Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

drum roll please

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmost

First batch of perfectos is setting up, in a tight lid jar with a humidipak. Wrappers shrinking tight. Might have put too much tobacco in them. Hope they draw. Rolled them entubado, so... we'll see. Got another batch of perfectos bound in the press now. Wet down some wrapper for them last night. It's damping up real nice now in a big flat tupp from the dollar store. Hope to find time to wrap them this evening after handball. Time is at a premium around here. Then they will need a couple days in the press; then a couple more to set up tight. This all means that my packages ought to be ready to go by early next week. Going camping weekend after, so I got to get on the stick. They look ugly but they rolled quick.

Hey, here's a question for ya guys: What's a tobacco beetle look like? Do they run real fast? Pulled some leaves from the bag of WLT Criollo 98 Seco and a beetle raced out of it. Didn't get much of a look at him, cause I had to thumb that bug quick as a wink or he'd have got away. Brown, round, size of a small raisin, fast. Is that a baccabeetle? I do not find any bite holes whatsoever in any of the tobacco. None. I been looking.

Sure looked like this:
440px-Lasioderma_serricorne01.jpg
Question is: Are they fast runners?

Last thing I need is beetles laying eggs in my stash. That's why I put the perfectos aside in a jar, instead of sticking them in a humidor. Just a heads up to contestants: smoke em up don't stash em.

If this is the case, then I'll have to quarantine both the cooler which contains my leaves and the home rolled product of those leaves, put them all in the garage, far from any other stuff. Have to roll it all up, jar the product, clean out the cooler, and disinfect. Unless you guys know some other way to get rid of them. We had a super buggy year here last Summer, cause of all the rain. I grew some black thumb tobacco in the back yard, not too buggy; but over at my surrogate gardener, who did most my plants, bugs ate it all to Swiss cheese. So in reality, this bug might have come from some other batch and crawled into Don's bag. I don't blame them. His Criollo 98 smells so much better.

Nuff babbling. Got to get to work.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Yep, they're fast. The tobacco is fumigated before I get it in. Within a day or two of the bales getting to the warehouse, we bag and seal everything. Sure there's always a chance the beetles survived the trip from the DR, but bacca beetles are everywhere.

Keep your tobacco in the bags they are shipped in and reseal them as best you can.

I'd play it safe and put the sticks and tobacco in the freezer for a couple of days.

I'll check the 98 when I get to the warehouse.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
That sure has the look of a June bug? They are like a moth at night around the porch light and not fast. Out of all the years of growing, I have yet to see one here in NM.

Last edited by a moderator:

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I didn't realize they got to the size of a small raisin. I saw those adhesive strips Don uses to catch them and I thought they were teeny tiny little things, like half the size of a BB. How large do they get?

webmost, how about a perfecto tutorial?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The tobacco beetles that I've seen do move quickly, but they are tiny things (2 to 3 mm at most). Google "tobacco beetle" for various discussions.

The freezer Rx that Don suggested works well. Plan B, at least during the summer, is to seal up your tobacco and place it in a closed automobile for one hot day.

Bob

webmost

Yeah, prolly more the size of a small June bug; certainly not tiny. It was in the evening. It did not attempt to flutter wings. It ran fast. Who knows? It's not like there aren't enough different types of beetles in this world.

Meanwhile, Knuck asks: "webmost, how about a perfecto tutorial?" Sure, you got one I'd be glad to read it. I need it.

Me, I have given up on making good perfectos. At one time, I thought I would take extra special long careful care until I could do it right, and then work to do it faster. That flopped. So now my plan is I'll make them fast and then work toward making them better. I don't think they are coming out any worse fast. And the thing is, if it's gonna take me a thousand rolls to make a good perfecto, well, let's get it over with, fer cryin out loud.

buck

Suggestion. Just put it in a small hard boxy thing ( that doesn't dent easely) and send it by air post, cheapest airpost.
Just put something exept cigars on the parcel. Ive send some seeds to Don and cigars to my son in the Uk and it wasn't that expensive The customs on this side is almost non existing. Dont send it priority post or anything fancy. Hope I'm not talking out of turn here. If you feel its to much hassle just scrap our names, although it would be fun, and I did start practicing last night, wit catastrophic results.

