Ottoman
Samsun
Dark fire / air cured
True Conn. Broad Leaf

Let me know if anyone needs plants .

Larry

DrBob

Founding Member
I can attest to Larry's plants! They ship well in the mail and have good roots. They quickly establish themselves in the ground.
Dr.Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Honestly, for the amount of work that goes into starting seeds, it's almost not worth doing it if you can get good quality seedlings. I'm not trying to give Larry an assignment, but if he's will to do it, I'll buy every year.

DrBob

Founding Member
With some reluctance I ordered all of my seedlings from bigbonner this year. I did not plant a single seed myself. I bet the farm that they would ship well and would be a better seedling than I could produce. The bet was a good one! The plants shipped well and were healthy.
I really do not have a good spot for starting seedlings. If larry will do it again next year I will get my seedlings from him again. It is the ONLY WAY TO GO for me.
Dr.Bob

L

Leafonly

Larry
Im very interested in hearing more about the leaves and pricing available. What your full name by the way. Also would I be able to see samples and what type of supply do you have for the year of each leaves available.

Thanks,

Richard Stone

Last edited by a moderator:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Richard,
Welcome to the forum. I have purchased leaf from leafonly.com in the past. Their quality is good, and they do have a number of commercial varieties that are difficult to locate elsewhere. You might, though, have a look at the stunning variety of unique leaf available from BigBonner and wholeLeafTobacco.com. With nearly 2000 recognized varieties of tobacco in existence, it's a pity that most consumers limit their choices to "country" designated tobacco, rather than specific varietals.

Better yet, consider growing your own personal choices of tobacco. Producing your own premium quality cigars is far easier than the cut-and-paste journalism of "tobacco experts" would lead you to believe. Have a look around this site.

I have found the pleasure of growing my own tobacco to be far more addictive than any alkaloid.

Enjoy.

Bob

L

Leafonly

I love the process of dealing with my whole leaf a addictive pleasure as well it's my ritual you might say LOL. I do find the RYO much better. I may try growing some leaves in the near future but figure the land and time it will take is more than I'm willing or able to commit at the moment.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If you click on My Profile (upper right) and add your location to your profile, it will be helpful to other members in responding to your questions. In asking for recommendations, it's helpful if you indicate your prefered use for tobacco (cigarette, chew, cigars, pipe, etc.), since different varieties are more suitable for different uses.

How many plants are you thinking of planting?

Bob

BillyBob

I have attempted several times to grow from seed. Last time I over fertilized and burned them up. I just want some nice plants that would do well in West Virginia to make some cigarette tobacco. Since your the expert I would go with what you recommend so I can buy some.

BillyBob

BigBonner

Founding Member
Billybob

Howdy neighbor , I live in KY and I can grow any type of tobacco that there is . I would believe that you can to . I know Deluxestogie has some great crops where he is .
I will have several differnt varietys of plants from cigar , pipe , cigarette to chew .

Send me a pm with what type you may want .

Larry

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
The way things are looking for me, I might be buying from you too Larry. I'm going to cut back this year and olny do 3 acres though...so that shouldn't be too tough.

How big of a truck will I need for 350 flats?

BigBonner

Founding Member
The way things are looking for me, I might be buying from you too Larry. I'm going to cut back this year and olny do 3 acres though...so that shouldn't be too tough.

How big of a truck will I need for 350 flats?

A big one . I get 75 to 85 trays laying flat on a 8 X 20 ft wagon . Say average 160 ( count loss plants ) plants per tray and 7200 plants per acre , 150 trays would set 3 acres .

BillyBob

I am new to this. I have attempted twice to grow tobacco from seed. First time nothing sprouted at all. The second time they sprouted and came up to about 1 inch high. Then I fertilized them and burned them up. So I just wanted to buy a few plants to grow for cigarette tobacco. Something that would grow well in West Virginia. I am not up on the different tobaccos. So I am trusting who I buy from to steer me in the right direction.

BillyBob

I have
Burley 204 ,206 , 209, N 129 and TN 90
Bright Leaf
Havanna
Maryland 609
Ottoman
Samsun
Dark fire / air cured
True Conn. Broad Leaf

Let me know if anyone needs plants .

Larry

DrBob

Founding Member
Billy Bob
I bought my seedlings from big bonner last year. My biggest fear was the seedlings surviving shipping in the mail. They shipped well and grew just fine! His seedlings were superior to anything I could grow in my makeshift growing setup.
I have ordered my seedlings for this year from him again, it is the best way for me to go.

I only grow 200 - 250 plants so I anit no expert. But that is all I need to supply me with all the tobacco I need and then some. I ordered 100 tn-90 burley and 100 cc13 virginia for myself nothing fancy but it works for me.

Larry is a farmer and a good guy too. He makes his living growing tobacco and beef. Selling seedlings is just a sidline for him I don't know where he finds the time.
Dr.Bob

eugene

I don't right now Larry but i might a little later. What i need now is some virginia gold leaf. Eugene

Status
Not open for further replies.