Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Storing filler

Status
Not open for further replies.

moscca

After e few weeks opening and closing my filler bags, the filler became to moist.
I'm planning to buy some airtight containers and some 32% Boveda bags.
Good idea ?

Jan.

MarcL

It really is humid there huh? That sounds good. I know Dons bags are pretty air tight. I know rice is also good for drawing moisture. Your working with the opposite conditions then I am it seems. I will try not to go into my bags to often. They'll dry out. I'll have to ad moisture to work with it.

Bruck

That should work. I have the same problem as MarcL - too arid. In fact I'm pretty close geographically to him. We'll probably have your same problem during the swampy, hot summer here. I usually have to add moisture before making the filler as well.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
After e few weeks opening and closing my filler bags, the filler became to moist.
Good idea ?

Jan.

The Boveda bags or pacs are a good idea I think. I like the two-way technology. They will add moisture or take away moisture to maintain a steady humidity. Most of the little humidity packs just add moisture and the silica beads just take away moisture. The Boveda technology does both.

moscca

It really is humid there huh? That sounds good. I know Dons bags are pretty air tight. I know rice is also good for drawing moisture. Your working with the opposite conditions then I am it seems. I will try not to go into my bags to often. They'll dry out. I'll have to ad moisture to work with it.

Now it is dry season and Rh is around 75, October till January between 85-100.
Will order them today.

Jan.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i use them silica packets.. you find in a bag of beef jerky.....

i keep 1 gallon jars full of shredded bacca. and have 3 packets in each jar...

ArizonaDave

Humidity in AZ, at least in the house is 30%, probably lower outside. We're getting ready to head into 15% humidity next week. So, yes, I have to mist my filler too! I can set it out, and it's dry in an hour. so I only pull a few out at a time.

janetta007

i use them silica packets.. you find in a bag of beef jerky.....

i keep 1 gallon jars full of shredded bacca. and have 3 packets in each jar...

I was wondering if those worked. My question has been answered. Thanks Chicken

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I was wondering if those worked. My question has been answered. Thanks Chicken

Chicken lives in Florida with really high humidity and probably uses the silica to keep the tobacco from molding. If your part of Texas is dry, you won't need the silica paks.

Jtravis

Good idea ?

i know this is an old thread but did you end up using those 32% Boveda bags moscca? if so how did they affect your filler?

Jan.

Does anyone happen to know of a decent rh level for storing filler? I been able to get away with storing it in those weather seal type containers and haven't had any huge problems but I'm wondering if those boveda packs (or something similar would help even more.

MarcL

Does anyone happen to know of a decent rh level for storing filler? I been able to get away with storing it in those weather seal type containers and haven't had any huge problems but I'm wondering if those boveda packs (or something similar would help even more.

Maybe below 60 if your not going to roll with it. above 75 or more it will start to ferment or mold if the temperature is high. you can leave it dry with out a problem besides turning it to dust if it gets over handled. I wonder why or what your asking.

Jtravis

Most of my filler is in the right case to work with most of the time....I just leave it in the bags it comes in and then store those in a container. However, I do come across some filler that's a little too dry or not usable at all in the case it's in.
It's not a big deal since it doesn't happen often. I just thought maybe something like those Boveda packs could help

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
With WLT tobacco in its poly-Nylon vapor-proof bags, the leaf will maintain pretty much the same case in which it arrived, once the bag is opened, so long as you promptly roll the open end, and clip it (with a clothespin, etc.) after every use. Each time it is opened in a low humidity environment, it loses a bit of moisture. If it gets too dry, I simply pull it all out, lightly mist the exterior of the handful of leaf (not each leaf) with water, then replace it. It then equilibrates over the next few hours. My goal, when I do that, is to return the leaf to low case, so that it won't fracture when handled. With a little trial and error, you can avoid too much moisture.

If the leaf in the bag has become bone dry, that does not create an issue, so long as it is not handled. To use it as filler, a very light misting and a few minutes of rest will bring it back to low case for immediate use.

For storage of kilned, home-grown leaf, I use 3-mil poly-Nylon bags from Uline: https://www.uline.com/BL_5563/Vacuum-Bags I purchased a carton of 10" x 30" bags, then split the cost with another forum member. The 10" x 30" bags will hold even my biggest leaf (which sometimes requires folding the tips). The initial cost ($130 for 500 bags--26 cents per bag) seems high, but my half-share of the purchase has eliminated the mad scramble to locate appropriate storage as each batch of leaf comes out of the kiln. Most WLT bags are 5 mil (I believe), but the 3 mil bags from Uline do the job.

Garden20170116_2419_polyNylonBag_600.jpg

Huge hand of Long Red, folded to fit.

Bob

burge

I have some lemon that has been in the bags over a year and so far they look good. I think the 5mm thickness will keep it that way for a long time

Status
Not open for further replies.