Same here. I can pay for all of shipping just send it regular post, small box and there should be no issue with customs.

webmost

Five packages in the mail just now. I think that international hassle shows just how insecure we are. Takes about one buck for postage and eight bucks for paperwork, and accomplishes nothing.

Smoked one of these perfectos last night. Holy Hannah what a fine smoke that blend makes. Criollo 98 seco filler, Dominican binder, Ecuador Maduro wrapper. Only thing I would change is the wrapper. Talking with Don yesterday, think I ought to have gone with Habano instead of maduro. Still kinda tight on the draw. Hoping a bit of time will cure that.

And it left me with a great morning mouth. Really enjoyed that with coffee this morning.

webmost

Picked up six more contestants at cigar.com. Four of them I have to devise a beginner rolling kit, cause they have no supplies. I figure enough to roll half a dozen cigars. Got plenty of filler and wrapper; but have to scrounge for some binder. That's the one thing I am short on. Then have to devise a good package.

So far, I've got:

from fairtradetobacco forum:

Mad Oshea
Ben Brand
Indianamac
Buck
BigDog

from cigar.com:

Walt Basil (with KIT)
Roland
Morgan Geo (with KIT)
ShadowInTheMoon (with KIT)
Echambers (with KIT)
Puff Dougie

Those last six cigar packages going out today.

That's the field. Closed to new entries.

buck

Picked up six more contestants at cigar.com. Four of them I have to devise a beginner rolling kit, cause they have no supplies. I figure enough to roll half a dozen cigars. Got plenty of filler and wrapper; but have to scrounge for some binder. That's the one thing I am short on. Then have to devise a good package.

So far, I've got:

Mad Oshea
Ben Brand
Indianamac
Buck
BigDog

from cigar.com:

Walt Basil (with KIT)
Roland
Morgan Geo (with KIT)
Echambers (with KIT)
Puff Dougie

Wow, ok so now its fairtrade vs cigar.com, bring it on !

webmost

Now it turns out ALL of them need kits. We may just turn some premium cigar smokers on to the joy of rolling your own.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break

So far, I've got:

Mad Oshea
Ben Brand
Indianamac
Buck
BigDog

from cigar.com:

Walt Basil (with KIT)
Roland
Morgan Geo (with KIT)
Echambers (with KIT)
Puff Dougie

I guess it is all in folks! Six to five? webmost is going to have a great Birthday as well as I. Now for the judge- A nice hand rolled for You Sir! MY TREAT!And My style......... Happy Birthday Sir. and a great one at that. Would Like the folks on cigar.com to join Us ?

webmost

No bribing the judge sir.
That's not good form.

You never know; some of those brothers may get enthused once they smell that raw leaf and wind up over here.
I don't see how a cigar lover would not.
Once you stick your arms to the elbows into that wonderful raw tobacco leaf smell, you get hooked.
Nuthin like it.
That's a fact.
I didn't make it up.

Fact I'm just going to go do it now.

Indianamac

Received my competition cigar today! Thanks for the others also..Will send my best drumstick perfecto along with a birthday suprise, before long!

Once again webmost, great idea for gett'n the gifts and swaps go'n..

webmost

Yeah, I tried to pull some guys from that puff.com, but I don't have enough time as member nor enough posts on their forum to view much less post anything in their swap section.

First entries are in from cigar.com:
0524142338_zps6857f9de.jpg

Two classic viotolas: The carrot and the stick!

Can anyone here beat that?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Those are nice sticks for their first try. Tell those cigar.com boys KUDOS from FTT.

Status
Not open for further replies.