Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Info On casing

Info On casing

Just a little filler for you all that are playing with casing.

There are two types of "sugars" used for casing. These are Reducing Sugars and Non Reducing Sugars.

Reducing Sugars: These include glucose, fructose and invert sugar. These are considered more chemically reactive than non reducing sugars
    Non Reducing Sugars: sucrose

Reducing sugars react with the free amino acids (FAA) in the tobacco leaf as well as with the FAAs from other substances such as cocoa and licorice. These are very pH dependant.
    The reaction is usually not a complete reaction so a secondary casing is often added. This is where the non reducing sugars come in to play. Brown sugar or regular white sugar are often used.

Non reducing sugars caramalize more than reducing sugars.

Honey is a mix of glucose and fructose. The ratio changes depending on the type of honey.

Re: Info in casing

Quote Originally Posted by Jitterbugdude View Post
    Nice info.

Bob

Ironically, this thread should be a sticky.

The reaction is usually not a complete reaction so a secondary casing is often added. This is where the non reducing sugars come in to play. Brown sugar or regular white sugar are often used.
    So the reaction takes place directly after casing, not during burn?
    Would heating the cased leaf help? Or aging? (That´s what I do currently - let it rest in a jar for as long as possible.)

I believe the "magic" of casing occurs when you burn the tobacco.

That´s what I thought, but wonder about the "secondary casing". Can you elaborate on that?

The secondary casing would come in to play if say you make a batch of casing consisting of maple syrup and cocoa but it doesn't quite give you the taste you are looking for. Adding a secondary casing just might let the sugars react more with the free amino acids thereby giving you the taste you are looking for. This scenario doesn't include adding a topping which also might react with your tobacco and change the flavor again.

Re: Info On casing

Does this mean that you will get more sweetness and less burned sugar taste out of reducing sugars?

What about dextrins, and maltose? Maltose is a non-reducing sugar, no?

Quote Originally Posted by FmGrowit View Post
    Ironically, this thread should be a sticky.
    I see what you did there ^...
    "We make our own Whiskey and our own smoke too, aint too many things these ol' boys cain't do..." -A Country Boy Can Survive ,Hank Williams Jr.

Entubado...its how I roll

Re: Info On casing

Just a little filler for you all that are playing with casing.

There are two types of "sugars" used for casing. These are Reducing Sugars and Non Reducing Sugars.

Reducing Sugars: These include glucose, fructose and invert sugar. These are considered more chemically reactive than non reducing sugars
    Non Reducing Sugars: sucrose

Reducing sugars react with the free amino acids (FAA) in the tobacco leaf as well as with the FAAs from other substances such as cocoa and licorice. These are very pH dependant.

Honey is a mix of glucose and fructose. The ratio changes depending on the type of honey.
    How about molasses ? I'm thinking that this sugar casing is being referred to the chewing tobacco crowd. Somewhere in my years I read a buckskinners book that explained how chewing tobacco was made . a Maple log or beam had a series of large holes bored into its length ,tobacco and flavorings (including rum,vanilla,honey,molasses were mostly used) were then alternately packed into these holes and a wooden bung much like a barrel or plug forced by mallet to seal the hole . This was let to age over a period of time up in a barn rafters and then as needed the then aged,fermented and flavored chewing tobacco was removed for use by sawing off at a particular hole and removing the "plug" of tobacco .
    "We make our own Whiskey and our own smoke too, aint too many things these ol' boys cain't do..." -A Country Boy Can Survive ,Hank Williams Jr.

Entubado...its how I roll

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast