Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Michibacy 2014 Grow Log

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I'm assembling a tobacco cart (towable) tonight for my farm, and transporting the tobacco 42 miles NW back to my farm where it will be aged and kilned. We are running out of warm weather so I'm going to have to start using artificial heat sadly.

I've decided to let them cure (mostly) on the stalk compared to priming as our humidity can range quite a bit during this odd season.

Also, got the chainsaw roaring finally, put a new bar and chain on it and am starting my first year back with wood heat. 11 face of ash oak and maple should last us awhile hopefully.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Taking a long time to cure some of these plants but that's ok (as long as it stays decently warm and humid). amazingly, the only picture I took of this was the side with the bud bags and the lower quality tobacco I grew, oh well, it works for demonstration purposes.

To give you a rough idea, this rack is 8.5 foot long, 2 feet wide at the base and 4 feet high. The frame alone was about 200 pounds before I put the plants on it. As I need a new tractor tire, I wasn't able to tow this into the barn, so I attached a 2x2 as a shoulder lift and wheeled it to the other side of the farm by hand. (Not fun) Next season I'll install a hitch.

photo 2.JPG

BarG

Founding Member
Maybe a start for a boomerang catcher , what should we brainstorm this.
I give you 100% for effort. heheh and 100% for craftsman ship. And another 100% for a good laugh. Even if you sold some it would be funny. You might as well be an old viking out there selling your wares.

BarG

Founding Member
Taking a long time to cure some of these plants but that's ok (as long as it stays decently warm and humid). amazingly, the only picture I took of this was the side with the bud bags and the lower quality tobacco I grew, oh well, it works for demonstration purposes.

To give you a rough idea, this rack is 8.5 foot long, 2 feet wide at the base and 4 feet high. The frame alone was about 200 pounds before I put the plants on it. As I need a new tractor tire, I wasn't able to tow this into the barn, so I attached a 2x2 as a shoulder lift and wheeled it to the other side of the farm by hand. (Not fun) Next season I'll install a hitch.

View attachment 13193

I grew up carrying that much wood in one arm load.

BarG

Founding Member
I'm amazed if you sale You really need a tote goat.Do you know what that is? That is someone to do your heavey lifting.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, Jeremy. I didn't mean to start a joke fest.

I think if it had larger wheels, that were closer to the center of gravity (but still in front of it), it might be easier to roll by hand.

Bob

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I did what I could with what I had, in under 20 minutes before it rained. I'm by no means proud haha. I didn't spend any money either. Had the axel for the scrap pile at work.If I rebuild it, I will surely reuse this as a trebuchet, thanks for all your guys' ideas!

:rolleyes:

It gives me enough un obstructed room to load enough sticks with needing more supports. If anyone wants to volunteer to help me haul it by hand to the granary next year be my guest!

Brown Thumb

I personally like what MB Did. He could have thrown it in the back of his truck. Chit that is cheating.
I can relate, you need wheels if no one is at the other end.
BT

DGBAMA

For rolling by hand, a couple 16" bicycle wheels would make it a lot easier. But the fact that it got the job done without spending money makes the kart a success,, no matter how it looks or how much work it was.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
The tires that are on it are ag tires typically used on a 80 gallon sprayers, I would be concerned about the spindle bending. I did try to implement triangles into the design for strength. Yup it looks horrible but I can do lifts on it so id say it's doing it's purpose just fine haha

and thanks for the kind words!

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I personally like what MB Did. He could have thrown it in the back of his truck. Chit that is cheating.
I can relate, you need wheels if no one is at the other end.
BT

i did bring it in the truck from the other farm, but I have a septic being installed between the drive and granary so no heavy trucks!

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
In the tobacco barn: Well, alot of my flue cured varieties didn't cure perfectly (as per usual in Michigan, it seems). Along with a late harvest. I will try and kiln them, they are a very dark green, ALMOST brown. I will try and finish the mini-kiln soon, before it gets too cold out

On the farm: Finishing up the living room this evening (painting), it's been a long road but it's worth it. It's not a perfect dry wall look, but a nice pretty much finished plaster wall look. The one wall is "Spanish Tile" the rest are a creamy sand color. Also, our septic system and well are being started today. Holy hell it's taking a long time, I'm not looking forward to the yard being a mess either...

In the family: I'm really freaking excited about this: My wife and I are expecting our first child in June!!!

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Thanks Bob! It appears my days of painting haven't slowed down...the baby room is next...I think I've spent more in paint this year than gasoline...

Status
Not open for further replies.