Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Mold making materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
How hard is the leaf prep for using a mold anyway"Whats ivolved in the process? I have never really seen it discussed or described much..

It would make a good thread for the pro practitioners.

webmost

How hard is the leaf prep for using a mold anyway"Whats ivolved in the process? I have never really seen it discussed or described much..

It would make a good thread for the pro practitioners.

In my slender experience, the number one gigantic humongo advantage of using a mold is it FORCES me to use the right amount of leafage and the correct tapering of said leafage in order to make consistent sized perfectos. When hand rolling robustos, I had sizes all over the map.

That's the only leaf-prep item I can think of, is pinching just the right amount of leaf. .. Other than that, I use my seco seco, my binder pliable, and my wrapper damp, just as when rolling freehand.

Bruck

In my slender experience, the number one gigantic humongo advantage of using a mold is it FORCES me to use the right amount of leafage and the correct tapering of said leafage in order to make consistent sized perfectos. When hand rolling robustos, I had sizes all over the map.

That's the only leaf-prep item I can think of, is pinching just the right amount of leaf. .. Other than that, I use my seco seco, my binder pliable, and my wrapper damp, just as when rolling freehand.

What he said.

The converse is, using a mold will let you know pretty quickly if you have inconsistent filling along the length.

moscca

Only the bound bunch (bunch with binder) goes into the mold. After the cigar is wrapped, it's finished and doesn't go back onto the mold. The molds are actually undersized a hair to allow for the correct ring gauge after the wrapper is applied.

I sent two molds to a CNC shop and they're too expensive to make unless I order 1000. I am bringing in some brand spankin' new wood molds. The sizes are 44, 50 and 52 x 8. I should be able to sell them for right around $100 each.

I'm interested in the 50 gauge mold. Are they available yet ? Any pictures ?

Jan.

webmost

I asked Smith at FX Smiths one time whether they had old molds still sitting round the attic. He told me when he was a kid, he and his brother were set to the task of cleaning them all out. They stacked them up as firewood, hundreds and hundreds, and burnt them on the hearth.

Heartbreaking, isn't it?

Ben Brand

Bigdog kindly sent me one of his rollers for robustos, and I modified the pvc molds a bit with quick set putty to round the cigars off at the back. Works nicely. I turned a bit of wood the right size to mould the putty.
m1.jpgm2.jpg

Gdaddy

Bigdog kindly sent me one of his rollers for robustos, and I modified the pvc molds a bit with quick set putty to round the cigars off at the back. Works nicely. I turned a bit of wood the right size to mould the putty.
View attachment 11070View attachment 11071

That's really cool! What quick set putty did you use? It adheres to the PVC ok ? Is that a wooden dowel that's been shaped by hand on a lathe?

Ben Brand

Formed the dowel on a bench drill. The putty is a product called Pratley Putty. I just made a few grooves in the pvc pipe to adhere the putty to the pipe. Working like a dream!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.