot of fine tuning with borderline mystique and magic.....I love it :D !

Status
Not open for further replies.