Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tutorial: How to destroy a float tray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Directions for destroying a float tray

1. Build a box to contain your float tray.
2. Place box on a thick piece of insulation.
3. Place a heat mat with a thermostat and temperature probe onto the insulation.
4. Place box onto heat mat, fill with water, add float tray and place temp probe into the water.
5. Set temp to 80F and do not confirm that the thermostat is calibrated by using a thermometer placed in the water.
6. Proceed to cook for about 6 weeks.
7. Remove float tray from box and plant your tobacco.

If you have done this correctly you will notice that your float tray is now warped and that it has managed to soak up about 16 ounces of water (as verified with a Ohaus scale).

Here is the set up if you want to try this....

DSCN1589.jpg

A little better view of the overall system (with temp probe setting on top of box)

DSCN1588.jpg

A not so good photo showing the extreme warping that occurs on the bottom of the float tray.

DSCN1597.jpg

So, give it a try and let me know your results.

DGBAMA

Plants look great. Maybe they absorbed some sort of micro nutrient from the deteriorating styrofoam?

Brown Thumb

Heck, I will try that next year if I can get my plants that size.
They look Great.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Have you tried lining the box with plastic sheeting?

I did originally but I went back and poured beeswax in it. Being a beekeeper I have an unlimited supply of it. This past spring when I pulled it out of storage it had quite a few leaks, hence the caulk around the perimeter. I believe what happened was I let it set outside (in a shed) from about May until March. I think with the constant contracting and expanding from the weather that the was seal was broken. Next year I might make a 2 float tray box.

Status
Not open for further replies.