Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

sweet cigar character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArizonaDave

how do you make your cigar tobacco smoke, taste and smell sweet? Yes its a newbie question sorry guys....
Personally, it's like cooking. Tart, bitter flavors can be combined with different flavors and get a sweet or cream type of taste, or a woody type of taste depending on the leaves you're trying to blend. There's a cigar blend link on this site where a bunch of different guys were sharing their blends.
What do you have on hand?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
It depends on what you mean by "sweet." From a commercial standpoint, "sweetened" (rather than flavored) cigars, such as Baccarat, are given their slight sweetness by using sweet gum as the cigar glue.

Bob

DonH

I would try (will try, because I'm looking for this too) adding a bit of flue cured and Turkish to the filler blend.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
In general, flue-cured tobacco lowers the pH of a cigar, which in turn lowers the available nicotine (unless you inhale the smoke), and renders the taste more like that of a cigarette. Flue-cured in a cigar does have an interesting taste, but it's not a traditional cigar taste.

Bob

webmost

The only sweet cigars I know of are either infused (GACK! PTUI!) or else the guys with sweetened tips literally dipped in sugar water. If you want to evaluate the effect of either of these approaches, shoot me a PM and I'll mail you some with sweetened tips and some chocolate infused.

DonH

In general, flue-cured tobacco lowers the pH of a cigar, which in turn lowers the available nicotine (unless you inhale the smoke), and renders the taste more like that of a cigarette. Flue-cured in a cigar does have an interesting taste, but it's not a traditional cigar taste.

Bob
I was talking about a small amount added to primarily cigar filler. I know you've done that, Bob, how does it turn out?

Ben Brand

Add a strip of dried, ripe fig leave to each cigar, gives a interesting sweet nutty taste and aroma. Saw this tip on coffinails website.
Ben

Tfrankz

I have put the end of the cigar in Benedictine and even a few drops in the filler before. Talk about added taste and a bit sweetness.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Add a strip of dried, ripe fig leave to each cigar, gives a interesting sweet nutty taste and aroma. Saw this tip on coffinails website.
Ben

There might be different kinds of fig trees, but from what I understand (which isn't much)...the leaves can contain a type of latex. Latex can cause irritation to the skin and prolonged exposure to latex can cause allergic reactions. Until someone can verify otherwise, I'd recommend not smoking fig leaves unless you want an itchy mouth.

Dip the tip of your cigar in any liquor (sweet booze) and I think you'll get the effect you're looking for.

Afrohippie82

Personally, it's like cooking. Tart, bitter flavors can be combined with different flavors and get a sweet or cream type of taste, or a woody type of taste depending on the leaves you're trying to blend. There's a cigar blend link on this site where a bunch of different guys were sharing their blends.
What do you have on hand?
Well I will have little dutch,Havana 142, Connecticut broad leaf and and Florida Sumatra once it finishes....

El Gallo

I have found that a good maduro wrapper will give some sweet notes to the cigar. The wrapper doesnt give too much of the overall flavor to the cigar but, the maduro is generally much smoother and less bitter than say a natural connecticut wrapper.

ArizonaDave

Well I will have little dutch,Havana 142, Connecticut broad leaf and and Florida Sumatra once it finishes....

I haven't tried the little dutch yet, but there's another post on this site where one of the members rolled one. I'd have to agree with FmGrowit on the Alcohol, it does work. Rum and Vanilla go together nicely, bourbon on Habano tobaccos, you'll find the right combo for you. Here's a loaded PDF (free) for you IF you decide to go further with it. (I'm looking on pg. 52-53 or so on oils)

http://www.leffingwell.com/download/TobaccoFlavorBook.pdf

Bruck

BTW, if you're just looking for cigars with just a hint of sweetness, as opposed to dipping them in maple syrup, I would recommend using the Ecuador maduro wrapper and including some Nicaraguan seco in the blend.

Ben Brand

The fig leaves I used came from a tree in my garden. Don't know the type, but when they were dry I could smell them from a distance, a nice sweet nutty smell. I've put a thin strip in the middle of the cigars when I rolled them. The taste was nice, slightly sweet, and the smell was even better. No idea what variety of fig it was, but no itchiness. I stored he dry fig leaves in a bag where I store all my offcuts ( short filler) and even long after the fig leaves was finnished the figleaf smell lingered.

Status
Not open for further replies.