Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Organic casing

Status
Not open for further replies.

abador

I am growing some tobacco this year and I am trying to keep it as close to organic as I can. I think the stuff that captain black puts on their tobacco to make it smell good is called a casing so that is what I am going by for the terminology. Is there any way to put an organic casing on tobacco to avoid the extra chemicals or is it all chemical filled? Can I make my own or is there any where I can buy the organic variety? I might also be interested in buying casing if it's not organic but if it is that's a huge plus. Trying to keep the chemicals to a minimum if possible.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
In pipe tobacco language a "casing" is what is used to give the tobacco its flavor and a "topping" is what is used to give the tobacco a good smell aka "room note" I know of no organic casings that are sold specifically for pipe tobacco so you'll have to experemint like most of us. Maple syrup, anise and cocoa to name a few might work as well as rum. Additionally, some type of sugar is usually(but not always) added. Experiment. Start out in small batches. There are a few guys here that have posted their trials and tribulations of making flavored pipe tobacco.

The flavoring agents used in the pipe tobacco world are a closely guarded secret. Mac Baren though, says they add maple syrup to their blends.

Edit, interesting article: http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/a-tale-of-two-syrups-casings-and-top-dressings/

Last edited:

Desertpipe

One must be careful when using sugar as a casing. Both honey and maple syrup contain a form of sugar called invert sugar, and work well as a casing. Regular table sugar, high fructose corn syrup and flavored alcohols (which can contain both sugar and HFCS) can lead to a sever case of tongue bite when used as a casing.

abador

So what would the process be to add the maple syrup? Does it work well as a topping as well? Do they sell the topings anywhere?

DGBAMA

In making Cavendish, natural flavorings like honey, maple, vanilla, anise, etc. Can be added to the water used to steam the leaf. Or dilute the maple, honey, etc. With grain alcohol and spray the leaf directly to bring into high case, then allow to dry to desired moisture content. Commercial baccy uses a little glycerin as a humectant to keep the baccy from drying out.

jojjas

Dont use any humectant in your baccy , i did do that as i consider, error when i first start to doing my own pipetobaccos , it will couse tongue bite , not at all pleasant
I should not consider it organic but i , 2-3 tonquin beans and pour on some pure alcohol 99% and let them stay in for 3 days , use sparingley on baccy leafs

Bruck

One must be careful when using sugar as a casing. Both honey and maple syrup contain a form of sugar called invert sugar, and work well as a casing. Regular table sugar, high fructose corn syrup and flavored alcohols (which can contain both sugar and HFCS) can lead to a sever case of tongue bite when used as a casing.

What about molasses or sorghum? Do they contain the invert sugar as well?

DonH

To add honey or maple syrup as a casing, I like to add a teaspoon of it to 8 oz water and then spray it on the tobacco. You can also add other flavorings to the solution like cocoa extract or licorice extract. A little rum or whiskey also works well for pipe tobacco.

DonH

Molasses would probably work too but I've never tried it. One thing I want to try is what Istanbulin said is used on Turkish pipe blends: reduced grape juice. Just boil off some of the water from the grape juice until it is syrupy.

Desertpipe

Sorry folks, been out of the loop for a few days getting a rather nasty fall looked after....a bit fuzzy here at the moment.

Bruck...never used molasses or sorghum as a flavoring agent in any of my blends, and will have to look into those to see if they contain any refined sugars (which seem to be the problem.) I learn most of my lessons on casings/toppings the hard way at least once...which is the case with the flavored Bourbons. Bit the heck out of me when fresh, which led to a conversation with Russ at P&C about "sugars in tobacco flavoring agents".

Abador...I am sure there are places to purchase flavorings, but I tend to create my own out of alcohols and invert sugars as a base....natural or organic vanilla and other readily available food based additives. I enjoy the experimental aspect of creating, as much as the reaction to the final product.

Desertpipe

A google of invert sugar produced book sized list of sources, as well as an explanation of the reason to use it....it acts as a natural humectant and retards crystallization of the sugar.

abador

I googled invert sugar and it came up as naturally occurring sugars found in fruit and honey. I keep my own bees so this might be a great way to utilize the product of the hive. Does honey cause tongue bite?

Desertpipe

Honey also contains a number of types of sugars in super saturated form. A tongue bite is almost assured, at least in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.